ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa (Evidence for Contract Employment)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Spouse visa (Evidence for Contract Employment)

Post by jamesmad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi,
I needed time off from work so I have been out work for around 4 months. Now I am considering contract work rather than starting permanent employment. I may start with 2/3 month contract soon. It is anticipated that my client will pay on weekly basis.

As I am planning to apply for my spouse (wife) visa in about 2 months time, I have following questions:

1. From the visa perspective, would it be better to get paid through an umbrella company or my own limited company ? Since I am new to contracting, I will need to setup my limited company (no previous history)

2. What documents do I need to provide with the visa application, for each option above? How many months should be covered for bank statements or weekly wage slips? I may just have 2 months wage slips.

3. I may not have any proof for another contract after initial 2/3 month contract. Will that be a problem? I intend to apply for my wife's visa in 2 months time.

4. To support her application, I can also provide my last three P60 from permanent employment and decent savings in my bank account. Would that help to prove my financial stability?

I am not sure how other members have achieved a successful outcome in similar circumstances. Appreciate your comments.

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi,
I appreciate if I can get some insight from the learned member as the clock is ticking toward the application time.

batleykhan

Re: Spouse visa (Evidence for Contract Employment)

Post by batleykhan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:16 am

jamesmad wrote:Hi,
I needed time off from work so I have been out work for around 4 months. Now I am considering contract work rather than starting permanent employment. I may start with 2/3 month contract soon. It is anticipated that my client will pay on weekly basis.

As I am planning to apply for my spouse (wife) visa in about 2 months time, I have following questions:

1. From the visa perspective, would it be better to get paid through an umbrella company or my own limited company ? Since I am new to contracting, I will need to setup my limited company (no previous history)

Best and easy to get paid by employer. Its easier and cheaper providing wage slips ( 3 months should suffice) whereas if you are self employed you need accounts from accountant plus confirmations from HMRC(complicated)

2. What documents do I need to provide with the visa application, for each option above? How many months should be covered for bank statements or weekly wage slips? I may just have 2 months wage slips.

Read my post in the link below my name. It will give you a rough idea what docs and evidence you need

3. I may not have any proof for another contract after initial 2/3 month contract. Will that be a problem? I intend to apply for my wife's visa in 2 months time.

Yes it could be if by the time they look at your application they decide to make inquiries with your employers( yes they do that)and find you are not employed. however the risk of this happening is small

4. To support her application, I can also provide my last three P60 from permanent employment and decent savings in my bank account. Would that help to prove my financial stability?

Yes they should help,but they will make the decision on your current sittuation and not your past.

I am not sure how other members have achieved a successful outcome in similar circumstances. Appreciate your comments.

Most people succeed if all docs are proper and in order.

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks BatleyKhan for your comments in red. Your link provides comprehensive information about the application. Some specific information:

The wedding reception is being planned for end of November (Nikahofied so far), so I am hoping that we can apply for her visa in early/mid September to allow 3 months for processing. The aim is to discuss with fellow members to make sure that I don't leave anything loose-ended in the application.

Since I had taken time off for last 4-5 months, my questions are specific to the financial aspects (Wage slips and bank statements) of the sponsor. I expect to have a clear indication of the contract payment arrangments (Weekly/Monthly) by the end of next week. You are right, I am also thinking to keep it simple through an umbrella company until I sort out this visa stuff.

1. It's a 3 month contact starting in Early July. The contract rate is prettyu good. Now if the client insists in have monthly payment, then I shall have only 2 wage slips (invoices) by mid september. Would that be a problem?
I read in the above link that 3 monthly or 6 weekly wage slips should be sufficient. That's why I am going to, at least, try if I can get weekly payment.

2. Do you know if Umbrella company employment reference letters are acceptable for visa purposes? I have a direct contract with the client and I am going to bring in the umbrella company for payment/tax stuff only. Not really my employer?

3. Also, I thought that the BIA case worker (if the applications are sent here?) should know how contractor market works and there can be a legitimate bench period before I can start a new contract or I may find a permie role again. It should be evident that my contract pays way above the permie role anyway. In that case will they hold any umbrella company reference check against me?

Is it worth explaining the contractor status in a short covering letter?

4. Bank statements: If I apply in September, I should provide statements from March to August/early Septemeber (6 months). Hopefully I will have 2 (monthly) or few (weekly) payments in my statements for July-Aug as per to the wage slips. For the previous months, I just have one employment transaction for the last year's bonus payment. In total I should be able to show a balance of ca 20k. Do you think, the above can satisfy the ECO for my financial standing?

I know my post is bit long, but that's the best way to ensure that there is no surprise at the end. Do you think I can satisy ECO with the financial evidence above?. Please share your comments/insight

Many thanks.

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:47 pm

BatleyKhan et al, Appreciate your reply.

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi there,
I am getting paid weekly in my contract through an umbrella company. I have already finished my first week.

Can you guys answer to my questions please?

Thanks,
-hammad.

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi, Pls take a look on my document list I intend to provide for the spouse visa of my wife. As I mentioned in my earlier post in this topic that I started work in early July so I will only have 6 pay slips by the time we apply. I am going to explain as to why I was't working for few months prior to this job.

I receive pay slips as pdf documents. I am going to take the print those files for submission. Is that OK or I should ask my umbrella company to provide hard copies with confirmation in a letter for the payments received.

List of Documents

1. VAF4a form and 2 Photographs
2. Applicant’s Passports (2)
3. Tuberculosis Certificate
4. Certified copy of Sponsor’s Passport
5. Sponsor Letter

6. Nikah Nama (Marriage) Certificate in Urdu
7. Certified Translated Copy of Marriage Certificate.
8. Wedding Photographs (20)
9. Phone logs from Sponsor’s phone, showing calls made to Pakistan.
10. Receipt for the money transfer to Pakistan (Supplied by Sponsor)

11. Sponsor’s Bank statements (6 months)
12. Sponsor’s Weekly wage slips (6 weekly slips)
13. Sponsor’s Employment reference/Confirmation letter
14. Sponsor’s P60 for tax year 2008-2009 and 9 month employment earnings for tax year 2009-2010

15. Sponsor’s Tenancy Agreement

Note: All documents are provided in original, except the sponsor's passport which is supplied as a certified copy.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:42 am

Yes the documents are all fine.You may need to get your wage slips certified as being genuine by your emplpyers if you are going to print them of in pdf format.

Other than that you should be ok. Good luck :wink:

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Yes, I am going to ask for hard copies or get them to certify (stamp with a letter confirming the payments received.

Thanks Batleykhan, it's finally good to see your response ;), and even better to see that my document list looks alright.

What do you think about submitting 6 "weekly" wageslips as I just started in 01July? Am I exposed to risk there?

BTW, what should I make sure that it's written on the reference letter other than following:

Job title, monthly (Annual) salary, NI number, Payment frequency(weekly), start date.. couple of lines about the company and myself. I don't think, it needs to mention about my contract/daily rate/client.

Cheers