ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Elderly parents (or not old enough?)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wunder
Member of Standing

Elderly parents (or not old enough?)

Post by wunder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Basically I wonder if I can bring my parents to live with me in UK...

Their circumstances:
- my mother is 56 years old, a pensioner, without any property or significant savings
- my mother is married to a 51 year old man, who I call step-father (but he is not my step-father legally); he's unemployed with low chances of working ever again due to health problems (he worked as a construction worker)
- I've been supporting them both for about a year now with monthly payments via wire transfers, I have evidence of that;
- my mother has no other relatives, just me and step-father
- my step-father owns a tiny flat where they both live

My circumstances:
- I'm in UK on ILR
- I have enough savings and earnings to fully provide for my parents

Is this hopeless?

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Also, I totally forgot - my step-father will be a pensioner in about a year (early retirement because of his health issues).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm

I'd say so yes. These visas are hard even when the criteria are fully filled. And I think the visa fees now (or soon to be) for this category are £1600 each.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Agreed. Consider naturalising as a British citizen and then moving to another EU Member State. Your parents will then be entitled to join you there, free.

After six months of working abroad, you can all move back to the UK.

Easier said than done I accept, but it's an option. Cheaper than £1600 each anyway.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 am

Ben wrote:Cheaper than £1600 each anyway.
I doubt that relocating to a foreign country for half-year will be cheaper :lol:
Do you think Ireland might be suitable for this?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 am

wunder wrote:Do you think Ireland might be suitable for this?
Entirely.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:21 am

Ben wrote:Entirely.
What about Germany? (I'm sorry to resurrect my old thread - but I need a clarification)

I used to live in Germany and my parents (who are not EEA citizens) actually own a house there - so it will be very easy for us to move there for 7-8 months (and I can be self-employed during that time). Will this work?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:25 am

wunder wrote:
Ben wrote:Entirely.
What about Germany? (I'm sorry to resurrect my old thread - but I need a clarification)

I used to live in Germany and my parents (who are not EEA citizens) actually own a house there - so it will be very easy for us to move there for 7-8 months (and I can be self-employed during that time). Will this work?
yes germany is fine.
I tell it like it is.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:14 pm

It's almost impossible to get parents under the age of 65 into the UK, sorry.

You need to demonstrate exceptional, compelling compassionate circumstances.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 pm

avjones wrote:It's almost impossible to get parents under the age of 65 into the UK, sorry.
Well, it would appear that there is a way - as earlier posters helpfully described!

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 pm

wunder wrote:
avjones wrote:It's almost impossible to get parents under the age of 65 into the UK, sorry.
Well, it would appear that there is a way - as earlier posters helpfully described!
Not in his current position, there isn't.

Firstly, he'd have to naturalise. A person can only exercise treaty rights once a UK citizen.

So as to bringing them to the UK, under the immigration rules, it's very difficult indeed.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:08 am

avjones wrote:Firstly, he'd have to naturalise. A person can only exercise treaty rights once a UK citizen.
Well, he (me :lol:) is only about 4 months away from applying for British Citizenship - so luckily it will be an option for me soon :) (fingers crossed!)

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:05 am

Good luck he / you :D

mongle
Newly Registered

Post by mongle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:29 pm

[quote="Ben"]Agreed. Consider naturalising as a British citizen and then moving to another EU Member State. Your parents will then be entitled to join you there, free.

After six months of working abroad, you can all move back to the UK.

Easier said than done I accept, but it's an option. Cheaper than £1600 each anyway.[/quote]

Hi Ben, Thanks for providing this alternative route. I am a British citizen and can get work in Dublin. I also realise that once i do that, my dependant parents can join me there as per http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... y%20Rights
What i do not understand is how ALL of us can move back to the UK in 6 months as all my parents will get is a residence card for Ireland. Pls advise.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

It's the "Surinder Singh" idea. You and your parents would in effect be exercising treaty rights when you moved back to the UK. Well, you would, and your parents would be family members for the purposes of the 2006 regulations.

mongle
Newly Registered

Post by mongle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Amanda for the pointer to the "Surinder Singh" idea. The UKBA website too has reference to this. So this nicely completes the loop and the rules are clearer than the ambiguous ILR rules for this category. Just hope that the EU rules dont change for next few years! Thanks..

s1dhart
Newly Registered

Post by s1dhart » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:25 pm

thanks