ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS -> Citizenship with Covid-related absences

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

odesseyandoracle
Newly Registered
Italy

EUSS -> Citizenship with Covid-related absences

Post by odesseyandoracle » Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm an EU national, I have EUSS for a year now and I am considering applying for naturalisation.

My immigration story is below:

September 2016 - December 2017 / Moved to UK to do my Masters

January 2018 - April 2019 / went back home to care for a sick relative

April 2019 - January 2020 / I was back in the UK and was mostly a jobseeker and freelancer for a bit

January 2020 - January 2021 / I went on a 2-month trip back home, and got stuck out due to COVID-19 and as a person at high risk. I also got sick during spring-summer 2020. Then flight were resumed but I was afraid as a person at high risk and also I was helping my parents. So, basically I spent the 2nd half of this period obsessively trying to rent a private room with online viewings and find a job in order to come back safely. I found a room in November 2020, but I postponed until January on medical advice (surging cases, new variants etc.). In January it was still risky but I travelled anyway.

January 2021 - today / continuously working as a freelancer and now on a permanent full time contract, no further long absences

The big problem is my total absences are 722, 380 of which are from January 2020 - January 2021. If I returned on march as I planned they would be below 450.

I know I can always wait and apply in 2026, but honestly if I have a 50/50 chance now I might go for it. It would be a huge emotional relief utilised this completely lost year of 2020 for something good.

Any odds for this case? Any similar stories with approvals or refusals?

Thank you :)

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: EUSS -> Citizenship with Covid-related absences

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 21, 2024 2:21 pm

odesseyandoracle wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm an EU national, I have EUSS for a year now and I am considering applying for naturalisation.

April 2019 - January 2020 / I was back in the UK and was mostly a jobseeker and freelancer for a bit

January 2020 - January 2021 / I went on a 2-month trip back home, and got stuck out due to COVID-19 and as a person at high risk. I also got sick during spring-summer 2020. Then flight were resumed but I was afraid as a person at high risk and also I was helping my parents. So, basically I spent the 2nd half of this period obsessively trying to rent a private room with online viewings and find a job in order to come back safely. I found a room in November 2020, but I postponed until January on medical advice (surging cases, new variants etc.). In January it was still risky but I travelled anyway.

January 2021 - today / continuously working as a freelancer and now on a permanent full time contract, no further long absences

The big problem is my total absences are 722, 380 of which are from January 2020 - January 2021. If I returned on march as I planned they would be below 450.

I know I can always wait and apply in 2026, but honestly if I have a 50/50 chance now I might go for it. It would be a huge emotional relief utilised this completely lost year of 2020 for something good.

To keep it short and simple, you'd have to wait till 2026. You have to be in country 5 years to the day you apply.

Your absence is also just too much, the COVID story might not fly. Like you've rightly deduced, you could've flown back, but you decided not to for your own safety. Which is fine, it just comes with consequences.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 2:26 pm

odesseyandoracle wrote:
Hi everyone,

We don't have lots of successful cases where members have reported back their covid absences being waived. From your situation, though you were classified as vulnerable, it was not impossible for you to travel once borders reopened (eg you were bedridden or in hospital) so it would likely be seen as you opting not to travel rather than being impossible for you to travel. As you have a long absence in 2018-2019 you also can't evidence you've been here for 7 years rather than 5 and get discretion of your absences that way. I would strongly advise to wait until Jan 2026.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

odesseyandoracle
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by odesseyandoracle » Tue May 21, 2024 2:52 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:26 pm
odesseyandoracle wrote:
Hi everyone,

We don't have lots of successful cases where members have reported back their covid absences being waived. From your situation, though you were classified as vulnerable, it was not impossible for you to travel once borders reopened (eg you were bedridden or in hospital) so it would likely be seen as you opting not to travel rather than being impossible for you to travel. As you have a long absence in 2018-2019 you also can't evidence you've been here for 7 years rather than 5 and get discretion of your absences that way. I would strongly advise to wait until Jan 2026.
That's really disappointing to hear. I thought they'd be a bit more flexible with covid. so not even 50/50 chance :D

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 pm

You travelled 3 months before COVID hit. Before the borders shutdown, you could have come home.

Just being the devils advocate here.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 3:31 pm

odesseyandoracle wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:52 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
odesseyandoracle wrote:
Hi everyone,

That's really disappointing to hear. I thought they'd be a bit more flexible with covid. so not even 50/50 chance :D
They expect you to show it was impossible for you to travel, eg cancelled flight tickets. You stayed way beyond the time that borders reopened so your case would have slim chances.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

odesseyandoracle
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by odesseyandoracle » Tue May 21, 2024 3:33 pm

You are absolutely right, they might view it like I could have travelled back even though the risks since I was able. So you'd say there's absolutely no chance they'd view it in my favour?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 3:43 pm

I wouldn't have high hopes. At the end of the day it is an expensive application, I would wait until 2026 if I were in your shoes.

odesseyandoracle
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by odesseyandoracle » Wed May 22, 2024 8:20 am

Thank you that's what I will probably do, but I have done a lot of research already so I would be very curious to hear stories of other people, especially with EUSS. I've also read around blogs and solicitor videos that they might accept compassionate reasons, not only practical such as open/closed borders, but you state here that's not the case. Could you refer to any posts in this board with such cases of refusals?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed May 22, 2024 10:03 am

As I have stated, we haven't had many cases so it is difficult to compile a statistic. They state they will accept compassionate reasons but they don't elaborate in the guidance - I imagine if you had a parent that was seriously ill and you were the only person who could take care of them they would accept that, but I wouldn't personally know how to prove it (and your situation doesn't seem to fall under the "compassionate" grounds anyway, as you recognised yourself you chose not to come back). People with extended absences due to COVID managed to get approved by showing evidence that it was physically impossible for them to come back even though they tried (with cancelled flight tickets). If you would like a more thorough assessment on your case you may consider speaking to a solicitor.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am

To my knowledge this is the only successful case of COVID related absences that were waived on the forum. viewtopic.php?t=345672

odesseyandoracle
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by odesseyandoracle » Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:31 pm
odesseyandoracle wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:52 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
odesseyandoracle wrote:
Hi everyone,

They expect you to show it was impossible for you to travel, eg cancelled flight tickets. You stayed way beyond the time that borders reopened so your case would have slim chances.
Well, as I mentioned I'm a person at very high risk and doctors told me and have written statements not to even go out of the house and be extra cautious. I got sick for 2+ months and it was a nightmare. I was also living with my mother/grandmother who I was helping. Technically I could have flown back in terms of open airports but this trip could have deadly consequences for me and they should really consider such cases. I think their rules on this are very unfair

odesseyandoracle
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by odesseyandoracle » Wed May 22, 2024 10:32 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am
To my knowledge this is the only successful case of COVID related absences that were waived on the forum. viewtopic.php?t=345672
Thank you for the link and the help! This is a kind of similar story to mine actually, about the same days out due to covid, but my overall absences are more. I'll probably hold off because applying now would cause me a lot of stress. I just find it unfair that they treat such cases that way