ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A quick question about the COA

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

elena2009
Newly Registered

A quick question about the COA

Post by elena2009 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I just have a quick question about the certificate of approval.

Is there an age requirement on that? Is it 21 like the fiance and spouse visa?

Thanks for your help
:)

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:44 pm

You can apply for a COA under the age of 21, but you can't apply for a spouse visa after the marriage until both of you are 21.

elena2009
Newly Registered

Post by elena2009 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks so much for replying Casa. I'm currently on a student visa from the states. If I get married before 21, can I still continue studying at university under my current visa and then later apply for a uk spousal visa (or a US marriage visa if we choose, but that's another story as I'm not quite sure what we want to do).

Someone told me that getting married before 21 means having to give up the current visa and move back to their country of residence but I don't see why this would be the case.

Please give me some advice on this.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 am

Not at all. You can continue on your present student visa and then once you reach the age of 21 if you decide you want to settle here you can switch to Further Leave to Remain - form FLR(M) from within the UK, which will grant you a 2 year spouse visa. This is as long as you are able to apply before your student visa expires. If not, return to the US and apply for a Spouse visa to re-enter - Form VAF4a once you're 21.

elena2009
Newly Registered

Post by elena2009 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks so much Casa, I really appreciate your help :)