ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IHS when already paying tax

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Darbzi
Newly Registered

IHS when already paying tax

Post by Darbzi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:35 am

Hi all - we have just been granted my husband's spouse visa extension. We had to pay the IHS again but what I don't understand is why we had to when he has been working and paying tax and N.I. in the UK for the past 2years and 10 months when he first arrived. Can anyone explain please? thanks!

geoeng
Canada

Re: IHS when already paying tax

Post by geoeng » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:43 am

While this frustrates me as well, it's just the way it is and there's nothing that can be done about it. The cost is negligible if you end up needing NHS services for a major illness/injury. If it really bothers you, take advantage the free/cheap care and get any issues checked out and fixed (dental issues especially). Realistically, the IHS is a cost that is likely to go up in the future as it's an easy way to raise a few extra pounds for the NHS and ensure immigrants who have not been paying taxes in the UK their entire lives pay their fair share of the costs. It comes off as punishing those who immigrate when young or work their whole lives, but the same could be said for all social services. In my opinion, the relatively small charge is worth every penny.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:55 am

geoeng wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:43 am
While this frustrates me as well, it's just the way it is and there's nothing that can be done about it. The cost is negligible if you end up needing NHS services for a major illness/injury. If it really bothers you, take advantage the free/cheap care and get any issues checked out and fixed (dental issues especially). Realistically, the IHS is a cost that is likely to go up in the future as it's an easy way to raise a few extra pounds for the NHS and ensure immigrants who have not been paying taxes in the UK their entire lives pay their fair share of the costs. It comes off as punishing those who immigrate when young or work their whole lives, but the same could be said for all social services. In my opinion, the relatively small charge is worth every penny.
Medical emergencies are unpalatable and draining. The IHS is a welcome development albeit like the case of OP, if the spouse did not use the NHS services after the initial payment, at least let them be able to carry it forward instead of coughing up another £1,000 for the extension.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Darbzi wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:35 am
I don't understand is why we had to when he has been working and paying tax and N.I. in the UK for the past 2years and 10 months when he first arrived.
National Insurance contributions deducted from earnings, go towards certain benefits and the State Pension. Don't confuse National Insurance with the NHS. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.