ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Curious about financial requirements, Autistic British boyfriend

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ElegyForDreams
Newly Registered
United States of America

Curious about financial requirements, Autistic British boyfriend

Post by ElegyForDreams » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:13 am

So I am very curious about the financial requirements for my British boyfriend.
Y'see he's never earned a salary in his life, he is a high functioning autistic (I would've never known if he hadn't told me, except there's some humor he can just never tell when i'm joking or not) and I guess he's been deemed unfit to work by the U.K government forever, he's 26(i'm 31 i've worked since I was 18 sometimes i've held two job) and never had a job and has no confidence honestly to getting one because his autism makes him freak out in one on one situations with strangers so he can't do interviews period...
Now i'm trying to find a loop-hole of how to be with him in a couple years as from what I read marriage isn't enough, if he can never make that 18.6k salary a year, I did read that salary can be substituted with savings(but universal credit doesn't count towards that salary, from which he gets about 700 pounds a month, which would be what 8,400 a year, im told that's kind of high for the area where he lives, because of the autism I guess he gets more )

As for me I make a salary of about 32k dollars a year, but I work as generic clerical government job nothing special that I can get a work visa for (but hey plenty of paid time off), after taxes and everything else that comes out my checks, I can probably save about 10k a year without too much stress but that also depends on how much of it I spend to visit him, but i'd rather not have to wait 6 years to make it to 60k and meet that financial obligation, from what I read elsewhere, before the tories took over (whatever that means please excuse my american ignorance all I know is my working class friends in the UK seem to hate the tories ) my boyfriend was considered disabled by which I read the financial requirement for a spouse visa didn't apply.
Aside from me saving 60k are there other options? Can I marry him here in the U.S then slither my way into the UK, I do not plan to live off benefits, I don't mind working I like to feel helpful. Besides the 500-700 pounds a month people get off benefits or as it's called, universal credit? I think i'm a little too spoiled to not want to earn myself a little more.
I am definitely not trying to move in and mooch off the country. If anything i'm trying to lovingly encourage this man to be more and want more (and actually we can say he's part self-employed now, as he has been making a few hundred dollars on twitch.tv every month which will in the end probably equate to about $6,000 a year, but that's still no where NEAR 18,600, and i'm not sure how that's supposed to be affecting his universal credit because he hasn't reported the twitch income... ) , then to do nothing and be content because he's a sweet guy and that's priceless. :) I just like to know life's options and i'd strongly rather not be an illegal over stayer.
Honestly I guess I could ask my family to lend me some money that I could pay them back when I start working in the U.K to reach that 60k. His family is I guess 'working middle class' meaning they probably have like a thousand in the bank. My family is middle class they can throw money at fancy cars, jewelry, purses and that non-sense, I've never asked them for anything and i'd rather keep it that way but i'll consider it a last resort.
thank you to anyone who took the time to read this, it's been hard i'm a practical person and I like to know the future can be planned for. I like stability. he is very day by day ... we'll deal with it when we get there but I realize to an extent these things need to be planned for if they're ever going to happen plus planning and knowing my options makes me much less stressed.

vinny

Re: Curious about financial requirements, Autistic British boyfriend

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:45 am

Is he receiving any of these specific allowances?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:22 pm

In addition to Vinny's question posted earlier:
1. Have you met in person or only online ?

2. Failing to declare his twitch.tv income is benefit fraud. Although he may continue to be eligible for Universal Credit with part-time earnings, the claims department must be made aware of this and also declared to HMRC for tax purposes.

3. To qualify under the savings option, the £62,500 must be held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months and not be returnable (i.e a loan).
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ElegyForDreams
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ElegyForDreams » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Thank you for replying.
1. Yes, once last year for a week, i'd like to reiterate I plan to meet at least a couple more times over the next couple years and if the corona thing is cleared up next spring I plan to go up for 3 weeks, I get a month off a year from my government job, but we do spend hours every day together I am already aware of some of his flaws. ( I have been a gamer since I was like 6, so we spend time together playing games, watching movies, just fun laid back things. )

2. Liiiiike not reporting his twitch income (ahem procrastincation). He just started making income this year and hasn't been responsible about it he's never had much money so he's pretty much been spending it xD all so he may eventually owe a few hundred in taxes at this rate. I am aware he should be claiming it, he is aware too but I guess he's going to wait till he files next years taxes to worry about it.

