ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

156Nathan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by 156Nathan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:35 pm

First time poster, but have been watching this forum for a while :D

Application for FBR submitted 14/06/2018.
Documents submitted 15/06/2018.
Tracked (Royal Mail) documents received 16/06/2018 at London Embassy.
15/10/2018 - I emailed London Embassy and asked for a general update was told “Application has recently been sent to Dublin for final processing”

Application was on the basis of Irish born grandparent, the waiting game continues for now.

In relation to what has been mentioned above regarding sending your current Passport off with your Irish Passport Application, I did send an email and received this reply;

“In relation to your query regarding your application, if you are submitting your British passport, you will have to submit the original.

You can request it be returned to you once it has been checked but it would be at the discretion of the checker if it can be returned separately rather than with the Irish passport.”

Hope this helps!

bostonceltics
Newly Registered
England

Post by bostonceltics » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm

156Nathan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:35 pm

15/10/2018 - I emailed London Embassy and asked for a general update was told “Application has recently been sent to Dublin for final processing”

Application was on the basis of Irish born grandparent, the waiting game continues for now.

In relation to what has been mentioned above regarding sending your current Passport off with your Irish Passport Application, I did send an email and received this reply;

“In relation to your query regarding your application, if you are submitting your British passport, you will have to submit the original.

You can request it be returned to you once it has been checked but it would be at the discretion of the checker if it can be returned separately rather than with the Irish passport.”

Hope this helps!
Hi 156Nathan (and everybody posting under FBR)... another first time poster from the UK :D

I am about a month behind you.

Applied online 08/07/2018
Sent Documents to London Embassy 19/07/2018
DFA E-mail acknowledging receipt 20/07/2018

So, I am 3 months in, 3 months to go if they take the whole 6 month timeframe.

Just out of interest, who did you get to witness your documents ?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Being in Boston I got bit happy when I saw “boston Celtics” post.. lol

My witness was a catholic priest.

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm

bostonceltics wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm
156Nathan wrote:

Hope this helps!
Hi 156Nathan (and everybody posting under FBR)... another first time poster from the UK :D

That's interesting!
As I also submitted my application through London Embassy on 16 July 2018 and asked for update on 16 October 2018 and received email today saying they recently sent my file to Dublin for final process. So I am 1 month after yoi. So I will keep an eye on your update so I can get my estimated time. Good luck to everyone.
anyway I get witnessed by the solicitor from London.

Aerlinguist
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aerlinguist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 pm

And the final piece falls into place - I have my Irish passport!! Just picked it up from the consulate in New York. Good luck to all, or should I say 'le gach dea ghui'!!
Aerlinguist wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Hi all,

Here's a timeline for my FBR certificate application.

7 Aug 2017 - application received in London
18 Jan 2018 - Email from Dublin (Consular Division) with a question over discrepancy with grand-mother's birth dates (Birth and Death certificates have completely different dates). Phoned Dublin and clarified as best I could, told case was being passed to a 'supervisor' (I started to worry!).
2 Feb 2018 - Emailed 'Foreign.LONDON@dfa.ie' asking for an update. Reply stated that application was in Dublin at an 'advanced stage'.
10 Feb 2018 - Received large envelope from Dublin with my FBR certificate, a passport application form, and all my original documents (the certificate shows me entered on the FBR on Jan 18th).
14 Feb 2018 - Watched 'The Wind that Shakes the Barley' in a totally new light.

Sincere thanks to everyone who has posted on this board over the last few months, I've been an avid reader and gained a lot of comfort knowing I wasn't alone. Good luck to all!

dmf90
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by dmf90 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 pm

156Nathan wrote:

Hope this helps!
Just regarding having to send off your passport with your application, I submitted my passport application at Liverpool Post Office using the Passport Express last week and did not submit my UK passport. I submitted a certified copy of my UK driving licence as mentioned on APS2 application form for Great Britain citizens.

The APS2 application form for 1st time adult applications states the following documents are required:

- Original Long Form Birth Certificate
- Original Civil Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Proof of entitlement to Irish citizenship if born abroad
- Photo Identification: e.g. Driving licence (a certified copy of your driving licence will suffice if certified by the same person who witnessed your application form), National identify card, college identification, passport from another country.
- Proof of Name: such as payslips, tax documents, college registration, etc.
- Proof of Address: such as utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence etc.

I did bring along my passport but the Post Office clerk said it's not needed with the certified driving licence. It's worth adding,I haven't viewed any other application form so it may well be different for each country :)

bostonceltics
Newly Registered
England

Post by bostonceltics » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:12 pm
Being in Boston I got bit happy when I saw “boston Celtics” post.. lol

My witness was a catholic priest.
lol ... just a UK based fan. Just wanted to be different when I was at school when everyone was following Bulls or Lakers around the late 80s early 90s.

Good luck with your application. Looking at the recent posts, It appears US applicants by applying directly to Dublin take 6-8 weeks less than UK counterparts, who go via the London Embassy.

bostonceltics
Newly Registered
England

Post by bostonceltics » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Koolboy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm
bostonceltics wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm
156Nathan wrote:

Hope this helps!

