ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

KasMac
South Africa

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by KasMac » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 pm

no probs , apologies , will use this forum to communicate :)

jaffictram
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jaffictram » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm

KasMac wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 pm
Thank you KasMac (thanks CR001)

How long did it take to complete this in South Africa?

I have been trying getting him here on Visitor Visa and applying from here but because he is not working he can't get a 6 month visa. Been refused twice. Which is crazy in my eyes, because he is eligible to come no matter. I haven't seen him for a few years and he is anxious to see me.

Today I called Citizenship advise and they said he is allowed to apply over here on a visitor visa, as long as if the visa runs out, his UKF application has already been submitted.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:20 pm

jaffictram wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm
KasMac wrote:

I have been trying getting him here on Visitor Visa and applying from here but because he is not working he can't get a 6 month visa. Been refused twice. Which is crazy in my eyes, because he is eligible to come no matter. I haven't seen him for a few years and he is anxious to see me.

Today I called Citizenship advise and they said he is allowed to apply over here on a visitor visa, as long as if the visa runs out, his UKF application has already been submitted.
He won't qualify for a visitor visa if he does not show evidence of strong social, financial, employment, family ties in South Africa. Unfortunately due to years of abuse of the visitor visa, UKVI scrutinises them heavily now.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bummiey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Bummiey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Jamesthurston70 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am
Bummiey wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:30 pm
Hello everyone, I applied for citizenship via form UKF from Nigeria. Thanks to all for sharing their timelines, here is mine so far:

06/02/18 Application sent from Nigeria via DHL
09/02/18 Application received and signed for at Liverpool
21/02/18 Ceremony fee of £80 taken
22/02/18 Application acknowledged email
22/02/18 Biometric Enrolment Letter sent, dated same day
26/02/18 Appointment booked
06/03/18 Biometric Enrolment appointment confirmation sent via email
08/03/18 Biometrics taken
04/05/18 Email sent acknowledging receipt of Naturalization certificate in Nigeria
07/05/18 Call from Vice Consul concerning citizenship ceremony, I requested change of location for the ceremony (from Abuja to Lagos)

Still awaiting ceremony date and time.
Pls did u get ur British passport after the ceremony at the embassy?

Hi Jamesthurston70, no I would still have to apply for a British Passport separately. They specifically told me that they do not issue Passports as they only issued from Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) in the UK.

There's a thread for British Passport application timeline if you'd want to check it out british-citizenship/british-passport-ap ... 80618.html

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:45 pm

jaffictram wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm
KasMac wrote:

My son's application was received in Liverpool at the end of March and we are still waiting, Home Office advised 6 months but then you also need to wait for citizenship ceremony and that can also add some time , my son is a minor so he doesn't need ceremony. British High Commission only does them every 2-3 months when they have enough people to do a combined one for everybody
Last edited by KasMac on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Bummiey wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm
Jamesthurston70 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am
Bummiey wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:30 pm
Hello everyone, I applied for citizenship via form UKF from Nigeria. Thanks to all for sharing their timelines, here is mine so far:

06/02/18 Application sent from Nigeria via DHL
09/02/18 Application received and signed for at Liverpool
21/02/18 Ceremony fee of £80 taken
22/02/18 Application acknowledged email
22/02/18 Biometric Enrolment Letter sent, dated same day
26/02/18 Appointment booked
06/03/18 Biometric Enrolment appointment confirmation sent via email
08/03/18 Biometrics taken
04/05/18 Email sent acknowledging receipt of Naturalization certificate in Nigeria
07/05/18 Call from Vice Consul concerning citizenship ceremony, I requested change of location for the ceremony (from Abuja to Lagos)

Still awaiting ceremony date and time.
Pls did u get ur British passport after the ceremony at the embassy?

Hi Jamesthurston70, no I would still have to apply for a British Passport separately. They specifically told me that they do not issue Passports as they only issued from Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) in the UK.

There's a thread for British Passport application timeline if you'd want to check it out british-citizenship/british-passport-ap ... 80618.html

Thats correct , he can only apply for his passport once he has completed his Citizenship ceremony at which he will be handed his Registration certificate ( he needs to use it for his Passport Application ), First Passport Application can take up to 6 weeks ( you make online application , pay fee , print the application and send via courier to the UK with all the supporting documents , they will courier passport and documents back in 2 separate parcels for security reasons

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

list of supporting documents ;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ts-group-3

Spyro888
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Spyro888 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am

Hi all,

Seems like the most active UKF thread so I'll post a quick query.

