ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing elderly grandparent to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Greenleaves06
Newly Registered

Bringing elderly grandparent to UK

Post by Greenleaves06 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi, I would appreciate any sensible advice

Situation
My partner (aged 30) was born in Iraq but came to the UK aged 15. His family are from Iraq. He has a British passport. His mother moved to the UK 10 years ago and also has a British passport. His grandmother (mother’s mother) lives in Jordan and has a UK family visa so can visit and stay in the UK up to 6 months. She has an Iraqi passport. The grandmother’s other children live in the US.

Recently there have been concerns about the grandmother’s health and where best she should live. She is 83 years old. She remains independent but the family are concerned she may need carers soon. Up until COVID she was coming to the UK once a year.

I understand from some research and reading on this forum, the immigration law changed in 2012 and to get an elderly dependency visa -you need to meet a very strict criteria
1. The person in question requires daily assistance for her care needs
..... in the grandmothers case - she is not needing any care currently but it’s looking like she might in the future
2. The care is not available or affordable in their country
... the grandmother is not liable to public health care in Jordan but pays for private health care. She has a basic pension and some small savings.
3. You as the sponsor can support, accommodate and care for the application
.... the sponsor would most likely be my partner (the grandson) as his mother wouldn’t financially be able to be the sponsor.

The family are keen to bring the grandmother over to live in the UK. How realistic is this?

She currently isn’t needing care but I have heard people getting documents signed that state their relative needs care. This is bending the truth but obviously families will do anything to get their relative to come to live with them. She has a flat she owns in the UK- I am not sure if this helps at all in the application ?

I would appreciate any advice

Casa

Re: Bringing elderly grandparent to UK

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:27 pm

The guidance for reasons to refuse in the link below may be helpful.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1.0ext.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Re: Bringing elderly grandparent to UK

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:27 am

The success rate of the ADR visa is about 6% on application and a further 16% after appeal, meaning that even after appeals almost 78% of ADR applications will fail.

And if the application fails, her ability to visit the UK will also be restricted, because she has shown a desire to reside in the UK, not merely to visit it. So it is possible that she will not be able to renew her visit visa when it expires.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.