That's interesting!
As I also submitted my application through London Embassy on 16 July 2018 and asked for update on 16 October 2018 and received email today saying they recently sent my file to Dublin for final process. So I am 1 month after yoi. So I will keep an eye on your update so I can get my estimated time. Good luck to everyone.
anyway I get witnessed by the solicitor from London.
Good luck with the final process koolboy.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 am

[quote=Aerlinguist post_id=1695434 time=1540322230 user_id=187137]
I have my Irish passport!! Just picked it up from the consulate in New York.
[quote=Aerlinguist post_id=1600335 time=1519139163 user_id=187137]
Congratulations!

Any idea if the passport is always sent via the consulate where you applied? I sent my application to San Francisco. The tracking site says it was "dispatched" yesterday. I was hoping it would be sent to me from Dublin. But maybe I need to expect a few more days delay waiting for the consulate to mail it to me?

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:31 am

156Nathan wrote:

Thanks for the info! Hopefully this means that you don't necessarily need to submit your British Passport - the "if" being the operative word for my thinking there! :) Did they say you could submit your Driving License instead?

I haven't been able to find a copy of the passport application online anywhere so I imagine it is not an online-available document - guess I'll have to wait until the application form is sent in the mail.

Out of interest, has anyone gone to the Express office in Liverpool and had experience of lead times from there? I'm tempted to do that once the FBR has come through.

156Nathan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by 156Nathan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 am

Hi all,

In regards to a witness for my FBR certificate I was lucky enough to have worked in a Doctors surgery a few years back so had a few Doctors who were willing to witness my application.

Also as someone previously mentioned I should have noted that in regards to the Passport, the application does state that a certified copy of your driving licence will suffice, unfortunately I don’t hold a driving licence so will have to go down the “sending my foreign passport” route. Luckily I don’t have no Christmas get aways planned otherwise that could have delayed the whole process :?

fillio39
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fillio39 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Applied Online: 10/09/2018
Received email confirming receipt: 11/09/2018.

Waiting to hear more. Applied on the basis of Irish grandfather.

Applied through London embassy, I see it is still up to 6 months processing time is this correct? Maybe get the certificate just before Brexit day :D

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:51 pm

fillio39 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm
I see it is still up to 6 months processing time is this correct?
My documents were received in Dublin on April 16th. I received my FBR certificate exactly four months later - August 16th (though I was officially entered in the FBR three weeks earlier on July 26th). Others have received emails confirming their entry in FBR. I did not. My only official notice was when the documents appeared in my mailbox.

When I first started watching this thread in April, six months seemed to be fairly typical. But I think processing is taking less time now. Probably the Brexit/Trump surge is over. :D

Of course, not all applications are the same. I was not asked for any additional information or documents. So if you are confident that your documentation meets the requirements, I would be surprised if you have to wait six months.

I get the impression that if you apply through the British embassy, your documents may be sent there, and then sent to you. If so, there could be some delay due to their workload.

If you are planning to apply for a passport as soon as possible, and sent your FBR to an embassy or consulate, might consider asking them if they will be returning your FBR documents, and if so will they include a passport application. Dublin did not send me one. But based on the advice I got here, I requested a passport application from the consulate. So I was ready to mail that as soon as my FBR documents arrived.

Best of luck for a speedy process!

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:55 pm

fillio39 wrote:
Applied through London embassy, I see it is still up to 6 months processing time is this correct? Maybe get the certificate just before Brexit day :D
As far as I am aware there is still at least a 6 month processing time - at least for applications from the UK.

My application was received in London on the 2nd July. I asked last week if there was any update and was told that they are extremely busy at present and that applications are taking up to 6 months to process. Also that my application will be processed in due course. I take it from this that they have not got round to my application yet.

Hope that helps!

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:55 pm
fillio39 wrote:
As far as I am aware there is still at least a 6 month processing time - at least for applications from the UK.

My application was received in London on the 2nd July. I asked last week if there was any update and was told that they are extremely busy at present and that applications are taking up to 6 months to process. Also that my application will be processed in due course. I take it from this that they have not got round to my application yet.

Hope that helps!
Dear I also applied through London embassy on 16 July 2018 and get response on request that my application has been sent to Dublin for final process. I think it depends on application to application. there is no any apple pie order. Hope for speedy process for all of us.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm

I sent a message via the website inquiry form asking about my application status, no reply. Its been a week, has this happened to anyone else?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm
I sent a message via the website inquiry form asking about my application status, no reply. Its been a week, has this happened to anyone else?
I made the same web status inquiry on 2-July, and receive no response. I must have been in the final stages, because I was entered into the FBR on 26-July. But my only status update was the completed certificate that arrive 16-August

My theory is that applications are assigned to different DFA staff, and depending on who gets yours, yo may or may not hear from them. In the end, you won’t care. But I know how maddening it is not knowing. I think if they haven’t asked you for anything more by now, your app s just in a queue, awaiting its turn. Or even better, maybe it’s in the mail and will show up any day now.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks Tom!