Two questions really.

1. Can I include my father's (also based in South Africa like me) valid (i.e. not expired) British passport in the application? He can't seem to find his birth certificate anywhere.

2. Obviously the HO needs originals, but I'm just concerned as to how to get my documents back from the UK? I see you can enclose a Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope but obviously I am not in the UK and also worried about the South African post which is notoriously unreliable and known for losing mail. Is there a way to get the HO to DHL/FedEx it back to me when they are done with the documents?

Thanks, really appreciate it!

Spyro888
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Spyro888 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:29 am

Spyro888 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am
Hi all,

Two questions really.

1. Can I include my father's (also based in South Africa like me) valid (i.e. not expired) British passport in the application? He can't seem to find his birth certificate anywhere.

2. Obviously the HO needs originals, but I'm just concerned as to how to get my documents back from the UK? I see you can enclose a Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope but obviously I am not in the UK and also worried about the South African post which is notoriously unreliable and known for losing mail. Is there a way to get the HO to DHL/FedEx it back to me when they are done with the documents?

Anyone? :)

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Spyro888 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am
Hi all,

Two questions really.

1. Can I include my father's (also based in South Africa like me) valid (i.e. not expired) British passport in the application? He can't seem to find his birth certificate anywhere. you need to include his birth certificate , he can easily order new birth certificate from https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate

2. Obviously the HO needs originals, but I'm just concerned as to how to get my documents back from the UK? I see you can enclose a Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope but obviously I am not in the UK and also worried about the South African post which is notoriously unreliable and known for losing mail. Is there a way to get the HO to DHL/FedEx it back to me when they are done with the documents? i have used my sister address in the Uk for Home Office to return all my documents to , just added covering letter explaining that South African Postal Service is unreliable , in my application i have included 2 big envelopes addressed to my sister and a copy of her utility bill and a copy of her British passport. If you perhaps have a trusted friend or a family member that can assist , get them to send the documents there and then you can order DHL to collect and courier to SA

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm so glad I've found this amazing forum, it's hard to find information on the UKF application.

I'd like to ask you for some advice.

I was born in the UK in 1988 from a British father and an Italian mother, not married.

I've got the following supporting documents:
  • My english birth certificate;
    My father's expired passport (as well as all the previous expired ones);
    My father's registration certificate (he was born in SA and later applied for registration).
I'm thinking of going to London soon and use the new NCS service (they check if your application is formally correct, take certified copies of your documents and send it directly to the HO), that can be booked in each Borough.

I've still got some doubts on how to fill the form though, and more specifically:
  • do I need to provide my grandparents' details? I think they aren't necessary, given the supporting documents, and I really don't know where to find them, as my father unfortunately passed away years ago;
    do I need to bring also my father's death certificate?;
    will my accountant and a lawyer (a colleague of mine), both Italian, be ok as referees?;
    can you write outside the boxes (I need to write my mobile's country code and the boxes aren't enough)?;
    the types of employment status are different from the Italian ones, and I don't know to which I belong (I'm a lawyer working at a law firm, but I'm not a partner nor an associate, in fact I issue an invoice to the firm each month for my services);
    "Address of tax office or tax office reference", I really can't find an Italian equivalent for this, should I just write the address of the Revenue Agency's office in the city in which I reside?
If anyone could help me shed some light on such questions I'd be extremely thankful! :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:16 pm
Hi everybody!

I'm so glad I've found this amazing forum, it's hard to find information on the UKF application.

I'd like to ask you for some advice.

I was born in the UK in 1988 from a British father and an Italian mother, not married.

I've got the following supporting documents:
  • My english birth certificate;
    My father's expired passport (as well as all the previous expired ones);
    My father's registration certificate (he was born in SA and later applied for registration).
I'm thinking of going to London soon and use the new NCS service (they check if your application is formally correct, take certified copies of your documents and send it directly to the HO), that can be booked in each Borough.

