ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancee visa for my Chinese Girlfreind

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Anon Mouse

Fiancee visa for my Chinese Girlfreind

Post by Anon Mouse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm

I am engaged to my Chinese Girlfreind who I have been in a relationship with for over a year. She is 23 and living in China, I am 30 and am a British Citizen.
We are planning on applying for a fiancee visa, marrying in UK and then applying for a Spouce visa.
I am new to all of this and I am confused as to ascerting what documents we need and as to what the procedure is for the application. I would like to know the answers and have advice for the following issuies;

1) My Girlfreind is convinced that I need proof that I am single, but as far as I am aware, in the UK we have no such documentation. After she spoke to a freind of hers who is married to a British Guy she described a Marriage Certificate....now I was under the impression you only got a marriage certificate once married and not before.

2) We wish to have a basic cerimony (both of us are athiests) at a Registry Office and I dont know how to arrange this.

3) I am unsure about how much money I need to have as income and in savings for the purpose of proving I can support her. I earn £21,260 per year as a Train Conductor, which works out between £1,300 - £1,600 dependent on overtime, commission and sundays worked each month.
I live in my Mums house, and I give my Mum £200 each month as board, I pay £216 towards a Bank Loan each month and I put £300 into my savings account each month. At the moment my savings are at £1,000. and I pay between £50-£150 each month towards a Credit Card I am paying off.
Are these facts ok for application or could it cause problems?

4) The Home Office do publish a list online which lists documentation accepted for the application, but it is a little vague on what is most important, can anyone tell me what documents are a must?

5) My Girlfreind works as a Civil Servant for the Chinese Goverment, she has done this job for the last 6 months or so after she Graduated from University. She has never been to the UK, but she has travelled abroad to Thailand while she was a Student. Will these factors have any negative or postive bearings?

I apologize if this topic is a bit too big, but we are worried and nervous about the whole issuie and it would be extremelly painful and heartbreaking if the visa is refused.

Thank you to everyone in advance
Last edited by Anon Mouse on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Have you physically met?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Wanderer wrote:Have you physically met?
yeah I have been to see her 4 times and I am going to see her again in May. We talk to each other on phone/msn nearly each day and we send text messages at least 4-5 times to each other each day. The relationship has developed very well and is very strong....we also write to each other on a fairly regular basis also

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:42 pm

My Girlfreind is convinced that I need proof that I am single, but as far as I am aware, in the UK we have no such documentation.
In fact, actually, you are both wrong! It is possible, if the person is indeed single, to get a Certificate of No Impediment from a UK Register Office. I think the person applies for that, the notice is posted openly in the Register Office, similar to a intended marriage notice, and after so many days the Registrar issues the required certificate, assuming no objections from the public have been received.

However, your fiancée is wrong to think that such a certificate is required by the UK authorities if the intended marriage is to be in the UK, which it will be if a fiancée visa is being applied for.

So the purpose of the Certificate of No Impediment? Where the person intends to get married outside the UK, it might be a requirement of the authorities in the country where the marriage is going to happen. I have not checked but it could be that China requires such a certificate, and that might be why your fiancée has got her thought from? But you are not intending to get married in China, are you!
John

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:48 pm

John wrote:
My Girlfreind is convinced that I need proof that I am single, but as far as I am aware, in the UK we have no such documentation.
In fact, actually, you are both wrong! It is possible, if the person is indeed single, to get a Certificate of No Impediment from a UK Register Office. I think the person applies for that, the notice is posted openly in the Register Office, similar to a intended marriage notice, and after so many days the Registrar issues the required certificate, assuming no objections from the public have been received.

However, your fiancée is wrong to think that such a certificate is required by the UK authorities if the intended marriage is to be in the UK, which it will be if a fiancée visa is being applied for.

So the purpose of the Certificate of No Impediment? Where the person intends to get married outside the UK, it might be a requirement of the authorities in the country where the marriage is going to happen. I have not checked but it could be that China requires such a certificate, and that might be why your fiancée has got her thought from? But you are not intending to get married in China, are you!
Right I see. Yes we intend on marrying here in the UK so the application of a fiancee visa means there is no need for me to get such document?

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:51 pm

That is right, no need.
John

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:57 pm

John wrote:That is right, no need.
Cheers John, so that is one question answered....at what point though do we need to post a notice of intended marriage?

