ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

*PLEASE HELP* We do not live in UK but partner is adamant to get marriage registered in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

meyou5ick
Pakistan

*PLEASE HELP* We do not live in UK but partner is adamant to get marriage registered in UK

Post by meyou5ick » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:59 pm

Dear all,

Hope you are all well.

Me and my partner live outside UK at the moment. My partner however is adamant that she wants to get our marriage registered in UK. She insists that we can go on a two day trip and register, and then return.

If I was moving to UK, I would have applied for the Dependent visa and take her through the route for ILR, but since we are not doing this, she wants to register marriage for her sense of security.

I want to know if someone can just come and register marriage in a few days and go back? Is it possible?

If not, then how is the registering of marriage possible? What documents do you require? Do you need local proof of address etc.

I also want to protect myself and not just rush into this decision, as having security is not really a great reason. I will get legal advice but want to know if theres anyone here who can also advise.

Appreciate it.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: *PLEASE HELP* We do not live in UK but partner is adamant to get marriage registered in UK

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:18 pm

You can't. If you are legally married abroad, then you are treated as legally married in the UK.

You cannot simply arrive to register a foreign marriage and then leave. Also, even if you could, it doesn't give either spouse any benefit or advantage at all.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Re: *PLEASE HELP* We do not live in UK but partner is adamant to get marriage registered in UK

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:22 pm

I'm not convinced that registering a marriage which took place outside of the UK will 'strengthen' your wife's security. Providing the marriage was legal under the country were this was performed, then it will be considered as legal in the UK.

However, the official guidance is:
Please note that you will not be able to register your overseas marriage or civil partnership with the Registration Service of England and Wales

Edit: Beaten by CR001 after it took me too long to edit my original post above. :shock:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

meyou5ick
Pakistan

Post by meyou5ick » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:00 am

Thank you so much for the prompt response, you guys are honestly very helpful. 🙏

So in this case, if I decide to move to UK then I guess I use my foreign marriage certificate and then use it to apply for spouse visa.

However, no way I can register overseas marriage (please correct me if I am wrong).

Lastly, I want to protect my assets in UK from any adverse marriage outcomes. If and when I do my dependent visa, shall I also get my partner to sign prenuptial agreement? Or is it too late?

Her push to register has got me thinking I need to also protect myself.

Thanks again

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:55 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:58 am

If you are already married, then it’s too late to do a prenuptial agreement. Consider a postnuptial agreement?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:49 am

Neither pre or post nuptial agreements are valid in the UK.

meyou5ick
Pakistan

Post by meyou5ick » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:18 pm

I am married but didn't get married in UK, have overseas agreement.

Thanks to you guys I learnt that registering overseas is same.

I am thinking if we move to UK, then I'll get post-nuptial. I do need a solid reason though.