ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Letter from employer question- uk spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

couchsurfer
Newly Registered

UK Spouse Visa initial advice

Post by couchsurfer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 pm

I am hoping to get a bit of advice in relation applying for a UK spouse Visa, hope that's ok.

We are planning to apply soon, I am a British Citizen and she is from Brazil. We have been married since September 2018, have been together since Jan 2016 (4 months together in UK, two visits up until May 2017 before I moved to Brazil), and lived together from May 2017 to August 2019 in Brazil. Right now I am working in the UK on a temporary basis, but hopefully I will get a permanent job this month or the next. She is finishing off a job in Brazil, and I will be visiting her in November.

The thing that’s worrying us the most is; proof of living together for 2 years. This is the case in the dates mentioned above but we lived in a friend’s apartment in Brazil so don’t have many official documents with both our names on with the address. We can ask her friend (owner of apartment) to write a letter stating that me and her both lived there for the 2 years. Is that likely to suffice? We do have a few bank statements and a joint account with our names and the address on, but that's it, plus a few internet bills.

Just one last thing, she is planning to come here early next year (Jan/Feb) and by that time I would have a rented property (further living together evidence before we apply I guess?). My question is how does that work with her entering the country, a tourist visa is 6 months I think, she would be booking a one way flight. Would that cause problems with immigration? Would she need to be coy about what she’s doing or just be honest? She might end up staying in Brazil during the process, with a few visits, but would obviously prefer here to come here beforehand.

I hope this isn't too long, and would really appreciate a few tips from people who have been through similar situations. Thank you

CarlH88
Newly Registered

Re: UK Spouse Visa initial advice

Post by CarlH88 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:38 pm

I think the most important part is that if you're married, there is no time limit how on long you relationship must have been nor how long you've lived together.

What I did was take the tenancy in my name and have my wife as a permitted occupant. Then on her arrival, she presented her BRP at the letting agent.

If you have the spouse visa process ongoing, she must stay in her country, Brazil.

Hope that helps a little.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 pm
I am hoping to get a bit of advice in relation applying for a UK spouse Visa, hope that's ok.

The thing that’s worrying us the most is; proof of living together for 2 years. This is the case in the dates mentioned above but we lived in a friend’s apartment in Brazil so don’t have many official documents with both our names on with the address. We can ask her friend (owner of apartment) to write a letter stating that me and her both lived there for the 2 years. Is that likely to suffice? We do have a few bank statements and a joint account with our names and the address on, but that's it, plus a few internet bills.

For initial spouse visa application there is no requirement of 2 years of cohabitation evidences.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Be honest in all visa applications.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:22 am

No coyness and check very well if she will be allowed in at the border on a visitor/tourist visa with just one way ticket.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered

Post by couchsurfer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:43 am

CarlH88 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:38 pm
I think the most important part is that if you're married, there is no time limit how on long you relationship must have been nor how long you've lived together.

What I did was take the tenancy in my name and have my wife as a permitted occupant. Then on her arrival, she presented her BRP at the letting agent.

If you have the spouse visa process ongoing, she must stay in her country, Brazil.

Hope that helps a little.
Ah right, thanks for that. Having only just started to look at the process we both got it into our heads we needed to prove the living aspect as well. Re the marriage, our certificate is in Portuguese, done at a registry office over there. I assume its a case of translating that using an official source here in the UK?

So as far as I can understand, she can't come here beforehand? Just for a short visits under a tourist visa. If she were to get a student visa or family visa- could those be converted into the spouse visa?

couchsurfer
Newly Registered

Post by couchsurfer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:22 am
No coyness and check very well if she will be allowed in at the border on a visitor/tourist visa with just one way ticket.

Yeah its not worth the risk, could easy mess up the main application. I think a few visits with return flights for both us is the way to go.

Thanks all for the tips!

couchsurfer
Newly Registered

Letter from employer question- uk spouse visa

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 am

Hi all,

Firstly can a temporary job be accepted as salary during the 6 month wait period? With the bulk of the payslips coming from a permanent job?

I also have a few questions about the employer letter confirming where I work, the pay, hours etc.

