ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long is NARIC certificate valid for meeting English Req?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

matt1020
Mood:

How long is NARIC certificate valid for meeting English Req?

Post by matt1020 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am

Dear Forum,

I am British and the sponsor for my wife, who is a non-EU citizen. We moved to the UK in December 2014, so we're halfway through the 5-year route and compiling evidence for an FLR(M) application next month.

My wife has an overseas degree which meets the English requirement CEFR C1, and we obtained an official NARIC certificate dated 7th January 2015 confirming this.

The section of the current Immigration Rules relating to Evidence of English Language Requirements states that any English language test needs to have been taken no more than than two years before the date of application. Does this mean that we will need to obtain a new certificate from NARIC (as our existing one is now more than two years old), or does a NARIC certificate effectively have no expiry date in terms of evidencing this requirement?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

SimonS

Re: How long is NARIC certificate valid for meeting English

Post by SimonS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:38 pm

From what I can ascertain, the NARIC only expires if the institution or degree ceases to be on the approved list. The sections that I think apply here are 4.3 and 4.4 on p17 of the following

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_1.21.pdf

The section you refer to is applicable to somebody that has actually taken a specific test because they do not meet the requirement in another way.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... uage-tests

As I understand the NARIC is not a test. It is a certificate that confirms a significant portion of the degree program was taught in English at the required level.

See paragraph 7.10 - Degree taught in English.....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... h-language

I'm not an expert and this is only my opinion formed by reading the relevant sections of the rules (given above)

Hope this helps.
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.

matt1020
Mood:

Re: How long is NARIC certificate valid for meeting English

Post by matt1020 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Thank you Simon, that's very helpful. I will read the links you have provided - M.