ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Counting the 28 days before 5 years

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: I was not instructed to return BRP

Post by zimba » Thu May 23, 2024 12:42 pm

gjim83 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:39 pm
TerryGH wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:41 am
No one tracks returned BRPs. You can always say you sent it, Royal Mail loses thousands of letters every year, HO have no means to check if you really sent it.

The only way for HO to issue a fine, if they catch you using the BRP which was supposed to be returned. As long as you don't use it, there will be no issues.
While I don't doubt that's how it works in practice, unfortunately my brain would make me too paranoid to make something up about already having returned it I'd spend the whole time waiting for a response incredibly anxious.
This has no relevance to your ILR. There is no need to worry at all
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:49 pm

gjim83 wrote:
While I don't doubt that's how it works in practice, unfortunately my brain would make me too paranoid to make something up about already having returned it I'd spend the whole time waiting for a response incredibly anxious.
If keeping the card if affecting your wellbeing, then for your own peace of mind just cut the BRP in pieces and return it.

A friend of mine returned her well expired student BRP last year, after more than five years she completed studies and after getting ILR - no cover letters included, just the cut card. Nothing happened, no fines received whatsoever.

If you want to keep something to remember it, scan the BRP and keep it in your files.

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 pm

zimba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:42 pm
gjim83 wrote:
TerryGH wrote:
No one tracks returned BRPs. You can always say you sent it, Royal Mail loses thousands of letters every year, HO have no means to check if you really sent it.

The only way for HO to issue a fine, if they catch you using the BRP which was supposed to be returned. As long as you don't use it, there will be no issues.
There is a question in the SET(O) form
Do you have a BRP from a previous stay in the UK?
Answering "yes" then asks the question
Can you provide this with your application?
I guess I can just answer "yes" to both of those and wait for them to ask me about it. Or proactively just send attach a scan of both sides to the applkcation, but without any further explanation.

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:19 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:49 pm
If keeping the card if affecting your wellbeing, then for your own peace of mind just cut the BRP in pieces and return it.

A friend of mine returned her well expired student BRP last year, after more than five years she completed studies and after getting ILR - no cover letters included, just the cut card. Nothing happened, no fines received whatsoever.

If you want to keep something to remember it, scan the BRP and keep it in your files.
I am totally ambivalent to either keeping it or returning it. My last comment about being anxious was on the idea of lying to the HO, saying I sent it back when it wasn't true, and my overall question in this post with regards to my ILR application (which asks about this BRP) is what was the most advisable course of action.

Like I said in the past comment I think I'll just answer that I still have it and wait for instructions (if any) from UKVI.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm

gjim83 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 pm
zimba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:42 pm
gjim83 wrote:
TerryGH wrote:

There is a question in the SET(O) form
Do you have a BRP from a previous stay in the UK?
Answering "yes" then asks the question
Can you provide this with your application?
I guess I can just answer "yes" to both of those and wait for them to ask me about it. Or proactively just send attach a scan of both sides to the applkcation, but without any further explanation.
ALL evidence submitted to UKVI will be digital. No physical document is taken from you. This has been the case since 2018. No need to be paranoid. All BRPs will be useless in just a few months anyway and UKVI is not trying to catch you.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm

zimba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm
ALL evidence submitted to UKVI will be digital. No physical document is taken from you.
I am aware of that. I mentioned the question to put some background around why I was asking about old BRPs in the context of an ILR application.

Like I said, I will just answer "yes", and mention nothing else. If UKVI want something with this I'll let them inform me in due course when they respond to my application.

Thank you all.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:25 am
keep it as a souvenir.
Yes. It may even become a valuable antique in the future.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Thu May 23, 2024 5:39 pm

lol, no one I know actually returned old BRP cards. And only one friend of mine knows we need to return it but he still did not do it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you search it online, there are some cases where people sent their card to home office but lost it due to second class mail delivery.

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 pm

gjim83 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm
zimba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm
ALL evidence submitted to UKVI will be digital. No physical document is taken from you.
I am aware of that. I mentioned the question to put some background around why I was asking about old BRPs in the context of an ILR application.

