ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESOL course for wife on settlement visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ESOL course for wife on settlement visa

Post by 688148256 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:55 pm

My wife applied for an ESOL course to improve her english but on the day of enrollment she was told she would have to pay about £1000 atleast to get on the course because she is not allowed to use public funds.

Is there any other institution in HAYES, MIDDLESEX, LONDON or nearer area where she can get into some sort of course so that she can learn something for future at a CHEAPER PRICE then UXBRIDGE college.

We are willing to pay for the course, but my budget allows upto £350 p/year..

junai

Post by junai » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 pm

You could try a charity. I am an ESOL tutor and when people come in, who are in the same position as your wife, we refer them to New Life Christian Centre. They hold ESOL classes for free. I can't vouch for the quality of teaching or the amount of tution she would receive but it might be worth looking into. As far as i am aware they have centres all over the UK. There are other charitable organisations that offer similar things. Try google (you may have to search long and hard as charities don't tend to appear high up the list) or ask the college if they know of anywhere that offer free courses. The other place to enquire would be the Job Centre - they should have a list of organisations that they refer people to.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Adult Education courses run by the local council are usually around £150 a term.
Does your wife just want to improve her English, or is it also to qualify for ILR?
If so, whichever course she chooses, it must contain Citizen's content.

taromiew
Newly Registered

Post by taromiew » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Ah, we have come across this problem too. My husband was all set to go onto an esol course at our local college; we were told that it was £205 for that term but when it came to paying the cashier told us he needed to have lived in the UK for at least a year to qualify for the home student fee but if he wanted to go ahead, he'll be treated as an international student which meant that it will cost a LOT more. According to that particular college, many places have stopped doing esol with citizenship material so she told us to be quick as places were being snapped up quickly.

We found an esol course provided by a charity which is free to anyone who is unemployed but this does not contain citizenship material. I think most classes have already started though - they go on for 12 weeks - but the next term will start in January and then April, again it's 12 weeks per term.

Scain
Newly Registered

ESOL with citizenship

Post by Scain » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Are you talking about the ESOL with citizenship course? If so my friend did her's at a place in Leytonstone called Intelligent Training Academy. The course was for 4 days with an assesment on the Friday. The cost was 235 pounds. The training was really good and the service was excellent. They even offered to give her 4 days free training and to pay for her assesment if she failed

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:09 pm

How do you show progression from one level to the next in 4 days?
Be wary of courses that promise a 'quick fix'. There are only certain examining bodies which are accepted as qualification for ILR and BC applications. I'm not saying that the one you've mentioned isn't, but it may be unrealistic to expect someone with only minimal English (entry level 1) to pass Listening and Speaking tests to the required standard and be ready to commence Level 2 in less than a week!
The ESOL option does come under a great deal of scrutiny. :roll: