ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite leave to ENTER (ILE)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

VIRGIN2030
Newly Registered

Indefinite leave to ENTER (ILE)

Post by VIRGIN2030 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:42 am

HI,
CAN SOMEBODY GUIDE ME HOW TO FILL APPLICATION FORM FOR ILE.
OR CAN SOMEBODY FILL ME AND FORWARD IT TO ME IF I GIVE HIM SUPPOSED DETAILS?

John

Post by John » Sun May 16, 2010 6:21 am

Why are you shouting? On the internet posting in block capitals is equivalent to shouting, and on this board such posts are liable to be deleted without warning.

Are you sure ILE is due? Have you been married and lived together outside the UK for over 4 years? Has the visa applicant already passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test?

Also, in which country will be application be made?
John

VIRGIN2030
Newly Registered

Post by VIRGIN2030 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:02 am

John wrote:Why are you shouting? On the internet posting in block capitals is equivalent to shouting, and on this board such posts are liable to be deleted without warning.

Are you sure ILE is due? Have you been married and lived together outside the UK for over 4 years? Has the visa applicant already passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test?

Also, in which country will be application be made?
hi john,accept my apologise i didnt noticed that im writing in block capitals.
yes im sure ile is due and as far as i know applicant dont need to pass citizenship test as she got master degree from uk university in past.
and country is india.

John

Post by John » Sun May 16, 2010 9:40 am

You have not said how long the two of you have been married and living together outside the UK. That is important information .... please provide the answer to that.

Also, as regards "as far as i know applicant dont need to pass citizenship test as she got master degree from uk university in past", sorry that is wrong, and without a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, it is impossible to get ILE issued.

But before discussing another possibility, we need to know the answer to the question asked above, about how long the two of you have been married and living together outside the UK.
John

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 am

VIRGIN2030 wrote: applicant dont need to pass citizenship test as she got master degree from uk university in past.
Having a degree does not exempt people from the life in the uk test.
I tell it like it is.

VIRGIN2030
Newly Registered

Post by VIRGIN2030 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 am

John wrote:You have not said how long the two of you have been married and living together outside the UK. That is important information .... please provide the answer to that.

Also, as regards "as far as i know applicant dont need to pass citizenship test as she got master degree from uk university in past", sorry that is wrong, and without a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, it is impossible to get ILE issued.

But before discussing another possibility, we need to know the answer to the question asked above, about how long the two of you have been married and living together outside the UK.
its 6 years now we been married n we are still outside the uk and tell me how can then she sit for test if she is not in country?

John

Post by John » Sun May 16, 2010 11:52 am

OK, now that you have confirmed that the two of you have been married and lived together for at least 4 years, there are two possible paths of how to proceed :-
  1. She would study for the test, fly to the UK (she will need a visitor visa) and then take the test, and hopefully pass, and then armed with that pass certificate she can indeed apply for ILE.
  2. She can apply for a 27-month spouse visa, and point out that the two of you have been married and lived together outside the UK for over 4 years, and thus the visa should be endorsed "KOL REQ". With that visa and endorsement she would then move to the UK, study for the test, and when passed she can apply for ILR, even if it is well before the end of the spouse visa.
Going for 1. involves a trip to the UK, with cost of that. Against that 2. involves the cost of the ILR application in the UK. However, unless she is going to visit the UK anyway, 2. is probably better as it takes off any time pressure to get the test passed at an early date.
John

pranush
Newly Registered

Post by pranush » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi John,
I am in the same position as Virgin2030. I have stayed with my husband outside UK for nearly 7 years and I came in August, 2009 with my husband (my husband is a UK citizen) on a student visa. I have passed the Life in UK test 3 months back. Can you please tell whether I should be eligible for ILR. And should I go to my country to convert my visa from "student visa" to ILR or appropriate visa.
My husband is coming to UK after 20 years (even he was a UK citizen) and hence I could not apply for spouse visa last year and instead applied for student visa.

Thanks,
Pranush

andersng
Newly Registered

ILE for spouse of UK citizen living overseas

Post by andersng » Wed May 19, 2010 7:55 am

John,

I'm very interested in this topic as I didn't realise it was possible to apply for ILE; I've never seen it listed on any of the visa application forms or websites.

I am a UK citizen living overseas (currently Singapore) with my wife and daughter. My wife is a PR China citizen and our 4 year old daughter has a British passport. We have been married and living outside the UK for 11 years; my company has kept me on overseas postings so we haven't had the chance to live in the UK. My wife is now on her second 5 year multi-entry visitor visa for the UK and we are in the UK a couple of times each year.

I recently updated my will and it occured to me that in the event of my death, my wife might have trouble getting a settlement visa for the UK and it would also be difficult for my daughter to settle in China. It would be ideal to get ILE for my wife as we eventually plan to settle in the UK. She could take the KOL test during a visit to the UK.

Could you tell me how my wife should apply for ILE and whether there might be problems getting ILE please?