3. The loan wouldn't be traceable if it was just a family member loaning it to me it's just be a check into my account, there's be no evidence it's a loan. Not trying to be sneaky just a thought.

4. I don't really understand the allowances, I just remember him mentioning before the Tories took over, he was considered and received disability, but now he isn't and when I tell other people in the UK how much he makes, they say he is getting alot of credit for where he lives, (he gets 7000 pounds and lives in Hull, which most cringe as ghettto and cheap to live but i've lived in Las Vegas, I think I know what ghetto is, UK ghetto VS U.S ghetto I feel like... it's different XD )

If anyone is curious why I don't want to bring him to the U.S instead (because I meet financial requirements for THAT no stress), it's mostly because rent in the UK seems cheaper, the only places I have friends and family in the U.S is Hawaii and Californa so i'm used to high rent and his no working mentality that (i'll give the benefit of the doubt that he really can't) I wouldn't make enough to afford, I live with my grandparents they have a very nice large house and charge me nothing to live there XD but I have no interest in moving a boyfriend in then explaining why he doesn't work and sits around playing games all days, my grandparents are good old hard working upper middle class boomers, not the cool kind, they are kind but kind of judgey. And honestly either state if you rent an apartment it's going to cost a ton I definitely dont want the stress of moving somewhere where neither of us knows anyone though.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:05 pm

ElegyForDreams wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm
Thank you for replying.
1. Yes, once last year for a week, i'd like to reiterate I plan to meet at least a couple more times over the next couple years and if the corona thing is cleared up next spring I plan to go up for 3 weeks, I get a month off a year from my government job, but we do spend hours every day together I am already aware of some of his flaws. ( I have been a gamer since I was like 6, so we spend time together playing games, watching movies, just fun laid back things. )

2. Liiiiike not reporting his twitch income (ahem procrastincation). He just started making income this year and hasn't been responsible about it he's never had much money so he's pretty much been spending it xD all so he may eventually owe a few hundred in taxes at this rate. I am aware he should be claiming it, he is aware too but I guess he's going to wait till he files next years taxes to worry about it.

3. The loan wouldn't be traceable if it was just a family member loaning it to me it's just be a check into my account, there's be no evidence it's a loan. Not trying to be sneaky just a thought. It can not be declared as a loan as third party assistance towards this is not allowed so think of what to declare it as.

4. I don't really understand the allowances, I just remember him mentioning before the Tories took over, he was considered and received disability, but now he isn't and when I tell other people in the UK how much he makes, they say he is getting alot of credit for where he lives, (he gets 7000 pounds and lives in Hull, which most cringe as ghettto and cheap to live but i've lived in Las Vegas, I think I know what ghetto is, UK ghetto VS U.S ghetto I feel like... it's different XD )

If anyone is curious why I don't want to bring him to the U.S instead (because I meet financial requirements for THAT no stress), it's mostly because rent in the UK seems cheaper, the only places I have friends and family in the U.S is Hawaii and Californa so i'm used to high rent and his no working mentality that (i'll give the benefit of the doubt that he really can't) I wouldn't make enough to afford, I live with my grandparents they have a very nice large house and charge me nothing to live there XD but I have no interest in moving a boyfriend in then explaining why he doesn't work and sits around playing games all days, my grandparents are good old hard working upper middle class boomers, not the cool kind, they are kind but kind of judgey. And honestly either state if you rent an apartment it's going to cost a ton I definitely dont want the stress of moving somewhere where neither of us knows anyone though.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 pm

ElegyForDreams wrote:
. I am aware he should be claiming it, he is aware too but I guess he's going to wait till he files next years taxes to worry about it. Unpaid tax isn't the main issue here. Your boyfriend is required to notify the Government dept (DWP) each month of any additional income. This then impacts on the monthly amount of Universal Credit he is entitled to receive. Any over-payment (due to undeclared income) will have to be re-paid in full, with the possibility of an investigation into benefit fraud. Although this may not be an immigration issue, if this income is declared to support a visa application this will raise a red flag with Government departments, who share such information.

