ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family of settled person visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Family of settled person visa

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:33 pm
So, just to clarify, you have been absent from the UK for 8 years (ILR automatically expires after 2 years, unless you have strong connections to the UK) and while abroad, you married and effectively started new family life abroad. Can you see why the Home Office may conclude that your connections to the UK are not that particularly strong and therefore that you do not qualify for a Returning Resident visa?

How many years did you live in the UK?
Hi Guys,

i am British national (naturalised). My wife and 7 years old daughter lives in Pakistan.
My daughter has got the ILR while in UK.She got ILR in December 2012 valid till December 2017.Her ILR card is expired now.

She lived in UK just for Two years.She was born in Pakistan.

Can she be eligible for returning resident visa (ILR)....I am in Uk from last 12 years and working full time.

Can my presence be a strong tie or not....because she is minor.

Please advise.

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Family of settled person visa

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:33 am

What is the UK immigration status of the mother?

The general rule of thumb is that the UK immigration status of children born abroad is inline with that of the less privileged parent.

I suspect that the mother and daughter will have to move to the UK on a five year spousal visa route and then reapply for ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am

To avoid confusion thread has been split from the other member's topic where the post had been tagged onto.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:52 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:33 am
What is the UK immigration status of the mother?

The general rule of thumb is that the UK immigration status of children born abroad is inline with that of the less privileged parent.

I suspect that the mother and daughter will have to move to the UK on a five year spousal visa route and then reapply for ILR.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.The mother is Pakistani national and she was here in UK once on PBS Tier 1 dependent visa.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi guys,

I see this post at the following link

Third party weblink removed by moderator.

CHILD VISAS
If you are a child under 18 living overseas and you have a parent or other relative who is either settled or applying for settlement in the UK, then you may be eligible to enter and remain in the UK indefinitely.

If you are the child under 18 of a parent who has, or is applying for, limited leave as a partner (spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner) of a British citizen or settled person then you may be eligible for leave in line with your parent.

What are the main eligibility requirements for a Child visa?
Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK as a Child

An application for indefinite leave to enter the UK as the child of a settled parent or relative may be appropriate in the following circumstances:

Where the child is coming to the UK to live with both parents and either:
Both parents are British citizens or have indefinite leave to remain, or are being admitted on the same occasion for settlement; or
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and the other parent is applying to come to the UK.
Where the child is coming to the UK to live with only one parent and either:
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and the other parent is dead; or
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and that parent has had sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and there are serious and compelling family or other considerations that mean that it would be undesirable to exclude the child from the UK.
Where the child is coming to live with another relative who is not their parent and:
The relative is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and there are serious and compelling family or other considerations that mean that it would be undesirable to exclude the child from the UK.
Additionally, the child will have to show that they satisfy the following requirements:

They are related to the parent or other relative as claimed; and
They are under 18 at the date of application; and
They are not married, in a civil partnership or leading an independent life; and
There is adequate accommodation and maintenance for the child, without relying on public funds.

So does it mean i can apply for my daughter the ILE as she is applying with her mother (who is applying spouse visa).

Please advise...Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 pm

No it does not mean that. It would only apply if the mother and father held ILR.

Child will get a visa in line with the mother and will qualify for ILR when the mother does.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 pm
No it does not mean that. It would only apply if the mother and father held ILR.

Child will get a visa in line with the mother and will qualify for ILR when the mother does.
Thanks for the swift reply.

Can you please give me a link for this rule...much appreciated...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Immigration rules part 8, pont 297(i)(a)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members

Where the mother applies for a spouse visa, the child applies as well and will get a visa valid for the same period as the mother.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 pm

What is this ILR card that you are talking about that is valid for 5 years. I have never heard of it.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Babajee85 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm
Hi guys,

CHILD VISAS
If you are a child under 18 living overseas and you have a parent or other relative who is either settled or applying for settlement in the UK, then you may be eligible to enter and remain in the UK indefinitely.

If you are the child under 18 of a parent who has, or is applying for, limited leave as a partner (spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner) of a British citizen or settled person then you may be eligible for leave in line with your parent.

An application for indefinite leave to enter the UK as the child of a settled parent or relative may be appropriate in the following circumstances:

Both parents are British citizens or have indefinite leave to remain, or are being admitted on the same occasion for settlement; or
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and the other parent is applying to come to the UK.
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and the other parent is dead; or
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and that parent has had sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and there are serious and compelling family or other considerations that mean that it would be undesirable to exclude the child from the UK.
Where the child is coming to live with another relative who is not their parent and:
The relative is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain, and there are serious and compelling family or other considerations that mean that it would be undesirable to exclude the child from the UK.
Additionally, the child will have to show that they satisfy the following requirements:

They are not married, in a civil partnership or leading an independent life; and
There is adequate accommodation and maintenance for the child, without relying on public funds.

So does it mean i can apply for my daughter the ILE as she is applying with her mother (who is applying spouse visa).

Please advise...Thanks
I have removed the barrister website link.

If you note the piece you posted that I have highlighted above, it clearly states the child will get a visa in line with the parent applying for a spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:01 am

Obie wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 pm
What is this ILR card that you are talking about that is valid for 5 years. I have never heard of it.
BRP cards issued to minors are only valid for 5 years (Regulation 13(4)(c) of The Immigration (Biometric Registration) Regulations 2008).
CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:33 pm
Immigration rules part 8, pont 297(i)(a)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members

Where the mother applies for a spouse visa, the child applies as well and will get a visa valid for the same period as the mother.
CR001, I think the more relevant Immigration Rule in this case is 301(i)(a).
Immigration Rules part 8: family members wrote:301. The requirements to be met by a person seeking limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the child of a parent or parents given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement are that he:
(i) is seeking leave to enter to accompany or join or remain with a parent or parents in one of the following circumstances:
(a) one parent is present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement and the other parent is being or has been given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement; or
To the OP, the relevant section of the Rules changes nothing. Your child will have to start on the immigration pathway from scratch and your wife and the child will need to stay in the UK for the next five years in order to qualify for ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 am

Unfortunately, 301 is subject to the transitional provisions, A280(f). I think the applicable rules would be under Family life as a child of a person with limited leave as a partner or parent. Don’t forget the extra Financial requirement for child.

When the child is eligible for ILR, I believe the applicable rules would be under A277, A280( b ), 299.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 am
Unfortunately, 301 isn’t covered under the transitional provisions, A280. I think the applicable rules would be under Family life as a child of a person with limited leave as a partner or parent. Don’t forget the extra Financial requirement for child.

When the child is eligible for ILR, I believe the applicable rules would be under A277, A280( b ), 299.
Thanks guys for the clarity...So i was just wondering how did she get the ILR card back then in Dec 2012 while i applied for ILR too....IF it is the case that child will get the visa as with less privileged parent...In that case my wife was less privileged....But she got the ILR

Can someone please clarify...Thanks

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Obie wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 pm
Its a ILR which she got while i was applying for ILR. She came from Pakistan as Tier 1 Child dependent valid till end of my visa...So once i applied for ILR then she did so as dependent child...So we both got it...and mother got the extension of visa...

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 pm
Babajee85 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm
Hi guys,

CHILD VISAS

Please advise...Thanks
I have removed the barrister website link.

If you note the piece you posted that I have highlighted above, it clearly states the child will get a visa in line with the parent applying for a spouse visa.
I got confused by this :

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:20 am

One parent is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain
Presumably you.
and the other parent is applying to come to the UK.
Presumably your wife.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.