ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa refused because of bank statement

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TinaFigs
Newly Registered
Iraq

Visa refused because of bank statement

Post by TinaFigs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am

Hi everyone!

So yesterday, I received a refusal notice. In the notice, it is stated that my visa was refused because even though my mom's bank statement fulfilled the condition of the 28 days, the statement didn't have an evidence of the currency used.
Now here is the thing, I'm currently living in Malaysia as I was a student until June this year and I wanted to continue my studies in the UK because the university I applied to offered me a scholarship.
Anyway, the thing is, since I applied from Malaysia and since my mom's statement was issued by a Malaysian bank (it is stamped with the branch name and the personnel's signature and all), wouldn't it be logical for the ECO to assume that the currency used is MYR? I mean, my dad who also applied for UK visa under the visitor category 3 times, got his visas approved using the exact same format of bank statement!! And the ECO didn't mention anything about this issue.
In addition, when I asked the bank if I can write on the statement the amount equivalent to GBP, the bank informed me that the document will be invalidated. So technically, modifying it for the visa purpose would have been in violation of the bank's TOS.

I was given an option to request an AR but unfortunately, even when I do it, I'm gonna miss my intake (25/09). I've contacted my university and asked for deferral and I've yet to receive a response.
So my question, will the AR do any good?
I feel like the reason for rejection is based on incorrect judgment as my mom's statement has an equivalent amount of 38k GBP and I only need 15k GBP. So my financial condition is technically met and I think I have a valid reason for AR.

What do you guys think? :D

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Visa refused because of bank statement

Post by sah10406 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 pm

TinaFigs wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am
Anyway, the thing is, since I applied from Malaysia and since my mom's statement was issued by a Malaysian bank (it is stamped with the branch name and the personnel's signature and all), wouldn't it be logical for the ECO to assume that the currency used is MYR?
Yes. Neither the Rules or guidance say the currency must be specified. The guidance does say you should note the sterling equivalent (see next answer), but an application cannot be refused on the guidance, only on the Rules.
TinaFigs wrote:
In addition, when I asked the bank if I can write on the statement the amount equivalent to GBP, the bank informed me that the document will be invalidated. So technically, modifying it for the visa purpose would have been in violation of the bank's TOS.
Your bank may be right but the Entry Clearance Officer would not care about that, and indeed the Tier 4 Policy Guidance at paragraph 192 specifically suggests you do that. It says "on the application form" but given that it is a virtual form, it is fine to write it on the statement:

192. If you are using overseas currency, we will expect you to show (in writing on your application form) the closing balance in pounds sterling. We use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website, which can be found at www.oanda.com/convert/classic.
TinaFigs wrote:
I feel like the reason for rejection is based on incorrect judgment as my mom's statement has an equivalent amount of 38k GBP and I only need 15k GBP. So my financial condition is technically met and I think I have a valid reason for AR.
I agree and I'm sure your university will too. They may well be able to give hands-on advice about doing an AR. It is worth doing to remove the refusal from your immigration history (and from the university's record of sponsored refusals), even if you no longer need the visa in question.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

TinaFigs
Newly Registered
Iraq

Post by TinaFigs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:36 am

Thank you sah! You made me feel better about my chances. I'll start writing the AR and send it to my university. Hopefully I get a reply on Monday :D

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:22 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 pm
TinaFigs wrote:
Anyway, the thing is, since I applied from Malaysia and since my mom's statement was issued by a Malaysian bank (it is stamped with the branch name and the personnel's signature and all), wouldn't it be logical for the ECO to assume that the currency used is MYR?
Yes. Neither the Rules or guidance say the currency must be specified. The guidance does say you should note the sterling equivalent (see next answer), but an application cannot be refused on the guidance, only on the Rules.
TinaFigs wrote:
Your bank may be right but the Entry Clearance Officer would not care about that, and indeed the Tier 4 Policy Guidance at paragraph 192 specifically suggests you do that. It says "on the application form" but given that it is a virtual form, it is fine to write it on the statement:

192. If you are using overseas currency, we will expect you to show (in writing on your application form) the closing balance in pounds sterling. We use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website, which can be found at www.oanda.com/convert/classic.
TinaFigs wrote:
I agree and I'm sure your university will too. They may well be able to give hands-on advice about doing an AR. It is worth doing to remove the refusal from your immigration history (and from the university's record of sponsored refusals), even if you no longer need the visa in question.
Guys pls answer this. When is your last date of 28 days rule bank statement?? Apply online day/ appoinment day? Me the apply online day and NOW IM SO WORRIED cos some ppl made it to the appointment day. Pls advise. Will I get rejected

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Chischis12 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:22 pm
When is your last date of 28 days rule bank statement?? Apply online day/ appoinment day?
The date of application or any day up to 31 days before the date of application.
Chischis12 wrote:
Me the apply online day and NOW IM SO WORRIED cos some ppl made it to the appointment day.
It is they who should be worried. Their visa will be refused.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:31 pm
Chischis12 wrote:
When is your last date of 28 days rule bank statement?? Apply online day/ appoinment day?
The date of application or any day up to 31 days before the date of application.
Chischis12 wrote:
Me the apply online day and NOW IM SO WORRIED cos some ppl made it to the appointment day.
It is they who should be worried. Their visa will be refused.
Have you ever met some people who get accepted because they use the 31 days before application online???

