ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:55 pm

Valo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm
Anyone able to help?

I'm getting 2 proofs of address and on the FBR website it says 'original'

Does this mean that they have to have been sent out to me? Or can I print it off? Because I am currently on my uni website and they have an application that allows you to generate a 'student status report' confirming your attendance at the uni which also contains my address. Would this be accepted? Because it's pretty much downloaded to your computer instantly when you request it meaning I'd need to print it off.
I also struggled with this since all my bills etc are paperless & get emailed to me. I printed them off but just to be extra sure I also requested a letter from the NHS website to be posted to me to "remind me" what my NHS number was.
(https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online- ... hs-number/)

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:10 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:55 pm
Valo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm
Anyone able to help?

I'm getting 2 proofs of address and on the FBR website it says 'original'

Does this mean that they have to have been sent out to me? Or can I print it off? Because I am currently on my uni website and they have an application that allows you to generate a 'student status report' confirming your attendance at the uni which also contains my address. Would this be accepted? Because it's pretty much downloaded to your computer instantly when you request it meaning I'd need to print it off.
I also struggled with this since all my bills etc are paperless & get emailed to me. I printed them off but just to be extra sure I also requested a letter from the NHS website to be posted to me to "remind me" what my NHS number was.
(https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online- ... hs-number/)
Just managed to request a paper copy of my vaccination status from NHS Scotland so that's one sorted. Just need to request an up-to-date bank statement and then after that all I need is passport photos? Do the Irish have separate requirements for passport photos or can I just walk into any old photo booth down the high street?

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:07 am

Just managed to request a paper copy of my vaccination status from NHS Scotland so that's one sorted. Just need to request an up-to-date bank statement and then after that all I need is passport photos? Do the Irish have separate requirements for passport photos or can I just walk into any old photo booth down the high street?

Valo, the passport photo requirement details are quite specific. I had a hard time in the US because the size is different. There are also background, lighting, image size requirements, etc. Recommend you look carefully at the FBR detail requirements. May be easy for you at a passport photo shop, just specify for Ireland.

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 pm

Hi all,
I’m so glad I’ve found this forum as I really want to get my application submitted but there is one thing that has confused me on the application form.

My grandparents were Irish, but my parents were born in England, and aren’t classed as Irish citizens.

My understanding is I am still entitled to Irish citizenship through my grandparents regardless, but the FBR form implies my parent(s) must be an Irish citizen?

Have I misunderstood, or am I OK to go ahead and apply? €278 is a lot of money if it turns out I'm not eligible!

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bramarcan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 pm
Hi all,
I’m so glad I’ve found this forum as I really want to get my application submitted but there is one thing that has confused me on the application form.

My grandparents were Irish, but my parents were born in England, and aren’t classed as Irish citizens.

My understanding is I am still entitled to Irish citizenship through my grandparents regardless, but the FBR form implies my parent(s) must be an Irish citizen?

Have I misunderstood, or am I OK to go ahead and apply? €278 is a lot of money if it turns out I'm not eligible!
Yes, you're all good to apply. Your parent(s) are automatically Irish citizens if their parents are Irish and born on the island of Ireland. All they would need to do is apply for a passport, as they are Irish citizens already. You would need to get all the paperwork, which is a rigmarole in and of itself, but I'd recommend applying in case they change their policies on foreign births!

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bramarcan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:03 pm

bramarcan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm
All they would need to do is apply for a passport, as they are Irish citizens already. You would need to get all the paperwork, which is a rigmarole in and of itself, but I'd recommend applying in case they change their policies on foreign births!
To clarify, your parents don't need an Irish passport in order for you to apply! I just meant they're entitled to one should they wish to apply.

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bramarcan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:04 pm

bramarcan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm
All they would need to do is apply for a passport, as they are Irish citizens already. You would need to get all the paperwork, which is a rigmarole in and of itself, but I'd recommend applying in case they change their policies on foreign births!
To clarify, your parents don't need an Irish passport in order for you to apply! I just meant they're entitled to one should they wish to apply.

youthinkunoe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by youthinkunoe » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:10 pm

Hello from America I like frogs - I have some insight for you

You're are Eligible and your Parents are citizens of Ireland whether they know it or not

Any person born abroad birthed from a person Born on the island of Ireland is a Citizen of Ireland they do not have to register with the FBR they could just apply for the passport

You have to register with the FBR since your Grandparents are from Ireland

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:21 pm

Guys, thanks so much for the insight and the quick reply. I'm thrilled. I’ve actually just let my parents know and they are both pleasantly surprised.

I do have a couple more questions if I may.

A police officer can certify documents as a true copy of the original, but do you think police (civilians) can do the same? A friend of mine who is police staff can witness my application form, supporting documents, and give me an official stamp, but he’s technically not a police officer.

Will this likely be a problem?

Also, two of the four passport photos need to be witnessed. How are people doing this?