Thanks very much!

Neil

Thetruthprevials

Post by Thetruthprevials » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 am

John the man:)

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: ILE for spouse of UK citizen living overseas

Post by djb123 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 am

andersng wrote:John,

I'm very interested in this topic as I didn't realise it was possible to apply for ILE; I've never seen it listed on any of the visa application forms or websites.

I am a UK citizen living overseas (currently Singapore) with my wife and daughter. My wife is a PR China citizen and our 4 year old daughter has a British passport. We have been married and living outside the UK for 11 years; my company has kept me on overseas postings so we haven't had the chance to live in the UK. My wife is now on her second 5 year multi-entry visitor visa for the UK and we are in the UK a couple of times each year.

I recently updated my will and it occured to me that in the event of my death, my wife might have trouble getting a settlement visa for the UK and it would also be difficult for my daughter to settle in China. It would be ideal to get ILE for my wife as we eventually plan to settle in the UK. She could take the KOL test during a visit to the UK.

Could you tell me how my wife should apply for ILE and whether there might be problems getting ILE please?

Thanks very much!

Neil
ILE is a settlement visa, so until you are actually going to settle in the UK she is likely to have problems getting it as the ECO will be looking for proof that you are moving back to the UK (eg employment and accommodation in the UK).

pennylessinindia

ILE with new proposals

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed May 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Does anyone know with the changes in the path to citizenship what is proposed to do with ILE :?:

andersng
Newly Registered

Post by andersng » Thu May 20, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks for the quick reply djb123. Is there any other step I could take to increase the chances that my wife can settle in the UK with our daughter in the event of my death please?

Neil

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 am

andersng wrote:Thanks for the quick reply djb123. Is there any other step I could take to increase the chances that my wife can settle in the UK with our daughter in the event of my death please?

Neil
The problem is there might not be any settlement categories she could easily apply for from outside of the UK in the event of your death. Maybe reliant on trying to apply in a non-ideal category (student?) or even outside of the normal rules.

The one thing that often increases the chances of getting a UK visa is having plenty of money which I guess you could ensure they would have.

moma

Post by moma » Sun May 23, 2010 10:25 pm

i thought one could apply for a ILE without taking the KOL they get the visa on condition that when they arrive in the UK they can then apply for it but they i think the visa will state "KOL-req'd"im certain i read it somewhere. please double check but u can get a ILE.

go to the UKBA website and click the policy and law, it might giva u answers u need.the guidance and instrustions section are helpful.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:27 am

moma wrote:i thought one could apply for a ILE without taking the KOL they get the visa on condition that when they arrive in the UK they can then apply for it but they i think the visa will state "KOL-req'd"im certain i read it somewhere. please double check but u can get a ILE.

go to the UKBA website and click the policy and law, it might giva u answers u need.the guidance and instrustions section are helpful.
Not exactly.. John has already stated what would happen if you haven't taken KOL.

"She can apply for a 27-month spouse visa, and point out that the two of you have been married and lived together outside the UK for over 4 years, and thus the visa should be endorsed "KOL REQ". With that visa and endorsement she would then move to the UK, study for the test, and when passed she can apply for ILR, even if it is well before the end of the spouse visa."

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon May 24, 2010 7:38 am

djb123 wrote:"She can apply for a 27-month spouse visa, and point out that the two of you have been married and lived together outside the UK for over 4 years, and thus the visa should be endorsed "KOL REQ". With that visa and endorsement she would then move to the UK, study for the test, and when passed she can apply for ILR, even if it is well before the end of the spouse visa."
..and pay the ILR fee, correct? Which wouldn't be required if the KOL test were completed before applying for ILE.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am

Ben wrote:
djb123 wrote:"She can apply for a 27-month spouse visa, and point out that the two of you have been married and lived together outside the UK for over 4 years, and thus the visa should be endorsed "KOL REQ". With that visa and endorsement she would then move to the UK, study for the test, and when passed she can apply for ILR, even if it is well before the end of the spouse visa."
..and pay the ILR fee, correct? Which wouldn't be required if the KOL test were completed before applying for ILE.
Yup. Applying for ILE without KOL is not any cheaper than a normal spouse visa.

(Though obviously fees may go up and getting ILR or it's replacement may get harder)

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon May 24, 2010 8:02 am

djb123 wrote:
Ben wrote:

(Though obviously fees may go up and getting ILR or it's replacement may get harder)
So it's a no-brainer that, in the case of spouses of British citizens married for four years or more, they should complete the KOL test on a visit to the UK, prior to applying for ILE visa, yes?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:14 am

Ben wrote:
djb123 wrote:
Ben wrote:

So it's a no-brainer that, in the case of spouses of British citizens married for four years or more, they should complete the KOL test on a visit to the UK, prior to applying for ILE visa, yes?
Yes, assuming they were going to visit the UK anyway it would be daft not to.