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:50 pm

OK, delving into the questions, as in the opening post :-

1. Already dealt with, see above
  2. After she has been in the UK for a few days the two of you will need to go to the Register Office. If you click here you will see the relevant page from the website of Birmingham Register Office. Other Register Offices will have a similar page. Note that the notice cannot be given until you both comply with .... "You must each have lived in the district of residence in England or Wales for seven clear days before either notice is given." So let's say she arrives in the UK on a Sunday, it is not until Monday week after that arrival that the notice can be given, at the earliest.
  3. That looks OK. I don't think you have a problem passing the financial test.
  4. As well as documents to show that you are passing the financial test, you also need documents to show the accommodation test is passed as well. Also include "evidence of contact" to show that the relationship is real.
  5. None of that should be considered as a negative, or indeed as a positive. In other words, neutral. It is certainly not a negative that she has never been to the UK.
But also, spend a couple of evenings look through the posts in this section of this board. In other words, learn from the actual experience of others who have gone before you.
John

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks for your advice John, appreciated

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Can anyone tell me what other documentation I need to prove relationship and accomodation test? She wants to apply in July, so I need to get all the documentation together to post if off to her. Thanks

John

Post by John » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm

OK, the accommodation test for you, given you have previously told us "I live in my Mums house, and I give my Mum £200 each month as board".

Assuming your Mum agrees that your fiancée/wife can live there with you, you need :-
  • written confirmation from your mother that permission for you both to live in her house is agreed
  • does your Mum own the house? If so, a copy of the property record from Land Registry, feed in the postal details and then pay a massive £4 for the Title Register
  • If your Mum has a mortgage, a letter from the mortgage provider showing that the payments are up-to-date. If no mortgage then that will be confirmed by the Title Register.
  • If house rented, written permission from the owner or agent that your fiancée/wife can move in.
  • As regards the size of the property, excluding any Spam, bathroom or toilet, whatever their size, who many rooms in the place exceed 50 sq ft in size? And assuming the visa application is granted, how many adults will be living there? And if any children, how many and their ages?
Evidence of contact? What have you got?
John

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Ok, thanks for that

The permission of her to live with me, morgage deatils and land registry will be easy enough to get.

Its a 3 bedroom house, with a large living room/dining room. Basically a typical ex Council House built in the 30's. Currently my Mother and Father and myself live here, however my Sister is currently living in assisted housing but may return home. So with my Girlfreind here it should mean 4 people living in the house, 5 if my Sister returns home. I belive the maximum occupancy is 5 in a 3 bedroom house? Are there other documents I need, do I need details of utility bills etc, that my Mother pays and are in her name? Will I need photographs of the house, rooms etc and will there need to be a propety inspection?

Another concern is, when I have all the documentation I will need to send it in the post to her in China, is this safe and secure or is there a better way?

We talk on MSN nearly everyday, we text each other every day and I have plane ticket stubs, letters, photographs and emails.

Cheers

John

Post by John » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 pm

I belive the maximum occupancy is 5 in a 3 bedroom house?
It is not that simple. As mentioned before, excluding Spam, bathroom and toilet, whatever their size, how many rooms in the place exceed 50 sq ft?

Evidence of contact? That looks OK.

How to get evidence to her in China? Maybe someone from China, or living there, can post. But in the absence of any such comment, use International Signed For service from the Post Office?
John

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:15 pm

John wrote:
I belive the maximum occupancy is 5 in a 3 bedroom house?
It is not that simple. As mentioned before, excluding Spam, bathroom and toilet, whatever their size, how many rooms in the place exceed 50 sq ft?

Evidence of contact? That looks OK.

How to get evidence to her in China? Maybe someone from China, or living there, can post. But in the absence of any such comment, use International Signed For service from the Post Office?
I will look into DHL or similar.

Well two bedrooms are definatly over that size, the small bedroom, im not too sure about. The living Room and dining room takes up more than half of downstairs but as there no wall between the living room and dining room I am unsure wheather that will be classed as 1 room or two. In anycase there is at least 3.........really need to measure the small bedroom. Cheers

Aya 69
Newly Registered

Re: Fiancee visa for my Chinese Girlfreind

Post by Aya 69 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi,

My fiance just obtained his visa today and after reading your questions, I thought of sharing this info with you. These are the documents that my fiance and I submitted.

* Complete application form with passport sized photograph attached
* Complete sponsorship undertaking
* Checklist

File 1

* His Original Passport
* Certified copy of Sponsor’s Birtish Passport
* Decree Absolute and a letter from Sponsor’s solicitor
* Letter of support from Sponsor
* His letter / statement

File 2:

* Letters of support from family and friends
* Photographs
* Travel tickets
* Personal correspondence
* Copy of emails to and from my fiancé and I
* Old Tenancy Agreement from our flat that we rented as a proof of cohabitation

File 3:

* Copy of Sponsor’s contract of Employment and Letter from Employer
* Sponsor’s payslips and P60
* Sponsor’s bank statements
* His CV
* His bank statement - saving more that GBP5000
* His source of income ( he own a property in his home country of which he rented it out) Tenancy agreement as a proof.

File 4:

* Latest Current Tenancy Agreement
* Latest Utility bills

All the best and I pray for the both of you.

