ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Associations London

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

agkh
Newly Registered

Housing Associations London

Post by agkh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Hello,

It's been a long time since I last posted, as I have been enjoying my time with my wife here in the UK :lol:, thanks to members of this board helping here to get here. Thank you

I would like to move to a cheaper accommodation, and for obvious reason I cannot apply with the local council.

Housing Association (HA) are an alternatives but some of them require "recommendation from your local authorities (LA)", now if I use one of those Housing Association would that be classes as a council house and in breech of the immigration restriction?

For example there is the "City West Homes" (I think it's called in London) and there are others like "Peabody Trust(?)", although they are all in Westminster, I don't think westminter council controls them, rather they recommend people there.

I think it's all very confusing, if anybody can shed some light on this who has knowledge or experience themselves I would be ever so grateful.

How the HA system works and its effect on the immigration control, and I would also be grateful of a list of HA in london that are safe to apply with :)

Thanks one again.

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Housing is within the definition of Public Funds if either :
  • it is provided by a Local Authority, or
  • it is provided by a Housing Association, but only because a Local Authority has nomination rights and has nominated you to that Housing Association.
If you apply direct to a Housing Association and get allocated a property by them, but not because a Local Authority has nominated you, then that is not within the definition of Public Funds.
John

blessedlady89

Re: Housing Associations London

Post by blessedlady89 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:38 pm

As long as you don't claim housing benefit and council tax benefit I don't think this will be a problem.
agkh wrote:Hello,

It's been a long time since I last posted, as I have been enjoying my time with my wife here in the UK :lol:, thanks to members of this board helping here to get here. Thank you

I would like to move to a cheaper accommodation, and for obvious reason I cannot apply with the local council.

Housing Association (HA) are an alternatives but some of them require "recommendation from your local authorities (LA)", now if I use one of those Housing Association would that be classes as a council house and in breech of the immigration restriction?

For example there is the "City West Homes" (I think it's called in London) and there are others like "Peabody Trust(?)", although they are all in Westminster, I don't think westminter council controls them, rather they recommend people there.

I think it's all very confusing, if anybody can shed some light on this who has knowledge or experience themselves I would be ever so grateful.

How the HA system works and its effect on the immigration control, and I would also be grateful of a list of HA in london that are safe to apply with :)

Thanks one again.

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:25 am

Thank you so much to everyone who answered.

I am not claiming HB or CTB, only contribution-based JSA at the moment (unfortunately). :?

Is the size of the house important for an ILR application. I would like to rent the most inexpensive flat/studio and there is myself, my wife and my child (one year old) - so accommodation for 2.5 person, I guess.

Would a studio flat be acceptable for this?

Thanks again :)

vks

Post by vks » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi,

I have a similar question!

I was looking to buy a home recently from a builder. There was an option for from Home buy direct (which is a part of UK government) They help first time buyers with a 30% deposit based on the income level (after the assessment) Is the above scheme falling under public funds?

From the public funds I found these three revelent line items:

housing benefit;
an allocation of local authority housing; and
local authority homelessness assistance.

Thanks much for your response!
Regards,
vks

John

Post by John » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 pm

I think you are referring to this scheme.

As you will appreciate the definition of Public Funds is nothing like the whole list of benefits paid by the UK Government. It is much more limited. And this scheme is not within the definition of Public Funds, as in para 6 of the Immigration Rules. So no problem using that scheme.
John

vks

Post by vks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 pm

ok!
Thanks much1
Regards,
vks