ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New spouse visa application process confusion: self upload or scanning service?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

matt_murdoch
Newly Registered

New spouse visa application process confusion: self upload or scanning service?

Post by matt_murdoch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi

So I have seen this matter discussed quite a few times here, and even the solicitor we are using has mentioned confusion around this, so hope someone can clarify as I am getting a lot of mixed messages.

Context: I am a British national with a Pakistani wife. My wife is back in Pakistan after a spouse visa extension refusal, and we are re-applying for Entry Clearance spouse visa. It is fair to say that the manner of applying has become a lot more confusing now.

As i can tell, there are a number of ways people are talking about applying, so a little confused

1. Self Scanning and uploading: In terms of self scanning/uploading, this seems to be a nightmare, and not fit for purpose. Correct?

2. Using paid scanning service: Who needs to utilise this service. me or my wife i.e. where will these based? Here in the UK (where I have to submit the docs) or in Pakistan (where i will need to send the scans to my wife to print and have scanned)?

3. There seems to be an option to send documents to a London address (no longer Sheffield), however this seem unnecessary given the above two option.

Would appreciate some clarification

Jaune08
Mexico

Re: New spouse visa application process confusion: self upload or scanning service?

Post by Jaune08 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 pm

matt_murdoch wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm
1. Self Scanning and uploading: In terms of self scanning/uploading, this seems to be a nightmare, and not fit for purpose. Correct?
It's difficult to self scan/upload as the website crashes quite often, deletes the files, etc. I have applied recently and for this reason, I preferred to pay to get them scanned at the visa centre.

matt_murdoch wrote:
2. Using paid scanning service: Who needs to utilise this service. me or my wife i.e. where will these based? Here in the UK (where I have to submit the docs) or in Pakistan (where i will need to send the scans to my wife to print and have scanned)?

As far as I am aware, you can do it either in the UK or in Pakistan. You can upload them in the UK (by self scanning or paying for that) and afterward submit biometrics in Pakistan, or do everything in one go in Pakistan. It can be confusing. For this reason, my husband and I did the following to avoid any hassle and confusion to upload the documents: he posted all his documents to me, and once I got the complete application pack, I went to the VFS centre in my home country to submit the evidence and the biometrics. That worked well for us.

matt_murdoch wrote:
3. There seems to be an option to send documents to a London address (no longer Sheffield), however this seem unnecessary given the above two option.
I think you can't send them anymore. I'm not too sure to be honest, but I think that's why the system has been replaced with the online application.

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Re: New spouse visa application process confusion: self upload or scanning service?

Post by KristianDLloyd » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Jaune08 wrote:
matt_murdoch wrote:
I think you can't send them anymore. I'm not too sure to be honest, but I think that's why the system has been replaced with the online application.
If using VFS, you can send the supporting documents by post to VFS for them to upload. Previously, you could send direct to UKVI. This is no longer available.

The correct address for VFS is a Birmingham address. Are you using another provider?

Application Type: Settlement, Fiancé
Application Date: 26 June 2019
Decision Date: 29 August 2019
Decision: Granted

Application Type: FLR(M)
Application Date: 23 October 2019
Decision Date: 28 October 2019
Decision: Granted

matt_murdoch
Newly Registered

Post by matt_murdoch » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 am

Thank you all for the information.

I finally found the required information of the VFS site (which seems harder than it should be to find): https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/in/en/vacs/ ... -documents

In summary the four options it lays out are:

1. Self scan
2. Applicant takes documents for scan
3. Sponsor or representative takes documents for scan in a number of UK offices
4. Documents sent to Birmingham address for scan

All, except option 1, have varying fees.

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 am

matt_murdoch wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 am
I finally found the required information of the VFS site (which seems harder than it should be to find): https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/in/en/vacs/ ... -documents
Oh thank you. That's actually helpful for anyone who is applying soon. I couldn't find this exact page on the VFS' website of my home country.

matt_murdoch wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 am
1. Self scan
2. Applicant takes documents for scan
3. Sponsor or representative takes documents for scan in a number of UK offices
4. Documents sent to Birmingham address for scan

All, except option 1, have varying fees.
I chose no.2 when I applied, and I've paid 73 USD for "User Pay Service Fee" plus 40 USD for scanning assistance.