ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Director of Ltd Company - Not sure if I meet the requirements?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Director of Ltd Company - Not sure if I meet the requirements?

Post by thisisbox » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:37 pm

Hello.

I'm a british citizen and my wife is now going to apply for ILR under the 5-year route.

I plan on using income as a company director (my own company) from the last financial year, but I'm a bit confused on whether I meet the financial requirements. I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

1. I pay myself PAYE and dividends which are over the £18.6k threshold - correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right in saying that I cannot use this to meet the financial requirement; instead I have to use the income from my company?

2. In which case, do I use my company's Gross Profit (£27k) or do I use the Profit Before Tax (£8.5k)?

3. I also have enough cash in my company account to sustain an income for the foreseeable future - will this be considered too?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

albertrw
Newly Registered
England

Re: Director of Ltd Company - Not sure if I meet the requirements?

Post by albertrw » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 pm

You will be assessed on the salary and dividends from the company's last full accounting year, as long as those are over the £18.6k you're ok. Ask your accountant if you're unsure.

The net profit and gross profit are irrelevant, you could have a net loss and still meet the requirement. It's the money paid to you which matters.

Ref point 4 no forecasts are exepcted or assessed.

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:18 pm

albertrw wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 pm
You will be assessed on the salary and dividends from the company's last full accounting year, as long as those are over the £18.6k you're ok. Ask your accountant if you're unsure.

The net profit and gross profit are irrelevant, you could have a net loss and still meet the requirement. It's the money paid to you which matters.

Ref point 4 no forecasts are exepcted or assessed.
Thanks for your reply.

If that's the case, why would they need to see my company accounts?

Also, if my company made £0 or even a loss for the financial year, how would that meet the requirement? Do they not assess directors on their company earnings?

Because if a company doesn't make any money, how would it be able to provide an income for the employee/director?

I'm not disputing what you've said; I'm just trying to understand it correctly because it's a bit confusing to me.

albertrw
Newly Registered
England

Post by albertrw » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:56 pm

Hey :)

Well I’m not an expert on visa applications in general so I am just offering my interpretation! But I am a qualified accountant. I think they want the company tax return to cross reference the directors salary to the tax returns actually filed with HMRC.

Re the other point about losses etc - bear in mind that legally the Ltd Co and you are two separate entities! The question of profit extraction for owner managed businesses is really beyond the scope of the ILR application and not worth worrying about. Loss making companies can pay salaries to their employees , it’s very common. Eventually they will run out of money of course…

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:07 pm

albertrw wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:56 pm
Hey :)

Well I’m not an expert on visa applications in general so I am just offering my interpretation! But I am a qualified accountant. I think they want the company tax return to cross reference the directors salary to the tax returns actually filed with HMRC.

Re the other point about losses etc - bear in mind that legally the Ltd Co and you are two separate entities! The question of profit extraction for owner managed businesses is really beyond the scope of the ILR application and not worth worrying about. Loss making companies can pay salaries to their employees , it’s very common. Eventually they will run out of money of course…
Ok thanks. So providing that I can prove that my PAYE and dividends meet the ILR requirement, I need not worry about how much my company made in the relevant financial year?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:39 am

Have you read the guide ?? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rement.pdf

Checkout the section titled: Director or employee of a specified limited company in the UK – specified evidence

If you are working for your own company, that is called a specified company under the rules. There are very specific documents you need to provide. You can also only apply under category G or F :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:26 am

Zimba wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:39 am
Have you read the guide ?? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf

Checkout the section titled: Director or employee of a specified limited company in the UK – specified evidence

If you are working for your own company, that is called a specified company under the rules. There are very specific documents you need to provide. You can also only apply under category G or F :!:
Hi Zimba, yes I've read the guide thanks.

What I'm not clear about is whether the financial requirement is based on PAYE and dividends OR company earnings.

If it's the latter, then it does not mention if it's gross or net profit for limited companies.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 am

It is based on salary and dividends earned as that is YOUR income. How much money the company made is not relevant for obvious reasons however all company-related evidence must also be submitted (UKVI will use the accounting year of your company for earnings calculations)

Appendix FM-SE paragraph 9 of the rules require evidence of YOUR income for both of those sources:

c) Where the person is either listed as a director of the company, or is an employee of the company, or both, and receives a salary from the company, all of the following documents must also be provided:
(i) Payslips and P60 (if issued) covering the same period as the Company Tax Return CT600.
(ii) Personal bank statements covering the same 12-month period as the Company Tax Return CT600 showing that the salary as a director or employee of the company (or both) was paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

(d) Where the person receives dividends from the company, all of the following documents must also be provided:
(i) Dividend vouchers for all dividends declared in favour of the person during or in respect of the period covered by the Company Tax Return CT600 showing the company’s and the person’s details with the person’s net dividend amount.
(ii) Personal bank statement(s) showing that those dividends were paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... d-evidence
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 am
It is based on salary and dividends earned as that is YOUR income. How much money the company made is not relevant for obvious reasons however all company-related evidence must also be submitted (UKVI will use the accounting year of your company for earnings calculations)

Appendix FM-SE paragraph 9 of the rules require evidence of YOUR income for both of those sources:

c) Where the person is either listed as a director of the company, or is an employee of the company, or both, and receives a salary from the company, all of the following documents must also be provided:
(i) Payslips and P60 (if issued) covering the same period as the Company Tax Return CT600.
(ii) Personal bank statements covering the same 12-month period as the Company Tax Return CT600 showing that the salary as a director or employee of the company (or both) was paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

(d) Where the person receives dividends from the company, all of the following documents must also be provided:
(i) Dividend vouchers for all dividends declared in favour of the person during or in respect of the period covered by the Company Tax Return CT600 showing the company’s and the person’s details with the person’s net dividend amount.
(ii) Personal bank statement(s) showing that those dividends were paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... d-evidence
Ok thanks Zimba, yes I've got all the relevant documents.

My company year was from Dec 2019 to Nov 2020 so I will provide all the relevant documents for these dates.

However, I understand I will need to also provide evidence that I'm still earning since then, so I will give personal bank statements/payslips/dividend vouchers up to the most recent month. But will I also need to give business bank statements to coincide with this?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Yes. Corporate/business bank statements covering the same 12-month period as Company Tax Return CT600

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:13 pm
Yes. Corporate/business bank statements covering the same 12-month period as Company Tax Return CT600
Yes I understand.

But what I meant was - my company financial year runs from Dec 2019 to Nov 2020.

Will I need to give business bank statements BEYOND this date to show that I'm still earning OR will personal bank statements be sufficient?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:48 am

All the evidence will be based on your accounting period, recent bank statements are not needed

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:04 am

Zimba wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:48 am
All the evidence will be based on your accounting period, recent bank statements are not needed
Thanks Zimba, but in regards to this paragraph:

"evidence of ongoing employment as a director or other employee of the company or of ongoing dividend income from the company. This evidence may include payslips (or dividend vouchers) and personal bank statements showing that, in the period since the latest 12-month period covered by the Company Tax Return CT600, the person’s salary (or dividend income from the company) as a director or employee of the company (or both), was paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly."

I would need to provide evidence of ongoing employment such as personal bank statements up until the most recent month. Will I also need to give business bank statements to correspond?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:04 am

I said no.

thisisbox
Newly Registered

Post by thisisbox » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Ok thanks for your help.