I've still got some doubts on how to fill the form though, and more specifically:
  • do I need to provide my grandparents' details? I think they aren't necessary, given the supporting documents, and I really don't know where to find them, as my father unfortunately passed away years ago;
    do I need to bring also my father's death certificate?;
    will my accountant and a lawyer (a colleague of mine), both Italian, be ok as referees?;
    can you write outside the boxes (I need to write my mobile's country code and the boxes aren't enough)?;
    the types of employment status are different from the Italian ones, and I don't know to which I belong (I'm a lawyer working at a law firm, but I'm not a partner nor an associate, in fact I issue an invoice to the firm each month for my services);
    "Address of tax office or tax office reference", I really can't find an Italian equivalent for this, should I just write the address of the Revenue Agency's office in the city in which I reside?
If anyone could help me shed some light on such questions I'd be extremely thankful! :)
What year did your father become British?

As far as I am aware, ncs is not available for UKF and UKM applications as Jo want to see and verify the original documents themselves.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm

I'll check this evening, after 1949 in any case.

I attach the answer received from the Borough of Kensington:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding booking an appointment to use the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) at the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Please note that NCS can only be used for manual applications, and can no longer be accompanied by a joint citizenship and passport application.

Yes, nationality checking service can be used for UKF applications.

You can check availability and book an appointment here: https://s12.sishost.co.uk/KC/Agenda/Onl ... ppointment

These forms and guidance notes can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

We are authorised to check your application, and photocopy and certify your original documents, and send them to the Home Office for consideration by special (next day) delivery. This means that you can retain your passport and other documents after the appointment.

We regret that we cannot give immigration advice.

The fee is £85 for adult applications, and £42 for child applications.

In order to secure your appointment, we ask you to pay the fee up front as a non-refundable booking fee. To book, or to enquire about the next availability date, please call us on 0207 361 4100.

Further information about NCS can be found here: www.rbkc.gov.uk/ncs

We look forward to hearing from you.

Registrar
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea

Kensington and Chelsea Register Office
Chelsea Old Town Hall, King's Road, London SW3 5EE

Tel: 020 7361 4100 | Fax: 020 7361 4054 | www.rbkc.gov.uk/registrars

Our Values
Productive | Ambitious | Collaborative | Enterprising"

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Page 16 and 17 of the guidance notes clearly state copies are not accepted, originals must be sent and postal applications only.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... h_2017.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Yes, this is way they are going to make certified copies and send them to the home office together with the application, it's all written in the email...

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 pm
Yes, this is way they are going to make certified copies and send them to the home office together with the application, it's all written in the email...
even certified copies will be rejected , it has to be original documents

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 pm
UKF is completely different process NCS is normally used for those wanting to naturalise after they lived in the Uk for 5 year qualifying period. Your referees need to be British as its clearly written on UKF form , part of the application does require you to fill grandparents details so yes you include these as well ( it makes no difference if your grandparents were not British)

UKF is such easy process , the requirements are very clear , fill the form with bank card details for payment ( citizenship ceremony £80) include your original documents and courier to Liverpool , they will email you back and send a letter to submit biometrics ( digital photo and fingerprints) once accepted you will be invited for citizenship ceremony after thats all done you can apply for your passport

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-ukf

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for your reply, but I really don't get it.
I have an email from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea clearly stating that "Yes, nationality checking service can be used for UKF applications" and that "We are authorised to check your application, and photocopy and certify your original documents, and send them to the Home Office for consideration by special (next day) delivery. This means that you can retain your passport and other documents after the appointment.", so why are you keep saying that it won't work?

I know the UKF guide is clear, but I still have those doubts I mentioned in my first post.

As for my grandparents' details, I can't even remember my paternal grandparents' names, this is why I asked if they were mandatory or not.

As for the referees the guide states that "One referee must be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, .... and that, with regard to the second referee, "If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided they have professional standing in that country, have known you for 3 years and the Consul considers their signature to be acceptable". This is why I asked if an accountant and a lawyer would be considered as acceptable.

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 am

Giacomo378 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 am
Thanks for your reply, but I really don't get it.
I have an email from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea clearly stating that "Yes, nationality checking service can be used for UKF applications" and that "We are authorised to check your application, and photocopy and certify your original documents, and send them to the Home Office for consideration by special (next day) delivery. This means that you can retain your passport and other documents after the appointment.", so why are you keep saying that it won't work?

