ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing Chinese wife to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Bringing Chinese wife to UK

Post by samuelchai » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi All,

My situation is as follows:

I am a British man and I married my Chinese wife in the UK in July 2017.
August 2017-August 2018: we lived together in Hong Kong.
August 2018- present: I came back to UK for studies while my wife continued to work in Hong Kong.
My wife currently has a visitor visa that runs out in April 2020.
After I finish my studies in June this year (2020) I want to bring my wife here to the UK and live here together permanently.
I am likely to get a job with a salary between £25-£30k.

Which visa should she apply for? One of the requirements for the family visa are that we should have been living together for 2 years in a relationship before applying (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse), but we have only lived together for one year after being married.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :D

Samuel

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Bringing Chinese wife to UK

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi

Please check this out:

The 2 years are for non-married partners who need to prove they have been living together for 2 years in a relationship akin to marriage.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:12 pm

samuelchai wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm

I am likely to get a job with a salary between £25-£30k.
But you can only apply after at least 6 months.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks for reply.

Furthermore, my current plan is as follows:
My wife will first apply for a standard visitor visa in April 2020.
My wife's current contract ends in 2021, so we have proof that she can return to Hong Kong, although we intend for her to break that contract when she moves to the UK.
I will start work in July 2020, so by the end of December 2020 I should have 6 months' payslips.
My wife will join me here in August/September 2020.
In December my wife will apply for family visa.

My query is as follows:
When my wife applies for the standard visitor visa, it is a requirement that she proves that she will return to Hong Kong. However, what if she wants to stay in the UK on the visitor visa until she applies for a family visa without returning to Hong Kong? Will they accept this situation? In other words, how can we get her to stay here in the UK without having to return to Hong Kong?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 am

samuelchai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am
In other words, how can we get her to stay here in the UK without having to return to Hong Kong?
You can't, she must apply for the initial spouse visa from a country she is legally resident in. Unless she were resident in the UK on another visa type (not a visitor visa), she would have to return to Hong Kong to apply.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am

When my wife applies for the standard visitor visa, it is a requirement that she proves that she will return to Hong Kong.
Yes, she has to prove strong ties, ie family, social, work, finances etc
However, what if she wants to stay in the UK on the visitor visa until she applies for a family visa without returning to Hong Kong? Will they accept this situation? In other words, how can we get her to stay here in the UK without having to return to Hong Kong?
No, she cannot switch to any other visa category while in the UK as a visitor. She just apply for a spouse visa from her home country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

If we are to use savings in support of a visa application, does it have to be in my (the husband's) account, or can they also be in my wife's account?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:47 pm

samuelchai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm
If we are to use savings in support of a visa application, does it have to be in my (the husband's) account, or can they also be in my wife's account?
Can be either of you individually, savings in joint accounts or a combination. Only the amount of cash savings above £16,000 held for at least 6 months can be used towards the financial requirement. See Section 7 from page 48 of the guidance document linked below for additional details on cash savings.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks.

Furthermore, since my wife is currently working in Hong Kong, would her current salary count towards the application? Or must it be a UK job?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm

samuelchai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:11 pm
Furthermore, since my wife is currently working in Hong Kong, would her current salary count towards the application? Or must it be a UK job?
The employment or self-employment income of the applicant can only be included if they are in the UK working legally.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 pm

My wife currently holds a visitor visa that lasts until April this year. Could this be extended immediately so that she could come to the UK very soon without having to return to HK in April?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 pm

samuelchai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 pm
My wife currently holds a visitor visa that lasts until April this year. Could this be extended immediately so that she could come to the UK very soon without having to return to HK in April?
On what grounds would you want to extend her visitor visa from WITHIN the UK? This is usually done from applicants country of origin or legal residence.
Don't start making your future plans that is supposed to be easy complicated from now.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm

This would not be made from within the UK, but from Hong Kong. My wife is currently in Hong Kong (and she is a Mainland China citizen) while I am in the UK. I want to bring her here as soon as possible for 6 months without her having to go back to Hong Kong in April, when her current visa is due to expire.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:27 am

samuelchai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm
This would not be made from within the UK, but from Hong Kong. My wife is currently in Hong Kong (and she is a Mainland China citizen) while I am in the UK. I want to bring her here as soon as possible for 6 months without her having to go back to Hong Kong in April, when her current visa is due to expire.
She can apply for visits visa (new one) now. She can also try asking visa that starts next day from her current visa. Well, didn't work with me even with an invitation from company. What happened is my current visa was cancelled and a new visa was issued.

