ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) - Category F

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gaurjai

FLR(M) - Category F

Post by gaurjai » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:30 am

Hi,

I am applied for my wife's spouse visa extension under category F. I am director of limited company and completed one year of accounts and paid due corporation tax.

I am arranging all the required documents:
1. Accounts
2. Tax return CT600
3. Payslips and P60
4. dividend vouchers
5. VAT and company registration

But I am confused about my self-assessment. Below is the note from FM-SE. In this note, they say self assessment tax return is required if sponsor is a sole trader, a partner or in a franchise. It doesn't say anything about director of limited company.

Anyone who has been in similar boat/experience. Should I do self assessment return also? OR that's not required? Please advise. thanks

The evidence submitted must cover the relevant financial year(s) most recently ended. A self-assessment tax return may include provisional figures, where the return explains why this is so and how the figures were arrived at, and in which case a covering letter explaining this and how any provisional figures tie in with other material submitted, e.g. audited or unaudited accounts, may be helpful. This means that a sponsor wishing to rely on earnings from self-employment as a sole trader, as a partner or in a franchise will need to arrange to file their self assessment tax return to HMRC on a timescale geared to meeting this requirement of the Immigration Rules rather than the deadline set for UK tax purposes.

Mojohnson
Pakistan

Re: FLR(M) - Category F

Post by Mojohnson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:43 pm

I didn't include my self assessment (for initial spouse visa) - just limited company documents that you have listed.
I'm assuming it's the same for the extension.

estirichy

Post by estirichy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi gauraj

I was recently in ur position, as a director I sent of all the doc under appendix fm se section 9, I also added my self assesment( big mistake), the caseworker said the self assesment wasnt from the previous financial year so my wifr didnt meet the financial requirement thereby only granting leave under the 10yr route. So please do add personal self assesment to the documents as a rookie caseworker will make the error in using that against u,
Also write a cover letter explaining you financial situation, as a director and how you payself dividrnd and salary. Explain what your financial year is to the caseworker ie the company's accounting period which correspond to the ct600 and accounts you will submit.

Remember self assesment is only for sole traders, partners and franchise, ir not, your a sole director

All the best

gaurjai

Post by gaurjai » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:23 am

Mojohnson wrote:I didn't include my self assessment (for initial spouse visa) - just limited company documents that you have listed.
I'm assuming it's the same for the extension.
Thanks

gaurjai

Post by gaurjai » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:29 am

estirichy wrote:Hi gauraj

I was recently in ur position, as a director I sent of all the doc under appendix fm se section 9, I also added my self assesment( big mistake), the caseworker said the self assesment wasnt from the previous financial year so my wifr didnt meet the financial requirement thereby only granting leave under the 10yr route. So please do add personal self assesment to the documents as a rookie caseworker will make the error in using that against u,
Also write a cover letter explaining you financial situation, as a director and how you payself dividrnd and salary. Explain what your financial year is to the caseworker ie the company's accounting period which correspond to the ct600 and accounts you will submit.

Remember self assesment is only for sole traders, partners and franchise, ir not, your a sole director

All the best
Ohh dear, what a mess they made.

thanks for the tip. But I am confused. You are saying you added self assessment and they made a mess of application. But then you are saying "please do add personal self assessment" I think you mean don't add personal self assessment. Right, please confirm??

To give you bit of my details:

Company tax year is Mar-15 to Feb-16 and all the accounts done and due corporation tax is paid.
Then I was planning to do self assessment for 2015-16 year and add it with the application. Even if I do, then this self assessment will be of previous financial year. So not sure what the issue is?

Which financial year self assessment you added? Was it not that just completed? OR was it prior to that?

Thanks

estirichy

Post by estirichy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:40 am

Hi

Sorry that was a typo, to confirm
Self assesment is NOT a requirement for directors of limited companies, so DONT add it.....

My company year was aug 14 - jul 15, at the time of application in may 16 this was my most recently ended financial year, my self assesment which was added was for april 14- march 15, because the one for april 15 - march 16 hasnt even been completed, so i think this is what confused the caseworker

Your self assesment as u say is for april 15- march 16 so it shouldnt be a big deal i guess....
Just make sure u submit all the required docs under section 9 of apendix fm se...
I believe u will also have to add evidence of ongoing employment to date, which will be your payslips and dividend vouchers form march 16 to tje month in which u will apply...

I have argued my case through PAP so am waiting to see what hapens...

gaurjai

Post by gaurjai » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks.

I think that's what confused caseworker. You submitted in May16 and added 2014-15 self assessment and he thought it was of previous year. May be he wanted to see 2015-16 self assessment as that year just finished in Apr16.

Basically that was my query if you see my 1st post whether self-assessment is required for director of limited company as it's not mentioned anywhere. It's mentioned for sole trader, partner only.

For ongoing employment, I am attaching salary slips from Mar-16 onwards and dividend vouchers taken so far.

Thanks for your quick responses, very helpful.

All the best for your appeal process.

good luck.

Mojohnson
Pakistan

Post by Mojohnson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't know if it applies to your line of work but you can also include a few letters from your clients/employers just indicating that they will be using your services for the foreseeable future ( to prove ongoing employment)- my employer put down the approximate likely salary I was to be paid for the coming year.