3. The loan wouldn't be traceable if it was just a family member loaning it to me it's just be a check into my account, there's be no evidence it's a loan. Not trying to be sneaky just a thought.
When using savings to meet the finance level in a visa application, the applicant is required to show documented evidence of the source of the funds and that this is not a loan. Without this, the application will be refused.

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:57 pm

ElegyForDreams wrote:
Your loan would end his claim for Universal Credit when you arrive. Government departments share information and now his partner has over 16k in savings.

From the welfare point of view, you would be expected to both live off that 62.5k at a set rate as you declared to the UK that this was your money. Spending at a higher rate would not mean he could return to could have Universal Credit again as his claim would be based on his still having that money, even if he did not anymore.

The same if you return the loan, that's deprivation of capital to get benefits and he will treated as if he still had this money. The DWP will reduce that money at a set rate, until they deemed he would be below 16k. Then they reduce at a set rate for every £250 over under 16k but over 6k, but wity your earnings too, it is likey his Universal Credit will be £0.

As government departments sharte information, UVKI will have a different point of view when they found your a visa by pretending those savings were yours, when really it were a loan.
ElegyForDreams wrote:
4. I don't really understand the allowances, I just remember him mentioning before the Tories took over,
It was Labour that started the new welfare changes, got voted out and all the other governments have continued with their Welfare Reforms laws, changes which both the main parties supported.

What Labour did manage to do before they got voted out, was to bring in medicals for all those who claimed they could not work and wanted benefits. They gave this contract to a private firm called ATOS.
ElegyForDreams wrote:
he was considered and received disability,

He had his medical for Universal Credit and he declared that he was unable to work/has limited ability to work. He asked for the additonal element of Universal Creti, in additon the the £409.89 maximum "Standard Allowance"

but now he isn't and when I tell other people in the UK how much he makes, they say he is getting alot of credit for where he lives, (he gets 7000 pounds and lives in Hull, [/quote]

He doesn't "make" anything, he has stated that he in unit for work. Universal Credit is the new low income benefit started via the Welfare Reform laws and is based on elements.

UC is a monthly benefit for those with less than 16k tlo their name/s.
Your boyfiend is given a maximum Standard Allowance £409.89 and I assume another £341.92 as he had deaclred that he in unfit to be able to work/can only do limited work.

However, it appears from what you say, he is working. Has he asked the DWP (the benefits agency) if he is allowed to do that work and can still claim the extra maximum allowance of £341.92 via Universal Credit? If he has and they have agreed he can, he must then declare his monthly earnings and that is deducted from his monthly allowances. He doesn't get to keep his earnings and his allowances under UC, but form what you are saying, it seems he has not delared the money his earning?

Self Employed and wanting Universal Credit, have a set minimum to earn each week. His Universal Credit claim will then be based on the minimum he must earn (even if he doesn't earn that much) or what he does earn, whichever is the higher.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm

ElegyForDreams wrote:
If anyone is curious why I don't want to bring him to the U.S instead (because I meet financial requirements for THAT no stress), it's mostly because rent in the UK seems cheaper, the only places I have friends and family in the U.S is Hawaii and Californa so i'm used to high rent and his no working mentality that (i'll give the benefit of the doubt that he really can't)
Rent will be cheaper in Hull because not many people want to live there.

Your boyfriend will be fully aware that he must report monthly earnings via his online UC claim. This is because the DWP has to work out the benefits payment reduction that month. That's if he has been told he can do that work, as he has declared himeself unfit for work/limited ability to work, for additonal benefit money.