There’s not much space on the back of a passport photo, so I’m not sure how they are expecting a certified as true statement, name, date, signature, official stamp and address etc.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:35 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:21 pm
Guys, thanks so much for the insight and the quick reply. I'm thrilled. I’ve actually just let my parents know and they are both pleasantly surprised.

A police officer can certify documents as a true copy of the original, but do you think police (civilians) can do the same? A friend of mine who is police staff can witness my application form, supporting documents, and give me an official stamp, but he’s technically not a police officer.

Also, two of the four passport photos need to be witnessed. How are people doing this?

There’s not much space on the back of a passport photo, so I’m not sure how they are expecting a certified as true statement, name, date, signature, official stamp and address etc.
I'd say it has to be a police officer not someone employed by police. You can use any on the list besides police officers too....
For photos....yeah...they just have to write small on those photos. I had my witness practice on a sheet of paper with picture sized outlines . He gave me his business card since no stamp as well.
Remember, you'll follow the grandparent by descent to get FBR Your parent's nationality is not relevant. You'll just need their birth cert, marriage cert & ID/death cert.
jgclancy

youthinkunoe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by youthinkunoe » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:

The person you mentioned might work but I would hate for it to get denied over that reason

I can say who ever you get to notarize/certify make sure they do all documents don't get different people to notarize/certify different documents

I used a Notary and had no issues

youthinkunoe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by youthinkunoe » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:

The person you mentioned might work but I would hate for it to get denied over that reason

I can say who ever you get to notarize/certify make sure they do all documents don't get different people to notarize/certify different documents

I used a Notary and had no issues

Kminkoff
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Kminkoff » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi All,

I have a rare case and am polling for opinions.

-Great Grandfather: Born in Ireland

-Grandfather: Born in U.S.

-Father: Born in U.S. Entered into FBR in October of 1986.

-Me: Born in 1981. Applied for FBR in August 2020. Application pending.

Based on the current version of the law, I’m ineligible because my father was entered into FBR 5 years after my birth. However, he was entered into the FBR during a six month transition period when the rules from the 1956 immigration act still applied and before the 1986 act went into effect. Under the 1956 version of the law, his citizenship, though granted in October 1986, was backdated to the day that the 1956 law was passed. Therefore, when I was born in 1981 he was technically a citizen of Ireland (therefore making me eligible for citizenship). The law gets a little complicated during the 1986 transition period, but a close reading of the consolidated version of the law seems to state that anyone who registered between during the transition period (July 1-December 31, 1986), had there date of entry registered as July 1 1986, and furthermore, anyone who was granted citizenship up until the July 1 date, gets their citizenship backdated to either their day of birth or the date that the 1956 law went into effect.

A very close reading of the law indicates that I am eligible, however there is contradictory info on government websites related to eligibility. The DFA website does not mention this “loophole” (if you’d call it that), but the department of justice and equality page does mention it (if you go to the little eligibility pull-down menu and put in the criteria it indicates eligibility).

I prepared my application with a cover letter from an Irish law firm to draw attention to the somewhat rare nature of my application / pointing out the aspects of the law that allows me to be eligible.

So: you think the application will be successful or get rejected? You think it will at least make it to a person that’s qualified to compare it to the very specific letter of the law?

Thanks!

ulysses31
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by ulysses31 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Hello all, I've been following this for a while and thought I'd let you know that my application (receipt of papers acknowledged on 26/11/2019) has today been approved. I'll be watching the letterbox like a hawk for the next few days!

I've entered data on the spreadsheet. It was a very straightforward application in my case but I should have done it when I first enquired way back in 2012. Good luck to those waiting for news...

ulysses31
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by ulysses31 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:06 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:

Whoever certifies & witnesses will have to state their profession and if your friend is not from one of those on the DFA list (the only relevant one being "police officer" in this case) then it could create problems when they check, which you have to assume will happen. Personally, to remain completely within the rules, I'd find somebody else in another category or at least ask the friend if they could arrange 10 minutes with a friendly police officer colleague, i.e. with a valid warrant card.

Get your witness to practise writing small text in a small box on a piece of paper, preferably using a very fine pen that doesn't run, and only then write in the same way on the photos themselves. Remember that photo paper is usually really slippery so them let them dry for plenty of time before putting them in the envelope!

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Kminkoff wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm
Hi All,

Based on the current version of the law, I’m ineligible because my father was entered into FBR 5 years after my birth. However, he was entered into the FBR during a six month transition period when the rules from the 1956 immigration act still applied and before the 1986 act went into effect. Under the 1956 version of the law, his citizenship, though granted in October 1986, was backdated to the day that the 1956 law was passed. Therefore, when I was born in 1981 he was technically a citizen of Ireland (therefore making me eligible for citizenship). The law gets a little complicated during the 1986 transition period, but a close reading of the consolidated version of the law seems to state that anyone who registered between during the transition period (July 1-December 31, 1986), had there date of entry registered as July 1 1986, and furthermore, anyone who was granted citizenship up until the July 1 date, gets their citizenship backdated to either their day of birth or the date that the 1956 law went into effect.