Like I said, I will just answer "yes", and mention nothing else. If UKVI want something with this I'll let them inform me in due course when they respond to my application.

Thank you all.
I got ILR recently and I do not remember this question. And from my experience, there is no impact because o f that

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:35 pm

zxyzhgp wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:39 pm
lol, no one I know actually returned old BRP cards. And only one friend of mine knows we need to return it but he still did not do it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you search it online, there are some cases where people sent their card to home office but lost it due to second class mail delivery.
When I first moved to the UK the immigration solicitors advised me to disclose ALL driving fines I had EVER received... I had a few minor ones from way back in the 2000's that had even been purged from my home country's records and they still said I should make an estimate about the date because according to them the Home Office has some agreements with several countries to share this type of data and if I fail to disclose something it could have impacted my application. Since that was my first interaction with UKVI/HO that made me REALLY paranoid about the level of scrutiny in these dealings :D

Anyway, I submitted my application today and didn't mention anything about the BRP, now the wait starts

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:36 pm

vinny wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 3:36 pm
Ticktack wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:25 am
keep it as a souvenir.
Yes. It may even become a valuable antique in the future.
that's what I think I'll do :lol:

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 pm

gjim83 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:35 pm
zxyzhgp wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:39 pm

When I first moved to the UK the immigration solicitors advised me to disclose ALL driving fines I had EVER received... I had a few minor ones from way back in the 2000's that had even been purged from my home country's records and they still said I should make an estimate about the date because according to them the Home Office has some agreements with several countries to share this type of data and if I fail to disclose something it could have impacted my application. Since that was my first interaction with UKVI/HO that made me REALLY paranoid about the level of scrutiny in these dealings :D

Anyway, I submitted my application today and didn't mention anything about the BRP, now the wait starts
That was not your interaction with UKVI. That was you, paying someone who gave you terrible advice

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Fri May 31, 2024 1:48 pm

zimba wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 pm
That was not your interaction with UKVI. That was you, paying someone who gave you terrible advice
I agree on the "terrible advice" bit. I did not pay for that service, my employer did. And I think you're splitting hairs about whether it was the interaction with UKVI or not; it was a process in which UKVI were involved. I'm sure you understood what I meant.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri May 31, 2024 4:04 pm

gjim83 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 1:48 pm
zimba wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 pm
I agree on the "terrible advice" bit. I did not pay for that service, my employer did. And I think you're splitting hairs about whether it was the interaction with UKVI or not; it was a process in which UKVI were involved. I'm sure you understood what I meant.
UKVI will be involved in any visa application anyway. It was the advisor who claimed (without any basis) that mountains of irrelevant paperwork need to be sent to the UKVI or else hell will break loose. Indeed this is the trick of the advisors/lawyers to give the client an impression that the process is overtly complicated to justify their large fees. If it all looks simple they cannot justify it, so they need the client to believe this

gjim83
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gjim83 » Fri May 31, 2024 6:25 pm

zimba wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 4:04 pm
UKVI will be involved in any visa application anyway. It was the advisor who claimed (without any basis) that mountains of irrelevant paperwork need to be sent to the UKVI or else hell will break loose. Indeed this is the trick of the advisors/lawyers to give the client an impression that the process is overtly complicated to justify their large fees. If it all looks simple they cannot justify it, so they need the client to believe this
Although I agree with that being a shady tactic, that is a non-sequitur to what I meant about how my initial visa affected my approach: the first time I had to deal with UKVI for a resident visa (I didn't need tourist visa) I was given advice which, regardless of how wrong it was, it was given by someone who I expected to be a subject matter expert, and it left a lasting impression of being subject to excessive scrutiny when dealing with UKVI. I had never applied for a UK visa before so I obviously had no experience to base myself off.

It's unreasonable to expect people to simply rationalise these concerns away, especially when large amounts of money and your immigration status (ie. mid to long term life plans) are on the line. That's just not how the vast majority of human brains work.