ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Marriage Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

toffeefee
Newly Registered
Sweden

No Marriage Certificate

Post by toffeefee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi I am an EU citizen with over 12 months settled status and applying for registration of my child under 18 as a British citizen, form MN1. I am the mother.

The application says I need to provide documentation of 'parents' marriage certificate' but I cannot provide this at all.

Will my application still be considered if I explained this in a cover letter? I have a birth certificate with both parents names and all the other documents required - just no marriage certificate! I would greately appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: No Marriage Certificate

Post by bizman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:17 pm

It depends on what happened to the marriage certificate. For example if it was lost or mutilated etc. It is expected that you will report a loss and swear an affidavit etc to support the loss.
Bizman

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:11 am

toffeefee wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 pm
Hi I am an EU citizen with over 12 months settled status and applying for registration of my child under 18 as a British citizen, form MN1. I am the mother.

The application says I need to provide documentation of 'parents' marriage certificate' but I cannot provide this at all.

Will my application still be considered if I explained this in a cover letter? I have a birth certificate with both parents names and all the other documents required - just no marriage certificate! I would greately appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
Are you registering your child with your partner’s consent? You will need your partner’s consent to proceed or otherwise prove you have sole custody and responsibility of the child.
or do you have an unmarried partner?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

toffeefee
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by toffeefee » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:23 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:11 am
toffeefee wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Are you registering your child with your partner’s consent? You will need your partner’s consent to proceed or otherwise prove you have sole custody and responsibility of the child.
or do you have an unmarried partner?
Thanks for the quick reply CULLIAN. Yes, I am registering my child with my partner's consent and will provide a letter of consent as part of the application. We are married but I do not have a marriage certificate. Only the birth certificate proves that we are parents of my child. I am concerned that the application and fee will be wasted because of lack of marriage certificate as part of the MN1 application.

toffeefee
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by toffeefee » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 pm

bizman wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:17 pm
It depends on what happened to the marriage certificate. For example, if it was lost or mutilated etc. It is expected that you will report a loss and swear an affidavit etc to support the loss.
Thanks bizman, we have only had a ceremonial wedding and never had a marriage certificate. And never needed one for any formal applications until now. I am concerned that the application and fee will be wasted because of lack of marriage certificate as part of the MN1 application.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:52 pm

As long you are the mother applying on child’s behalf, it is not needed.

I am only religiously married in UK. As per UK law I am considered unmarried.
My wife applied MN1 for our daughter. We did not submit any marriage certificate/father’s documents (myself) and had no issues.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

toffeefee
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by toffeefee » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:52 pm
As long you are the mother applying on child’s behalf, it is not needed.

I am only religiously married in UK. As per UK law I am considered unmarried.
My wife applied MN1 for our daughter. We did not submit any marriage certificate/father’s documents (myself) and had no issues.
thanks CULLINAN, I will submit without a marriage certificate.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bizman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am

toffeefee wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 pm
bizman wrote:
It depends on what happened to the marriage certificate. For example, if it was lost or mutilated etc. It is expected that you will report a loss and swear an affidavit etc to support the loss.
Thanks bizman, we have only had a ceremonial wedding and never had a marriage certificate. And never needed one for any formal applications until now. I am concerned that the application and fee will be wasted because of lack of marriage certificate as part of the MN1 application.
I think with a cover letter explaining your circumstance and proof of the fact you are both the parent through the birth certificate and some evidences of leaving together like council tax bill etc showing your names and a consent letter from both of you, you should not have any problem.
Bizman

toffeefee
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by toffeefee » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:07 pm

bizman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am
toffeefee wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 pm
bizman wrote:
I think with a cover letter explaining your circumstance and proof of the fact you are both the parent through the birth certificate and some evidences of leaving together like council tax bill etc showing your names and a consent letter from both of you, you should not have any problem.
thanks very much bizman, i will do that