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Date of application = applied online right????

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Chischis12 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 pm
Have you ever met some people who get accepted because they use the 31 days before application online???
Of course. The closing balance (day 28) can be anything from zero to 31 days old. See Immigration Rules Appendix C, paragraph 1A(h):

(h) the end date of the ... 28-day periods will be taken as the date of the closing balance on the most recent of the specified documents ... and must be no earlier than 31 days before the date of application.
Chischis12 wrote:
See Immigration Rules, para 34G:

34G. For the purposes of these rules, the date on which an application ... is made is:
(iv) where the application is made via the online application process, the date on which the online application is submitted whether or not a subsequent appointment is made at a Home Office premium service centre.

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 pm
Chischis12 wrote:
Of course. The closing balance (day 28) can be anything from zero to 31 days old. See Immigration Rules Appendix C, paragraph 1A(h):

(h) the end date of the ... 28-day periods will be taken as the date of the closing balance on the most recent of the specified documents ... and must be no earlier than 31 days before the date of application.
Chischis12 wrote:
See Immigration Rules, para 34G:

34G. For the purposes of these rules, the date on which an application ... is made is:
(iv) where the application is made via the online application process, the date on which the online application is submitted whether or not a subsequent appointment is made at a Home Office premium service centre.
My banks statements stop on 21st july and i did the application online on 24th july. Is this huge problem?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Chischis12 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm
My banks statements stop on 21st july and i did the application online on 24th july. Is this huge problem?
Pleased read my first reply again!
sah10406 wrote:
The closing balance (day 28) can be anything from zero to 31 days old. See Immigration Rules Appendix C, paragraph 1A(h):

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm
Chischis12 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm
Pleased read my first reply again!
sah10406 wrote:
The closing balance (day 28) can be anything from zero to 31 days old. See Immigration Rules Appendix C, paragraph 1A(h):

I read that but still didn't get it. I should be worried now right? :'(

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Chischis12 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm
I should be worried now right? :'(
Worried about what? The closing balance can be dated on the day you apply, or up to 31 days before the date you apply. Yours was dated 3 days before the date you applied. How is that something to be worried about, when it is well within the 31 day limit?

Given your concern and confusion, perhaps it is best if you get one-to-one advice from the international student adviser at your Tier 4 sponsor.

Sam1990
Nepal

Post by Sam1990 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm

TinaFigs wrote:
Hi everyone!

So yesterday, I received a refusal notice. In the notice, it is stated that my visa was refused because even though my mom's bank statement fulfilled the condition of the 28 days, the statement didn't have an evidence of the currency used.
Now here is the thing, I'm currently living in Malaysia as I was a student until June this year and I wanted to continue my studies in the UK because the university I applied to offered me a scholarship.
Anyway, the thing is, since I applied from Malaysia and since my mom's statement was issued by a Malaysian bank (it is stamped with the branch name and the personnel's signature and all), wouldn't it be logical for the ECO to assume that the currency used is MYR? I mean, my dad who also applied for UK visa under the visitor category 3 times, got his visas approved using the exact same format of bank statement!! And the ECO didn't mention anything about this issue.

I was given an option to request an AR but unfortunately, even when I do it, I'm gonna miss my intake (25/09). I've contacted my university and asked for deferral and I've yet to receive a response.

Sorry to hear about the refusal..btw did you receive your IHS refund?

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Sam1990 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm
TinaFigs wrote:
Hi everyone!

How do you know if your ihs is refunded?

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 pm
TinaFigs wrote:
TinaFigs wrote:

TinaFigs wrote:
Please help me, I got told by embassy that my cas has been decided 2 days back yet I still haven't received any "decision" or collection mail until now. Is it a refusal sign? :(

Sam1990
Nepal

Post by Sam1990 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Chischis12 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:52 pm
Sam1990 wrote:
TinaFigs wrote:
Hi everyone!

Well the refund is normally made to the card you paid your IHS with.

Chischis12
Indonesia

Post by Chischis12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Sam1990 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm
Chischis12 wrote:
Sam1990 wrote:
TinaFigs wrote:
Hi everyone!

Did you get the ihs refund??

Sam1990
Nepal

Post by Sam1990 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Chischis12 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:48 pm
Sam1990 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm
Chischis12 wrote:
Sam1990 wrote:

Did you get the ihs refund??
No

TinaFigs
Newly Registered
Iraq

Post by TinaFigs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 am

I still haven't received it yet. Supposedly, you should expect to get it back within 90 days.
So if you apply again, you'll need to pay even if your first IHS has not been returned yet.