ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance Visa Questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bournemouth85
Newly Registered

Fiancé visa ( family of a settled person? )

Post by Bournemouth85 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I’d like some guidance if possible.

My Moroccan girlfriend and i have been together for almost 18 months, although we live 1500 miles apart we see each other every 6-8 weeks either in Morocco or Europe. We love each other dearly and has now got to the point that we want to properly be with each other and spend the rest of our lives together.

We are meeting in Vienna at Xmas and want to go down the fiancé visa route, I’m going to do it properly and get her a ring and get on one knee as well!! I’ve done a lot of research and as far as I can see there should be no reason why her application won’t be successful.

- I earn well above the minimum salary of £18,600 pa.
- I own my own house
- neither of us have any criminal convictions
- she has never applied for any kind of uk visa and has never been turned down for any other visa. When she applies she will still have 2 months left to run on her one year European visa.
- we are both over 18 years of age

A few questions If I may...

I understand the initial fee is a little over £1500 - I’m assuming this isn’t refundable if the application is rejected?

Does the 6 months start from when the visa is issued or when she lands at immigration in the uk?

Does she need to have flights booked prior to submitting the app? I’m assuming not but thought it’s worth asking.

Should we have wedding preparations set up? Because she’s a Muslim it will only be a register office with another wedding in Morocco the following year.

Does she have to have a minimum amount of savings when she applies/ enters the uk? I earn enough to support her for the first 6 months,

We have hundreds of photos and WhatsApp messages. How many should she realistically send in her application? I’m guessing just a few from each visit?

I understand she is unable to work for the first 6 months - are there any loopholes to this or is it a case that black really is black? She has a masters degree in translation and would have no problems getting a job but Im not prepared to jeopardise her visa. Can she work as soon as we are married or is it 6 months regardless .

Once the 6 months is up, and assuming we have abided by all the stipulations, is there then any reason why she wouldn’t get a spouse visa for the next step?

I can’t think of any more questions right now, but if any one can and assist or add to any of my points I’d be most grateful.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Fiancé visa ( family of a settled person? )

Post by zimba » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Before focusing on the financial requirement under FLR(M) route, you need to know that for an unmarried partner, the requirement is that you should have been living in a 'relationship akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years (i.e. cohabitation). You can avoid that by getting married first. However even if you get married, you need to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine and subsisting. You then must provide at least 6 months of payslip from application date and she needs English language test certificate, 10 year criminal record, etc. So the first step will be marriage in your case
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I understand the initial fee is a little over £1500 - I’m assuming this isn’t refundable if the application is rejected?
No, it is not refunded if the visa application is refused.
Does the 6 months start from when the visa is issued or when she lands at immigration in the uk?
Visa issue date.
Does she need to have flights booked prior to submitting the app? I’m assuming not but thought it’s worth asking.
No.
Should we have wedding preparations set up? Because she’s a Muslim it will only be a register office with another wedding in Morocco the following year.
Ideally yes, you need to show evidence of marriage preparation for a fiance visa. Easier to get married first and then apply directly for a spouse visa in my opinion which costs the same as a fiance visa but you also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge for the spouse visa, currently £600 and likely to double in December.
Does she have to have a minimum amount of savings when she applies/ enters the uk? I earn enough to support her for the first 6 months,
No. Only your income is considered for the initial visa, fiance or spouse if you marry first and then apply.
We have hundreds of photos and WhatsApp messages. How many should she realistically send in her application? I’m guessing just a few from each visit?
A selection covering the duration of your relationship.
I understand she is unable to work for the first 6 months - are there any loopholes to this or is it a case that black really is black? She has a masters degree in translation and would have no problems getting a job but Im not prepared to jeopardise her visa. Can she work as soon as we are married or is it 6 months regardless .
It is that black unfortunately. If you choose to go the fiance visa route and marry once she is in the UK, she cannot work at all or use free NHS services. She will only be allowed to work once her spouse visa application after marriage is approved and issued.
Once the 6 months is up, and assuming we have abided by all the stipulations, is there then any reason why she wouldn’t get a spouse visa for the next step?

No there isn't provided she meets all the same requirements again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

beginner
Newly Registered

Post by beginner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Based on my experience:

Correct. FWIW it sounds like you meet the criteria though.

When visa starts. That'll be a few days before you hear the result.

No.

Yes. It's helpful to include the registry office booking in the application.

If you earn £18,600+ then you both meet the financial requirement

Especially useful are photos that show you together in different places at different times, and with family and friends. I was advised to provide about 20 photos. Provide a fairly large sample of messages that show you're in constant communication. If you speak on the phone regularly via FaceTime, WhatsApp or Skype, try to export your call history.

I'm not certain about this, but I think you can swap to the 30 month spouse visa (FLR(M)) as soon as you are married. This gives her the right to work. She shouldn't work at all until she gets this visa.

No, the requirements for the next visa are similar. You basically just need to add your wedding certificate and wedding photos to the application, update your financial docs, and prove you are living together. Unless your circumstances change you're unlikely to be granted a finance visa if you wouldn't be granted a spouse visa

beginner
Newly Registered

Post by beginner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Zimba wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:40 pm
Before focusing on the financial requirement under FLR(M) route, you need to know that for an unmarried partner, the requirement is that you should have been living in a 'relationship akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years (i.e. cohabitation). You can avoid that by getting married first. However even if you get married, you need to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine and subsisting. You then must provide at least 6 months of payslip from application date and she needs English language test certificate, 10 year criminal record, etc. So the first step will be marriage in your case
FWIW the OP is asking about the six month fiancé visa, which is the visa you get in order to get married in the UK and then start the FLR(M) process. It has the same financial requirements as FLR(M).