I have been doing a temporary job within a University since Sept 2nd and will finish on Friday 9th nov. My September payslip was a lower amount due to the way the pay deadline worked when I started, meaning my October and November pay will be more despite only working 6 weeks across these 2 months. I can’t really use the September payslip as it amounts to about £300. However the payslip in October is just over £1500 and in November it will be a similar amount, probably a little more. I will also have a November payslip from a permanent position which I will start next week. We have more than enough savings to make up the shortfall, as my salary is £18,000.

My question is how should all this be conveyed in the letter from my employer? More specifically relating to what I earn before tax, hourly rate, hours worked etc (for the temp job). I have been full time since I started, doing 36.25 hours a week, however I missed the odd day so the hours worked slightly vary on each payslip, and differ massively in September because of the payroll deadline. Would a letter stating the specific hours I worked each month be ok? Referencing the hourly rate and what I was paid ensuring it matches with the gross amount on the pay slips? Not including September given the lower pay.

I will be starting a permanent position in a different department with the same employer on Monday so I assume I would need another letter relating to this or could the information all be put in one letter explaining exactly when I became permanent and the different salary

Many Thanks for any help, would be appreciated.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Letter from employer question- uk spouse visa

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:26 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 am
Hi all,

Firstly can a temporary job be accepted as salary during the 6 month wait period? With the bulk of the payslips coming from a permanent job?

I also have a few questions about the employer letter confirming where I work, the pay, hours etc.

I have been doing a temporary job within a University since Sept 2nd and will finish on Friday 9th nov. My September payslip was a lower amount due to the way the pay deadline worked when I started, meaning my October and November pay will be more despite only working 6 weeks across these 2 months. I can’t really use the September payslip as it amounts to about £300. However the payslip in October is just over £1500 and in November it will be a similar amount, probably a little more. I will also have a November payslip from a permanent position which I will start next week. We have more than enough savings to make up the shortfall, as my salary is £18,000.

My question is how should all this be conveyed in the letter from my employer? More specifically relating to what I earn before tax, hourly rate, hours worked etc (for the temp job). I have been full time since I started, doing 36.25 hours a week, however I missed the odd day so the hours worked slightly vary on each payslip, and differ massively in September because of the payroll deadline. Would a letter stating the specific hours I worked each month be ok? Referencing the hourly rate and what I was paid ensuring it matches with the gross amount on the pay slips? Not including September given the lower pay.

I will be starting a permanent position in a different department with the same employer on Monday so I assume I would need another letter relating to this or could the information all be put in one letter explaining exactly when I became permanent and the different salary

Many Thanks for any help, would be appreciated.
Have you earned at least £18600 during the last 12 months from the aggregation of all types of jobs?
What will be the wages for the role you are going to start?
How much 6 months old savings do you have?
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:33 pm

No I haven't, I have been back in the country since August. Before then I was earning relatively small amounts in Brazil. I understood that you need 6 months of pay slips earning £18,600 if not, then savings to make up the shortfall?

My new role will be £18,000, which is about the same as what my current temporary role has been paying since September, same company but different department. We have £30,000 worth of savings, more or less half and half in BRL and GBP, which will grow by the time the 6 month period is up.

Thanks for the reply

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:49 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:33 pm
No I haven't, I have been back in the country since August. Before then I was earning relatively small amounts in Brazil. I understood that you need 6 months of pay slips earning £18,600 if not, then savings to make up the shortfall?

My new role will be £18,000, which is about the same as what my current temporary role has been paying since September, same company but different department. We have £30,000 worth of savings, more or less half and half in BRL and GBP, which will grow by the time the 6 month period is up.

Thanks for the reply
You looks like neither be fitted in category A nor in category B. Also your saving is too short which should be at least £62500 and 6 months old.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:33 pm
You can combine savings above £16,000 with income to meet the requirement. With £30,000 of cash savings held for at least 6 months, you would only need to prove a salary of £13,000 per year. Keep in mind only the amount of savings held for at least 6 months can be used, any growth in the amount during the 6 month period would not be considered. I understand you are working with the same employer but wish to use 2 different jobs with them in the 6 months prior to applying. The wording in the guidance and rules is such that this would seem acceptable as they are with the same employer, but it is not clear that this would be the case is the implication of the wording is that the employment has not changed. Definitely consider other interpretations of that as I could very well be wrong, but you may be better off waiting a few extra months until you've been in the permanent position for 6 months.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 am

Yeah that's what we were thinking, just wait a month so the payslips are the same amounts and its the same job, probably less risky.

Thanks for the advice.