ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Giving Notice Period - Marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jenjen284
Newly Registered

Giving Notice Period - Marriage

Post by jenjen284 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi All,

Just after some advice or people's experiences really...

My finace is a non EAA national but does have a valid fiance visa. I was just wondering how long our notice period would be... 28 days or 70?

I have read on the registry office website that sometimes cases from non EAA nationals get referred back to Immigration for investigation into the genuineness of the relationship. Has this not already taken place in issuing the fiance visa to us?

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences they could share?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Giving Notice Period - Marriage

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:52 pm

The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:54 pm

jenjen284 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:47 pm
Hi All,

Just after some advice or people's experiences really...

My finace is a non EAA national but does have a valid fiance visa. I was just wondering how long our notice period would be... 28 days or 70? The 28 can get extended to 70days hence why giving notice to be done quick so that if there is need to adjust your plans and not get caught in extended notice resulting to lapse of fiance visa validity.

I have read on the registry office website that sometimes cases from non EAA nationals get referred back to Immigration for investigation into the genuineness of the relationship. Has this not already taken place in issuing the fiance visa to us? Talk about an efficient system.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences they could share?

jenjen284
Newly Registered

Post by jenjen284 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks both, that's what I'm worried about. His visa was issued but there was a delay in the visa being issued and him being able to receive it due to the TLS Contact office in his country not being open! We lost a massive chunk of time so I'm now worried that if we have to wait 70 days that it will expire before we can hold the ceremony.

Anyway, appointment booked so guess we will just have to hope for the best!

Does seem like a bit of a flawed system if they have already investigated our relationship once to issue the visa!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:21 pm

jenjen284 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Does seem like a bit of a flawed system if they have already investigated our relationship once to issue the visa!
Well this is just the tip of iceberg as each time the maintenance of relationship is tested in the form of subsisting relationship evidences.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

jenjen284
Newly Registered

Post by jenjen284 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:40 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:21 pm
jenjen284 wrote:

Well this is just the tip of iceberg as each time the maintenance of relationship is tested in the form of subsisting relationship evidences.
Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:42 pm

jenjen284 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:40 pm
seagul wrote:
jenjen284 wrote:

It means that at each application stage on your partners journey, you will be required to prove subsisting relationship with evidence. Simply already holding a visa is not sufficient.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:45 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:42 pm
jenjen284 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:40 pm
seagul wrote:
jenjen284 wrote:

It means that at each application stage on your partners journey, you will be required to prove subsisting relationship with evidence. Simply already holding a visa is not sufficient.
Thanks CR001

jenjen284
Newly Registered

Post by jenjen284 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:16 pm

Ah okay, sorry I understand now.

Yes I knew that when it came to reapplying for the visa after we got married that we would have to supply sufficient relationship evidence again. I just didn't realise that it applied to the giving notice to marry.

I really appreciate all your help and advice so far. I was just wondering what our options would be if the visa were to expire? We are still within time with the 70 days and appointment booked to give notice. Just worried about venue not having availability once papers are issued.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:21 pm

Those on fiance visas are rarely extended to 70 days. Usually 28 days or within the 28 days is the response from UKVI.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jenjen284
Newly Registered

Post by jenjen284 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:21 pm
Those on fiance visas are rarely extended to 70 days. Usually 28 days or within the 28 days is the response from UKVI.
Oh thank you, that fills me with some relief.

jenjen284
Newly Registered

Post by jenjen284 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi All,

I thought I'd post a brief update now that we have gone and completed our notice appointment.

At the time of booking our appointment online one of the questions was whether or not my partner holds the appropriate visa for marriage i.e. fiance visa. As he does we selected yes and were only charged £35 per person rather than the £47 charge that goes along with a Home Office referral and extension to 70 days.

The appointment itself was pretty straight forward. The registrar looked over the required documents (including his visa), completed the forms with us and asked to speak to both of us separately as I gather is standard.

After she had spoken with us both she told us that as my partner holds a fiance visa she sees no reason to refer our application to the Home Office and that our notice period would be the standard 28 days. She said we were free to contact our chosen venue as early as that afternoon to pick a suitable date following the end of the 28 day period. We did phone them and they had already received the papers/license so we were able to go ahead and secure a date.

Just thought I would update in case this is helpful for anyone in the future :)