I am hoping that is accurate, but I dont think it is quite in the mail yet. My application was sent fedex and received on 8/20 with the confirmation email being sent on 8/21. I am exactly 10 weeks today, if what I have been reading and assuming all is accurate, Mostly based on US applications being sent to dublin directly (yours included) I should recieve the “congratulations” email in 4 more weeks ( 11/26) if applicable and arrival of FBR certificate and original documents 3 weeks after that (12/17) just before Christmas (a great gift!). I was just hoping to hear news of being in “final stages”.

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 am

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm
I was just hoping to hear news of being in “final stages”.
My documents were received 7/12 and sent for the second stage of processing on 9/27 so yours should be there any day if it isn't already. They indicated that it could take 10-12 weeks. I'm hoping for my paperwork back sometime in November but it's just the waiting game I guess!

In regards to your status inquiry, it did take them a little over a week to email me back after I submitted my request on the website.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 am

Excellent, thank you for posting that!!

In regards to the 2nd stage of processing, how many stages are there? Do you know what is done at each stage?

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am

Koolboy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 pm
Dear I also applied through London embassy on 16 July 2018 and get response on request that my application has been sent to Dublin for final process. I think it depends on application to application. there is no any apple pie order. Hope for speedy process for all of us.
Ah that's good promising news for you koolboy! Fingers crossed mine isn't too far behind yours (even though I applied before you! :))

I think I am going to just keep telling myself that it is (hopefully) coming in December so as not to raise my hopes too much of receiving anything ahead of the 6 month window they are quoting at the moment!
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 am
Excellent, thank you for posting that!!

In regards to the 2nd stage of processing, how many stages are there? Do you know what is done at each stage?
From looking at this thread and peoples experiences it seems there are only two stages - 1) Sending your application and having it confirmed as received by the DFA 2) Being forwarded for final approval

There may be additional "stages" if you receive any further requests for additional information on your application from the DFA (i.e. confirmation of some of the details in submitted documents, such as name changes, birth date discrepancies, etc)

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 am

The curiosity got the best of me. I got up early and callled the FBR in Dublin. I had a nice chat with a lady who answered the phone. I gave her my information including my application number, she put me on hold for a few moments and came back with the news.. my application has not even been opened yet. She went on to explain that the are currently recieving 40-60 applications a day. There are less than 10 people to check the applications and they are also doing other jobs as well, the extra staffing that was once there is no longer. She also told me they are just about to start opening applications that arrived in the beginning of August. I told her that there are some that are posting online that they recieved thier FBR in 4 months, she said that could be true as they did have extra staff but they are gone now. When I asked if she could give me an approximate time, she hesitated and said Not to expect anything before Christmas unless it is a request for additional documentation.

I am hoping she is not accurate!

martharosec
Newly Registered
Mood:
England

Post by martharosec » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to post my FBR waiting period dates for reference as I found this forum very helpful during my wait.

I am a British born citizen living in Canada.

- Sent my application with all documents to Dublin embassy on June 20th
- Request for my parents' marriage/divorce certificate on September 4th
- I sent this document the next day, received confirmation of receipt a few days after that and they said I was in 'stage one' of the process
- Request for 'two recent proofs of address' on October 18th. Sent these 2 days later
- Today (October 30th). Person at the consulate asks me to confirm my address once more over email- I confirm immediately. 20 minutes later I receive an email that said "Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen" and to expect the official document in two to three weeks!

In total, this process took 4 months and 10 days. A real nice surprise as I was expecting not to get this till the year end/early 2019. My advice to anyone would be send any further requested documents as soon as you can and do not let this stress you out - it means they are actively working on your application. Furthermore, follow up - check in to make sure they have received your documents - I've found they reply very quickly and it helps with peace of mind as well as making sure things have got where they've meant to.

Also, if you are seeking citizenship to help with a visa/work permit for elsewhere, start collecting the documents you need for FBR sooner rather than later. I didn't anticipate how long it would take to gather my grandparents, parents and even my various certificates etc - over compensate with time.

DiceDan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DiceDan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 am

Hi all,

This forum has been such a help while applying for FBR and I feel I should provide my time line.

08 May 2018 - Posted Application to London Office
10 May 2018 - Application was received. Email from DFA London.
30 May 2018 - Posted certified copy of passport, was not requested this but realised I never got my copied notarised. Was sent with covering letters as advised when I emailed the dfe.
27th September - Dublin emailed requesting a notarised copy of passport, shortly followed up with another email saying they had my notarised copy after all and application is complete and submitted for final approval. It should take 6 – 8 weeks from now before you receive everything back.
8th - 22nd November - Should be added to register and receive documents back.

Assuming final approval is all ok, I should be an Irish citizen in next few weeks and then time to apply for my passport. Thanks everyone. :D

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:10 pm

martharosec wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 pm
- Request for my parents' marriage/divorce certificate on September 4th

- Request for 'two recent proofs of address' on October 18th. Sent these 2 days later
Did you not include these with your original application documents? DFA states up front that these are required. So, was your original document package incomplete relative to those requirements? Or did DFA have some issue with some of the documents you originally provided?

I am not intending to be snarky. But most people here are wondering about the status and progress of their own applications, and what could be problematic about the documents they have submitted.