ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting documents confusion for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Supporting documents confusion for Spouse Visa

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi,

my wife and I got married in mexico and we are due to submit our uk spouse visa application next Tuesday to the british embassy in Mexico city.

I am very confused about the part where it says all supporting documents must be in English. Does that include our Mexican marriage certificate, my Mexican wife's birth certificate and national identification card? Do these all have to be translated and apostilled? If they are already apostilled, does the translation have to be apostilled?

Please help. We only have 6 days until our appointment and it will take time to translate an legalise these documents if that needs doing.

Thanks very much for your help

Please guys, my time is running out, woeldbridge are useless and the British embassy just tell you to call woeldbridge.

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes, all needs to be translated and notarised, otherwise any rubber-johnny could translate into anything!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:25 pm

This is what it says on the UK Visas website.
UK Visas wrote:You must provide original documents and a translation of any supporting documents which are not in English. Your application may be refused if you do not provide original documents and a certified translation if necessary. The translated documents must:

* include details of the translator's name;
* confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
* be dated and include the original signature of the translator.

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

so why then did the lady at worldbridge tell me that I am allowed to translate my own marriage certificate by myself? that info is officially from the uk border agency

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:18 pm

nickkarkie wrote:so why then did the lady at worldbridge tell me that I am allowed to translate my own marriage certificate by myself? that info is officially from the uk border agency
You are not allowed to translate and certify docs yourself as you can put down what ever you want people to know.

It msut be done by an independant person capable of translating your document accurately and precisley and then certifying it to be a true copy

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:23 pm

certifying it is just putting their stamp with the following:

* be dated and include the original signature of the translator

so this is not an apostille, just a certification.

So only non Mexican and non British documents need to be apostilled, is that correct?

thanks for your help, you are lifesavers

Nick

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:25 pm

nickkarkie wrote:so why then did the lady at worldbridge tell me that I am allowed to translate my own marriage certificate by myself? that info is officially from the uk border agency
If I told u I had three bum cheeks would you believe me?

the people on the phones are clueless, get something in writing and you've got a chance, word of mouth is worth nowt..

You can translate it yourself, no problem but it has to be notarised by a professional as a true translation - otherwise you could put bollocks...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Wanderer wrote:

the people on the phones are clueless, get something in writing and you've got a chance, word of mouth is worth nowt..

You can translate it yourself, no problem but it has to be notarised by a professional as a true translation - otherwise you could put bollocks...
It is as wanderer so succinctly put

Eee by gum 'e 'as a way with words 'e does

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:52 pm

certifying it is just putting their stamp with the following:

* be dated and include the original signature of the translator

so this is not an apostille, just a certification.
Yes it a certification, and it shoud suffice. I would still prefer an interpreter to do it,rather tahn yourself.

This is required for all non English documents,so the ECO can understand what it says when he looks at it.

Hope this helps

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Wanderer wrote:

I'm with you, I laughed at her on the phone and she got a bit offended and said the info was from the border agency.

I have found an official translator very close to us here in mexico city who will do it for us before our appointment on Tuesday.

I have a letter sent from my local MP Andrew McKinlay who is also head of foreign affairs directly to the ECO in Mexico attesting to my integrity as a person and the validity of our relationship, will that help in any way?

Thanks for your replies

Nick

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:27 pm

It was not really neccessary but it can't hurt.

There should be no impediment as long as your marriage is genuine

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:40 pm

yes of course it is genuine, we have lived together for the last 8 months (all with evidence).

One final question. I was divorced in spain and have my divorce apostilled/legalised.

Now that I have remarried, do I (as sponsor) have to include my divorce decree absolute in my documents? or is that not necessary seeing as we have already legally married and obviously I could not have married if I was still previously married

thanks

:)

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:52 pm

nickkarkie wrote:yes of course it is genuine, we have lived together for the last 8 months (all with evidence).

One final question. I was divorced in spain and have my divorce apostilled/legalised.

Now that I have remarried, do I (as sponsor) have to include my divorce decree absolute in my documents? or is that not necessary seeing as we have already legally married and obviously I could not have married if I was still previously married

thanks

:)
Definately Yes. They will want to see the DA before issuing visa to your new wife

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 pm

thanks again.

Sorry, I have been really stressed today running around sorting documents haha and I forgot to ask something, does my wife's Passport have to have any certification or translation or a certified copy or is just the original ok?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 pm

nickkarkie wrote:thanks again.

Sorry, I have been really stressed today running around sorting documents haha and I forgot to ask something, does my wife's Passport have to have any certification or translation or a certified copy or is just the original ok?
No need to , as you will have to hand the original passport with application :wink:

nickkarkie
Newly Registered

Post by nickkarkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for all your help.

You are welcome to free fish and chips in my restaurant any time you are in Essex :)