In your case, it can be risky as you live in UK and this - in the eyes of HO - looks most of the times as a stronger tie in UK than elsewhere. Especially since currently you can't qualify for spouse visa. Good news is that visit visa refusal will not cause further problems with spouse visa.

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by ibwe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm

samuelchai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm
While I think your spouse can apply for a visitor visa, it is better that you wait and apply for spouse visa. Just give yourself a time to collect the savings to meet the financial threshold. Otherwise you will have to look for a very good immigration lawyer (yet spending more of your savings) who might advise you of other 'waivers'.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am

Thanks for all your advice so far.

I am now considering getting a multiple entry visa so that we can take a trip to EU after arriving in UK.

Now, if my wife applies for 2-year multiple entry visa in April, will she still be allowed to apply for the spouse visa in January (while the 2-year visa is still valid)?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 am

samuelchai wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am
Now, if my wife applies for 2-year multiple entry visa in April, will she still be allowed to apply for the spouse visa in January (while the 2-year visa is still valid)?
Yes, previous visit visas whether still valid or not will not affect eligibility to apply for a spouse visa. Keep in mind that for each attempted entry into the UK, there is likely a chance your wife would be refused entry as it may be viewed as attempting to live in the UK without the correct visa to do so. Similarly, attempting to apply for a 2 year visit visa may also be seen as an attempt to circumvent the immigration rules as this is not what this visa is intended for - this is why the family visa category exists.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm

In order to apply for spouse visa, must my wife have proof of employment and residency from the country she's coming from? If so, what evidence would suffice?

Cheers!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 pm

samuelchai wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm
In order to apply for spouse visa, must my wife have proof of employment and residency from the country she's coming from? If so, what evidence would suffice?

Cheers!
No. Her employment and income is irrelevant to a spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi There

If I have £62,500 savings in my account starting from March until September 2020, will my wife then be able to apply for a spouse visa from Hong Kong (is it recommended to have more money than this)? Also, do they usually take the full 12 weeks to process, or can they sometimes be quicker?

Many thanks

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 am

samuelchai wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:50 pm
Hi There

If I have £62,500 savings in my account starting from March until September 2020, will my wife then be able to apply for a spouse visa from Hong Kong (is it recommended to have more money than this)?
That amount would be sufficient to meet the financial requirement and could be used provided all of the criteria in the table on page 52 of the guidance document linked below are met. Keep in mind that the intent of this category is that the funds must be yours and cannot be borrowed. You don't need to have more than is specified. If it's held in foreign currency, might be worth having more to account for fluctuations in currency conversion rates.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am

samuelchai wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:50 pm
Also, do they usually take the full 12 weeks to process, or can they sometimes be quicker?
Can be quicker sometimes, can also be longer sometimes. You may be able to pay an additional fee for priority processing, but this is not necessarily guaranteed. There's a timeline thread but how long it takes is dependent on many factors that vary between individuals.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am

Keep watching for updates.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

samuelchai
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by samuelchai » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 am

Hi,

My wife's current teaching contract in HK is until August 2021. Will she still be eligible to apply for a 2 year visa to the UK?

Thanks

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:37 am

samuelchai wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 am
My wife's current teaching contract in HK is until August 2021. Will she still be eligible to apply for a 2 year visa to the UK?
Are you referring to the 2 year visitor visa? Believe visitor visas have been discussed in this thread already. Meeting the eligibility requirements will not necessarily guarantee the visa will be granted based on the circumstances you have described nor does having a visa necessarily guarantee entry on each return trip to the UK.