ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS for extension. Is it worth doing B1 in my situation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Driver27
Sri Lanka

IELTS for extension. Is it worth doing B1 in my situation

Post by Driver27 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:51 pm

I am now a British Citizen (Since Jan 2018)
My wife came to the UK in Feb 2016 under a dependent visa, I was on a tier 2 work visa at the time.
I switched to ILR in April 2016 (10 year route), and so had to reapply for a spouse visa for my wife. This visa was granted from August 2016 to March 2019.

I am now in the planning stages of extending her visa and I understand there is now a requirement to do the A2 IELTS exam. My question is

1. Would it be worth doing the B1 exam instead, with the hope of using the same exam certificate when applying for her ILR at the end of 5 year period.

2. Would her 5 year period start from the date she entered uk, or August 2016, the date of reapplying for spouse visa.

3. Does the IELTS exam cost £350.00?

Thank you for your help.

Lallen

Re: IELTS for extension. Is it worth doing B1 in my situation

Post by Lallen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Driver27 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:51 pm
2. Would her 5 year period start from the date she entered uk, or August 2016, the date of reapplying for spouse visa.

3. Does the IELTS exam cost £350.00?

Thank you for your help.
Talking from experience and knowledge;

2. It would start from her first entry day on the Spouse Visa, not the month and year as you stated above.

3. The IELTS Life Skills A2 test costs £150, as we booked last week.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have just booked it today and you are right, it was £150.
Do you know if the IHS is paid at the time of submitting the application online. From what I remember from before it was the case where you had to pay the IHS and get a reference before submitting the visa application

Lallen

Post by Lallen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 pm

No problem, yes you pay for the IHS before completing the online application. It's different when applying within the UK, much more simplified. Did you ensure that when booking the test it was from the approved test centers, refer to Appendix O to cross-check.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks again for the reply. Wife did the test this Sunday gone and we have already received the certificate. I thought that was quite fast.
When showing earnings, are you giving pay slips to cover the last six months, or would a letter from the employer be sufficient?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Driver27 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:18 pm
Thanks again for the reply. Wife did the test this Sunday gone and we have already received the certificate. I thought that was quite fast.
When showing earnings, are you giving pay slips to cover the last six months, or would a letter from the employer be sufficient?
It is a mandatory requirement to submit a minimum of 6 months payslips, the corresponding 6 months bank statements AND the employer letter. Failing to submit any of the three will result in a refusal.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks CR001. I have just got to that part of the application soon after I made my post. I have almost all but 1 or 2 of my pay slips from the last year. Does it matter which 6 months of the last year I show.

Furthermore, my pay has changed slightly (increased) twice in the last 12 months. It has always been above the required amount.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:44 pm

I have almost all but 1 or 2 of my pay slips from the last year. Does it matter which 6 months of the last year I show.
If you have been with the same employer, you MUST use the most RECENT 6 consecutive payslips.
Furthermore, my pay has changed slightly (increased) twice in the last 12 months. It has always been above the required amount.
Not an issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Re: 6 items of Correspondence
I've searched the forum for this but couldn't find an answer to it.

I have lived at 3 different addresses over the last 2 years. Do I need to show 6 different pieces of evidence for each address or is that in total?
Thank you again

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Driver27 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm

I have lived at 3 different addresses over the last 2 years. Do I need to show 6 different pieces of evidence for each address or is that in total?
Thank you again
NO. the 6 pieces of documents need to cover the last 2 years regardless of how many places you kept on living as long as the relevant evidences kept on updating with all previous addresses in timely.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:48 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:07 pm
Driver27 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Thank you again
NO. the 6 pieces of documents need to cover the last 2 years regardless of how many places you kept on living as long as the relevant evidences kept on updating with all previous addresses in timely.
OK Thanks

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the documents supplied need not be originals and can be those printed online.

I've lost one of the pay slips (from October) and my employer has provided a copy that is on A4 paper so it doesn't look like the other pay slips.

I also haven't received my bank statements for February yet, so would it be ok to supply printed pdf's of bank statements?

Finally, after submitting the application online, how long do I have before I post the documents in support of the application.

Thank you very much in advance.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Driver27 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Am I correct in thinking that the documents supplied need not be originals and can be those printed online.

I've lost one of the pay slips (from October) and my employer has provided a copy that is on A4 paper so it doesn't look like the other pay slips.

I also haven't received my bank statements for February yet, so would it be ok to supply printed pdf's of bank statements?

Finally, after submitting the application online, how long do I have before I post the documents in support of the application.

Thank you very much in advance.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ukvis-new-f ... ed-to-know
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Translation of documents - Marriage Certificate

Post by Driver27 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi

I have an English translation of my marriage certificate that I obtained in Sri Lanka.
Would I need to get a translation again in UK?

When I applied for the spouse visa last time I submitted the translation I have and it didn't cause any problems, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thank You

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Translation of documents - Marriage Certificate

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Driver27 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm
Hi

I have an English translation of my marriage certificate that I obtained in Sri Lanka.
Would I need to get a translation again in UK?

When I applied for the spouse visa last time I submitted the translation I have and it didn't cause any problems, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thank You
Same will be accepted again. no issue.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Re: Translation of documents - Marriage Certificate

Post by Driver27 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Same will be accepted again. no issue.
Ok, Thank You

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Last couple of questions (hopefully).

1. On the documents checklist it says "Payslips covering any period of salaried employment (current and previous) in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application". I thought I only need to show pay slips for the last 6 months and not 12 months. Am I correct in thinking that only 6 months' payslips are required.

2. I will be uploading my documents to UKVCAS today. My appointment at Croydon is on MOnday. Do I need to upload scans of applicants passport and BRP as well as take them with me to my appointment. I presume I don't need to post this anywhere.

Thanks Very much for the help.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Driver27 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

1. On the documents checklist it says "Payslips covering any period of salaried employment (current and previous) in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application". I thought I only need to show pay slips for the last 6 months and not 12 months. Am I correct in thinking that only 6 months' payslips are required.

2. I will be uploading my documents to UKVCAS today. My appointment at Croydon is on MOnday. Do I need to upload scans of applicants passport and BRP as well as take them with me to my appointment. I presume I don't need to post this anywhere.

1. 6 months if you are replying on category A

2. Yes just upload it

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm
Driver27 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

1. 6 months if you are replying on category A

2. Yes just upload it
Thanks very much again.

Driver27
Sri Lanka

Post by Driver27 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi

I received the new BRP last week and for the sake of anyone that might come across this thread later, The BRP did take 10 working days from the date of the letter that is sent out informing that application has been successful.

Am I correct in thinking that the old BRP doesn't need to be returned as this was an extension to a family (dependent) visa. Is the returning BRP thing only for ILR BRP's?

Thank You