You can get the fiancé visa without having previously lived together (although you need to provide quite a lot of evidence that you're in a genuine and serious long-distance relationship). You can start the five year FLR(M) route straight after the fiancé visa, as long as you get married.

Bournemouth85
Newly Registered

Post by Bournemouth85 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

To clarify, I understood it was a spouse visa whereby you needed to prove you had been cohabiting for at least two years? I thought there were no restrictions on the fiancé visa regarding living together....

Surely if we marry first then we wouldn’t qualify for a spouse visa as we haven’t lived together?

Thanks again

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Bournemouth85 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:45 pm
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

To clarify, I understood it was a spouse visa whereby you needed to prove you had been cohabiting for at least two years? I thought there were no restrictions on the fiancé visa regarding living together....

Surely if we marry first then we wouldn’t qualify for a spouse visa as we haven’t lived together?

Thanks again
The 2 year co-habitation requirement is only relevant to an unmarried partner application, not for a fiance or spouse visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bournemouth85
Newly Registered

Post by Bournemouth85 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Thank you Casa.

She gets her yearly bonus in April and will leave her job after that so we will spend the next few months prepping everything In readiness for the application. Really excited but us nervous as well!

Am i right in thinking she needs a TB certificate as well?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Bournemouth85 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm
Thank you Casa.

She gets her yearly bonus in April and will leave her job after that so we will spend the next few months prepping everything In readiness for the application. Really excited but us nervous as well!

Am i right in thinking she needs a TB certificate as well? Correct
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bournemouth85
Newly Registered

Post by Bournemouth85 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 am

Sorry two more questions if I may.

is there any where where I can print off the application form? I understand it is electronic only but would like to go through it first without setting up an account.

Lastly, when filling out the online application , can it be done over a period of time? I would like to do it with my gf when we meet next month but it won’t be submitted until early April next year, we will meet again prior to April but I’m just excited and impatient 😂

Thanks!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:00 am

Bournemouth85 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 am
Sorry two more questions if I may.

is there any where where I can print off the application form? I understand it is electronic only but would like to go through it first without setting up an account. At the end of the online form, you are instructed toprint off the application and Appendix 2 and include them with your other documents.

Lastly, when filling out the online application , can it be done over a period of time? I would like to do it with my gf when we meet next month but it won’t be submitted until early April next year, we will meet again prior to April but I’m just excited and impatient 😂 Yes.

Thanks!
(Casa, not CR001)

Bournemouth85
Newly Registered

Post by Bournemouth85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Ok, so I’ve begun gathering information and have begun organising it all in a folder clearly labelled under the various sections.

I have approximately 80 photos of us together during our 8 trips ( soon to become 8 ) and have date stamped most of them. Is this enough?

I have also included my financial docs such as payslips and bank statements - these will be updated as necessary given they need to be within one month of the application. Is 6 months worth sufficient of is 12 recommended?

I have also done a cover letter and will get the same from both my partner and my parents.

I have the title deed for my house and a council tax statement along with various correspondence between us such as WhatsApp calls and messages - Given I have over 10,000 messages, is a few screenshots each month sufficient?

She will also be getting her TB cert and English language cert and send it over to me.

There will be other stuff as well such as passport photocopies and passport sized photos etc

My main query is ; I understand the online application form is filled out and then signed by the applicant and the supporting documents need to be in Sheffield within 10 days of the online app. Given she is in Morocco, I am a little dubious as to how these timescales can be met as previously mail/gifts have taken up to 2 weeks to arrive. I’m assuming the application form MUST be submitted with the supporting docs or is this just recommended?

If we fill out the online application together when we next meet in 3 weeks time, can we defer submitting it until say 1st feb? I know casa has already said this is possible, I just want to double check.

Thanks

Bournemouth85
Newly Registered

Fiance Visa Questions

Post by Bournemouth85 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi All,

I am in the process of gathering together required information for my Moroccan Fiance to be granted a Fiance Visa. i have a few questions i would like advice on if i may.

- I have gathered most of the required financial documentation and proof of relationship etc. Is 6 months payslips and bank statements sufficient or is 12 months worth suggested? In regards to proof of relationship, i have over 10,000 WhatsApp messages from each other, is a screen shot of a few days worth of conversation a month sufficient? i will also include WhatsApp calls to each other and Facebook Messenger etc. i have also included flight itinerary's hotel bookings for our 9 trip away together over the last 15 months along with approximately 80 date stamped ( for the most part ) photos of us together. too much or not enough?

We will be filling out the online application over Xmas, when we meet next in Vienna but don't want to submit it until early Feb as Fiance has a large bonus due in April from her current employer. will this be ok? Is it just a call of not actually clicking the submit button or can you post date the APP?

in regards to actually submitting the documents to Sheffield, is it best if i send all my info to her in Morocco, for her to add her bits to and for her to send it to Sheffield? It would be far easier, safer and quicker if she sent me her bits such as TB Cert and English Language cert etc with the printed online app and for me to send to Sheffield from the UK but I've heard it can be refused as they sometimes assume the applicant is sending from the UK?

if We go down the route of me sending my info to Morocco, am i right in thinking the info has to be in Sheffield within 10 days of the Biometrics appt? If so, can it be sent before the Biometrics appt to avoid any postal delays?

Lastly, in terms of the wedding, it will be a very small do, as we will need to save up for a much larger wedding in Morocco the following year. How seriously do the HO take wedding plans? I have an engagement ring and will liaise with the registry office and invite very close friends and family but that will be about it. Will i be Ok with this or do i need to show more preparation and or commitment?

so sorry for all the questions!