God bless
A

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:24 am

Thank you Aya 69, thats most helpful :)

chadwickkcc
Newly Registered

Post by chadwickkcc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi all. I'm in a very similar situation but the difference is that we don't necessarily have to get married in the UK (unless that has an advantage). Please see a copy of my questions below.

I am a British National and I am planning to marry a woman who is a Chinese National and currently residing in the PR China. Eventually, we will move back and settle in the UK permanently. The timing of this is yet to be decided. And below are my questions.

1) If she were to apply for a spouse visa, would it make the process easier (overcoming less obstacles), if she were already in the UK (which means that she would have to apply for a marriage visa and get married in the UK first), as opposed to getting married overseas and applying for the spouse visa from overseas?

2) How does the above compare to the case in which we get married and spend 4 years overseas, before making an application for permanent residence in the UK?

Simply put, I want to know which route makes her settlement in the UK the easiest. I have heard from a solicitor that applications to whatever visa is easier if you were already in the UK.

So any thoughts on that? Your comments are much appreciated.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm

chadwickkcc wrote:Hi all. I'm in a very similar situation but the difference is that we don't necessarily have to get married in the UK (unless that has an advantage). Please see a copy of my questions below.

I am a British National and I am planning to marry a woman who is a Chinese National and currently residing in the PR China. Eventually, we will move back and settle in the UK permanently. The timing of this is yet to be decided. And below are my questions.

1) If she were to apply for a spouse visa, would it make the process easier (overcoming less obstacles), if she were already in the UK (which means that she would have to apply for a marriage visa and get married in the UK first), as opposed to getting married overseas and applying for the spouse visa from overseas?

2) How does the above compare to the case in which we get married and spend 4 years overseas, before making an application for permanent residence in the UK?

Simply put, I want to know which route makes her settlement in the UK the easiest. I have heard from a solicitor that applications to whatever visa is easier if you were already in the UK.

So any thoughts on that? Your comments are much appreciated.
duplicate post

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 pm

As for evidence of living arrangements, will I need the deeds (or official copy of) the deeds to my Mums house?

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

I'm even more confused after looking on the internet. I have found the Home Office form for Sponsorship Undertaking, but as I do not own the house or pay bills due to it being my Mums house its her name that is on the documentation requested. Will that cause any problems? the only bills that are in my name at my address are my phone bill and broadband bill. Obviously the Morgage details, utility bills, council tax etc are in my Mums name. Undertsandably I am very worried!

I have just found a letter from HM Revenue & Customs, will that be enough evidence as my residence at my mums address, and a covering letter explaining my Mum pays the morgage and utility bills....and will I need my mums utility bills in the application too?

thanks

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:00 pm

She is now insisting that the Visa Centre state that I need evidence that I am single, she says she does not know the English name when I asked her if she could tell me the name of the document....do I just get a Certificate of No Inpediment even though its not necisarry in UK law, or is there another simplier document that I can provide?

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 pm

I think that the VFS staff are mistaken, however, if you think that it is worth it to arrange the Certificate of No Impediment rather than the hassle of fighting the bureaucrats (which I could understand!) then go for it. As far as I know there is no other legal proof of your unmarried status - anyone else know otherwise?

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:06 am

stmellon wrote:I think that the VFS staff are mistaken, however, if you think that it is worth it to arrange the Certificate of No Impediment rather than the hassle of fighting the bureaucrats (which I could understand!) then go for it. As far as I know there is no other legal proof of your unmarried status - anyone else know otherwise?
Well, I went to registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages yesterday and I was told that I would not be able to get a Certificate of No Impediment as we are getting married in UK. I think she is worrying a bit too much but it is a stressful time for both of us

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 am

Anon Mouse, are the VFS staff saying they will not accept the applicaiton without some kind of Certificate of No Impediment for you, or are they just "advising" her that she needs one?

As long as it's the latter, I would say just get on with the application. A CNI isn't required for marriage in the UK, and there's no requirement to submit one with the fiancée visa application.

Has your fiancée printed out the documents checklist for settlement applications from VFS's website? There is no mention of a CNI there!

Anon Mouse

Post by Anon Mouse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Kitty wrote:Anon Mouse, are the VFS staff saying they will not accept the applicaiton without some kind of Certificate of No Impediment for you, or are they just "advising" her that she needs one?

As long as it's the latter, I would say just get on with the application. A CNI isn't required for marriage in the UK, and there's no requirement to submit one with the fiancée visa application.

Has your fiancée printed out the documents checklist for settlement applications from VFS's website? There is no mention of a CNI there!
Yeah she has printed it out and sent me a copy and yes there is no mention of a CNI. We have (or are in process) of getting the rest of the documentation so hopefully things will work out the way we want it to :)