ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement visa - have money in bank, but no job

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joeking1809
Newly Registered

Settlement visa - have money in bank, but no job

Post by joeking1809 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:15 am

Hello

I have a couple of questions.

My wife will be applying for a settlement visa soon. We have been living abroad together for 8 years and we have 2 young children (who are British nationals, since I am British). I have money in the bank of approximately 250,000 pounds, and currently I have a job (abroad). She also has money in her own bank, of approx 25,000 pounds. I shall be quitting my job to move back to the UK, and will look for a new job once there. So, when she makes the application, I will be able to show my current income and cash in the bank, but it will also be clear that I won't have a job to go to in the UK. How is the best way to handle this in the application ? Will the money in the bank be suitable evidence that I can support her without recourse to public funds ?

I will be using part of the money I have to buy a house in the UK after we arrive. Initially we will live with my parents, whose house is large enough to accommodate us. Will it suffice to have a letter from my parents saying that we can live there, along with some details of the property, or will we need an actual tenancy agreement with my parents as landlord ?

Thanks in advance
JK

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:16 am

I think £250,000k is more than enough to support you and your family in the UK till you are in a position to find employment.

Are the prospect of you getting a job in the Uk feasable?. What does your wife do? and will she be able to work?. If so you would have no problem.

If you are going to be living with your parents, you will need a letter of consent from them to stay with them. Will there be enough room in the house for all of you without being overcrowded?. You may need a housing report to verify that there is indeed enough space.

If you are worried about this, then maybe rented accommodation would be a better option.

When making your application make it clear that you have been married and living together for more than 4 yrs and you will be granted ILE rather than ILR.

You will need to convince the ECO that on arrival into UK, you will be able to get a job soon thus enabling you to support your family without recourse to public funds.

You may need to explain and show proof of how you have managed to have savings of 250k.

You will need form VA4FB which can be downloaded from Home office website

Hope this helps

joeking1809
Newly Registered

Post by joeking1809 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:41 am

Thank for your reply !

We've been living together for 8 years, but married for only 3. Does that change the ILE/ILR situation ?

As for accommodation, I am also a little worried about the overcrowding problem. Basically, we would have the use of a large bedrooom to ourselves (our children are 4 year old twins) plus shared use of the rest of the house (Spam/dining room, conservatory, lounge, Spam, family bathroom). My father suggested that they could temporarily move to their holiday home - a flat that they own in Ireland - and give us full use of the house. Since they are retired, this is not a big problem for them, though obviously they would prefer not to. If they give us full use of the house, would a simple letter of consent be sufficient ? Do they need to provide a copy of the title deeds (there is no mortgage).

Rented accommodation is more tricky since we need to make the visa application before we come to the UK. I wouldn't want to just rent somewhere based on descriptions and pictures, even on a very short term basis.

As for employment, I'm a graduate with 15 years of work experience so I don't think I would struggle too much, though I would be a bit choosy. My wife has only ever worked for herself (freelance fashion design) so that will be harder, and to be honest, she is intending to be a housewife (given the kids).

Thanks again
JK

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 pm

I'll leave others to answer the accomodation queries, but regarding being able to apply for ILE with KOL requirement...unfortunately for some bizarre reason you can't mix time spent together as an Unmarried Couple with your time married. It's one or the other to complete the 4 years...so you're one year short.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

As for accommodation, I am also a little worried about the overcrowding problem. Basically, we would have the use of a large bedrooom to ourselves (our children are 4 year old twins) plus shared use of the rest of the house (Spam/dining room, conservatory, lounge, Spam, family bathroom). My father suggested that they could temporarily move to their holiday home - a flat that they own in Ireland - and give us full use of the house. Since they are retired, this is not a big problem for them, though obviously they would prefer not to. If they give us full use of the house, would a simple letter of consent be sufficient ? Do they need to provide a copy of the title deeds (there is no mortgage).
Use the link below to determine whether the house where you intend to reside will be overcrowded. Personally speaking I don't think it will be.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=6227

You therefore need to get your father to write a letter of consent that he is happy and prepared to accommodate you and your family on arrival in the UK for a short period till you are able to find your own property.

You will need to send copy of title deeds of the property to show that he owns it. He can get these from his solicitor or he could download them for £8 at the UK Land Registry Office.

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk

Hope this has helped.

joeking1809
Newly Registered

Post by joeking1809 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for the information. It seems our situation would be one of a house in multiple occupation, for which the link says that separate overcrowding regulations exist. However, it does not say what those regulations are.

Am I missing something ?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:34 pm

joeking1809 wrote:Thanks for the information. It seems our situation would be one of a house in multiple occupation, for which the link says that separate overcrowding regulations exist. However, it does not say what those regulations are.

Am I missing something ?
Multiple occupation properties is when 3 or more different people unrelated to each other share/rent a house.

This does not apply to you as you are only staying temporaily at your parents home, therefore you only need consent letter from there that is ok for you and your family to stay there rent free till you find your own property.

Hopeit makes sense now.

joeking1809
Newly Registered

Post by joeking1809 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 am

Thanks again.

Do we also need a report detailing the size of the rooms in the house ? Would this be unnecessary if my father wrote in the consent letter that we could have exclusive use of the entire house because they would live elsewhere for as long as it took for us to find a place of our own ?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 am

Pm me your email Joe. I will send you a doc which will help you in this case

scousedennis79
Newly Registered

Post by scousedennis79 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:57 pm

batleykhan wrote:

You will need to send copy of title deeds of the property to show that he owns it. He can get these from his solicitor or he could download them for £8 at the UK Land Registry Office.

Hope this has helped.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I would also like to buy and download a copy of the title deeds to my house. Which part of the site do I use to obtain this service?

Do I search for my house via "Find a property", register as a member, and take it from there? Thanks.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

scousedennis79 wrote:
batleykhan wrote:

Hope this has helped.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I would also like to buy and download a copy of the title deeds to my house. Which part of the site do I use to obtain this service?

Do I search for my house via "Find a property", register as a member, and take it from there? Thanks.
Yes just put your house number and postcode and you need to downlaod title register and title plan @ £4 each

kaidee

Post by kaidee » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 am

Is the title plan necessary/useful to include? I have the register already.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 am

It wont do any harm either way.

kaidee

Post by kaidee » Mon May 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Cheers.