I know the UKF guide is clear, but I still have those doubts I mentioned in my first post.

As for my grandparents' details, I can't even remember my paternal grandparents' names, this is why I asked if they were mandatory or not.

As for the referees the guide states that "One referee must be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, .... and that, with regard to the second referee, "If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided they have professional standing in that country, have known you for 3 years and the Consul considers their signature to be acceptable". This is why I asked if an accountant and a lawyer would be considered as acceptable.

yes accountant and lawyer are acceptable profession as long as they have known you for the required amount of time

good luck with your application

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:32 am

Thank you!

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 pm

@Giacomo378 - do you plan to go ahead with the NCS for submitting your UKF application ? If so, would you mind updating the forum with the process and if they are accepted ? Thank you

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 pm

Hello all, first off, thank you all (especially CR001 and KasMac) for the advice and information in this forum and also to Antsmall for fighting to change the law that allows us to register. I have a few general questions about filling out the UKF form and would appreciate any advice or guidance. My father was born in Northern Ireland, UK in 1936 and I was born in USA in 1965.

What documents pertaining to my father do I need to send ? I do not have his passport and no chance to get it since he has been dead for many years. All I have is his birth certificate that clearly shows he was born in the UK in 1936. Should I send his death certificate ?

I read in an earlier post by keji that someone was told that UKF was not the correct option as that person's parents' surnames were the same on their birth certificate and were thus presumed to be married. I am in a similar situation where my mother did not marry my father but did legally change her surname to my father's and so on my birth certificate it shows both parents with the same surname. If I write a note explaining this, will this be sufficient ? Will I need to find a legal document showing my mother's name change ?

In the guide, there is a section named "The requirements you have to meet and the citizenship you will acquire if your application is successful" and it lists 4 requirements, the fourth being "the Secretary of State is satisfied that you are of good character". Below it says "You can meet the fourth requirement above if". Does this mean that I will not need to prove good character since I would meet "You never acquired British subject or CUKC status, but would have automatically done so had your parents been married at the time of your birth (Section 4I of the British Nationality Act 1981)." as my father was born in the UK and I was born before 1983 ? This is very confusing to me.

Do I need to fill in grandparents' information (1.24 - 1.41) if my father was born in the UK and I have his birth certificate showing this ? All I know about them are their names.

Thank you again. Once I start my UKF journey I will be sure to post my experiences.

Beth4025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

UKF Wait Times

Post by Beth4025 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:56 am

Hello! My form UKF was signed for on the 15th of June and I still haven't had any confirmation of letter saying my application has been received? anyone else have to wait this long?

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm

@alanwar Yes i'll go next month and let you know.

Can anybody help me with my doubts (written in my first post) regarding how to fill the employment status, tax office, and grandparents' details? Is my father's death certificate necessary?

Thanks in advance!

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:56 pm

@Giacomo378, good luck with the NCS. I did look at a few of the council websites that specifically mention UKF and they mentioned that they were not processed. Hopefully you will have better luck with the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Here is my opinion on your questions but I really have no expertise about this:

I think the reason for grandparents' information is to help prove that your father was a citizen not by descent and thus eligible for him to pass on citizenship. If you do have enough supporting documentation then I would send that and write a note explaining this. In my case, I only know my grandparents' name but I have my father's birth certificate which states he was born in the UK.

I don't see why you would need a death certificate, I do not plan on sending one for my father.

I also saw on another thread that the Good Character requirement is no longer in effect and so the information about the tax/revenue office probably doesn't matter.

I did read in the UKF guide that if you do not know any British Passport holders then two other people can serve as referees. I intend to use an accountant as one of my own referees.

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by nlworth » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm

@Beth4025 Mine was signed for on the 25th and I still have no email/letter or fee deduction, they do say that part can take between 2 - 4 weeks in busy periods so I'll keep waiting until the 4 weeks is up before I get really worried.
Have you heard anything else yet?

Im just nervous as I am in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa and have now sent the Home Office my passport, birth certificate and BRP so am basically left here with no identification until this is processed!