A very close reading of the law indicates that I am eligible, however there is contradictory info on government websites related to eligibility. The DFA website does not mention this “loophole” (if you’d call it that), but the department of justice and equality page does mention it (if you go to the little eligibility pull-down menu and put in the criteria it indicates eligibility).

I prepared my application with a cover letter from an Irish law firm to draw attention to the somewhat rare nature of my application / pointing out the aspects of the law that allows me to be eligible.

So: you think the application will be successful or get rejected? You think it will at least make it to a person that’s qualified to compare it to the very specific letter of the law?

Thanks!
It sounds complicated, and I think the cover letter will help your case, but if not, you do have the right to request a review by a senior official, and then it's likely you'd have the option for judicial review as well (albeit that would probably cost some money) as that would be the default route of appeal where all other avenues are exhausted.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:22 pm

ulysses31 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm
Hello all, I've been following this for a while and thought I'd let you know that my application (receipt of papers acknowledged on 26/11/2019) has today been approved. I'll be watching the letterbox like a hawk for the next few days!

I've entered data on the spreadsheet. It was a very straightforward application in my case but I should have done it when I first enquired way back in 2012. Good luck to those waiting for news...
Congrats!!!

jgclancy

Kminkoff
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Kminkoff » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:48 pm

brainiacghost wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm
Kminkoff wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm
Hi All,

Thanks!
It sounds complicated, and I think the cover letter will help your case, but if not, you do have the right to request a review by a senior official, and then it's likely you'd have the option for judicial review as well (albeit that would probably cost some money) as that would be the default route of appeal where all other avenues are exhausted.
Thanks. I knew about the judicial review (and associated high cost), but I had no idea that a person could request a simple re-review by a senior official. If that means of appeal does exist, it makes me feel much better about my chances of success.

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:07 pm

Kminkoff wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:48 pm
Thanks. I knew about the judicial review (and associated high cost), but I had no idea that a person could request a simple re-review by a senior official. If that means of appeal does exist, it makes me feel much better about my chances of success.
Yes, sorry I forgot to include the link!

Suro
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Suro » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:

Handy tip for anyone with pets - if your Vet does pet passports then they will have a teeny tiny stamp that is just perfect for a passport photo 8)

I got a vet pal to do mine and her tiny stamp was perfect lol!! :D

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 am

Suro wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 pm
ilikefrogs wrote:

Handy tip for anyone with pets - if your Vet does pet passports then they will have a teeny tiny stamp that is just perfect for a passport photo 8)

Interesting idea, Suro, but is a vet on the list of occupations authorized to witness documents? As was said earlier, it's best to get everything witnessed by the same indidual.

JCMD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JCMD » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:05 pm

I have just submitted application form and documents but kicking myself for unbelievable carelessness over checking how my witness worded their statement on photocopy of state-issued id. On the page with copy of passport id the witness has written 'I (name of witness) can certify I have seen a true copy of original document' together with date and witness signature. This differs of course from the guidance to have the id provided as 'certified as a true copy of the original'. I am wondering whether to obtain a correctly worded statement from the same witness and send as a follow up to the main application but concerned this may create its own complications and may be best to leave and see if the FB Registration office see the correctly intended but wrongly worded statement to be acceptable. Grateful for any pointers or previous experience of anything similar?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:12 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 am
Suro wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 pm
ilikefrogs wrote:

Interesting idea, Suro, but is a vet on the list of occupations authorized to witness documents? As was said earlier, it's best to get everything witnessed by the same indidual.
Yes, a veterinarian is on the list of acceptable witnesses......dentists, pharmacists, doctors, nurses too......always read all of the instructions.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:18 pm

JCMD wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:05 pm
I have just submitted application form and documents but kicking myself for unbelievable carelessness over checking how my witness worded their statement on photocopy of state-issued id. On the page with copy of passport id the witness has written 'I (name of witness) can certify I have seen a true copy of original document' together with date and witness signature. This differs of course from the guidance to have the id provided as 'certified as a true copy of the original'. I am wondering whether to obtain a correctly worded statement from the same witness and send as a follow up to the main application but concerned this may create its own complications and may be best to leave and see if the FB Registration office see the correctly intended but wrongly worded statement to be acceptable. Grateful for any pointers or previous experience of anything similar?
I don't see how that would disadvantage you? It would be rather pedantic of them to take issue with that.

TTM78
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTM78 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Hello, first time poster and looking for some advice please.

I've recently received my first Irish passport (born to Irish mother) and now want to register both of my daughters on the FBR. However, the online application asks for my (the parent) Date of foreign births registration and FBR entry number. This has me stumped, as I wasn't ever entered on the FBR myself.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks