ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married UK EXPAT who wants to take me home.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PondHopperAlpha
Newly Registered
Canada

Married UK EXPAT who wants to take me home.

Post by PondHopperAlpha » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 am

My spouse is a dual UK/Canada citizen and and I am Canadian Citizen. He is in his late 20s and moved to Canada as a teen. Home is calling to him and we want to move but we aren't sure what the best way would be for us to set things up so that he can sponsor me.

Has anyone been in or heard of a situation similar to this. The plan right now is to start saving and that is as far as we have gotten.

Thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Married UK EXPAT who wants to take me home.

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:58 am

Read about it in full detail at below:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 am

Is he working? Does he have a job offer in the UK? How much does he earn, both in his current job and in his prospective job in the UK?

The are very strict salary requirements for sponsoring non-EEA spouses to the UK, such as earning at least £18,600 per annum, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

PondHopperAlpha
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by PondHopperAlpha » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:10 am

He doesn't have a job in the UK but earns 30,784 CDN approx 18,982.80 GBP.

IN my current job I make 54,000 CDN a year 33,500 GBP so my earning power isn't in question and I'm a Social Worker with an MSW so I'm in high demand

We are both aware of the financial responsibility. Our question is when does he become eligible to sponsor me if he hasn't paid taxes in England in his life.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 am

Your income is irrelevant for an initial spouse visa.

He needs a minimum of 6 months payslips and bank statements earning the required annual salary equivalent.

He can use his Canadian income if it meets the requirement based on the exchange rate HO uses AND he has a confirmed job at the required level to start in the UK within 3 months of arriving (and HO will verify this potential job).

How old are you?

Do you have any UK born grandparents?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:59 am

Depending on your age and other circumstances, if you aren't entirely sure you want to settle in the UK permanently and want to give it a trial run for a couple years, the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa is cheaper, faster and easier to apply for than a spouse visa. With this you can also switch to a spouse visa later provided you meet all of the eligibility requirements. More info below:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility

PondHopperAlpha
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by PondHopperAlpha » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 am
Your income is irrelevant for an initial spouse visa.

He needs a minimum of 6 months payslips and bank statements earning the required annual salary equivalent.

He can use his Canadian income if it meets the requirement based on the exchange rate HO uses AND he has a confirmed job at the required level to start in the UK within 3 months of arriving (and HO will verify this potential job).

How old are you?

Do you have any UK born grandparents?
Nah, my UK family were among some of the first Canadian settlers. We've been here for 200+ years lol. I'll be at least 40 y/o before we had the savings to leave. I am well passed Youth Visa. This doesn't sound impossible it just sounds strict, as was stated in a previous message:) So spousal visa or I get recruited as a social worker. I've applied for Social Work jobs before in UK so now that I'm I have another degree that certainly increases my chances of landing a job with a company that is poaching Canadians:)