ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mmccarthy404
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by mmccarthy404 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:38 am

Does anyone know how long it usually takes between the confirmation of address email and the processed/printed cert email?

I'm a Feb 2020 applicant, and I finally received the confirmation of address email July 26th. I responded the next day confirming my address was correct, but since then nothing...

I'm starting to worry I did something wrong. I noticed that the email said to quote your application number on all correspondence, but I didn't do that since I was replying directly about my application

JohnFBR
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by JohnFBR » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:20 pm

mmccarthy404 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:38 am
Does anyone know how long it usually takes between the confirmation of address email and the processed/printed cert email?

I'm a Feb 2020 applicant, and I finally received the confirmation of address email July 26th. I responded the next day confirming my address was correct, but since then nothing...

I'm starting to worry I did something wrong. I noticed that the email said to quote your application number on all correspondence, but I didn't do that since I was replying directly about my application
Don’t worry some have been on holiday. If you replied to the email directly you are fine. I would just send an email replying to your last email to ask for confirmation they have everything they need.

ozonez
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by ozonez » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi All

February 2020 Applicant, just heard back from the FBR. My dates are below if of any interest:

Application date: 14 February 2020
Date of receipt in Ireland: 26 February 2020
Address confirmation: 16 August 2022

Cheers all!

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:24 pm
IrishmanToBe wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:06 pm
Hi all. I'm (sort of) part of the April 2019 application club too.

Application sent: 29 March 2019
Email confirmation of receipt of application: 9 April 2019
Follow up queries sent to me: 9 March 2020
Additional requested information received in Ireland (according to Royal Mail recorded deliver): 27 March 2020
Hi IrishmanToBe,

Did you ever get your FBR cert?
If so, could you please provide the date so I can close out your entry in the FBR Timelines Google Sheet?

Thanks
Hi

Is it possible that I can be added to the FBR timeline doc.
Ive had a look but I can’t seem to find my username on it.

mkcg
Applied online 4/3/20
Docs received 25/3/20

Thanku

SL6
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by SL6 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:14 pm

Just realised that February 2020 was a leap year…. Another day / week in the life of the fbr team!!

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 pm

Hi there, I need some advice as I made a mistake on the online application form! I've gathered all my documents, I'm seeing the lawyers in a couple days to get everything notarized, BUT I just noticed I wrote the wrong answer for my mother's mother's (i.e., grandmother's) surname at birth; I wrote my mom's surname at birth instead of her mother's!

I've seen other people on this thread saying to fix the error on the physical notarized copy of the application, and also including a a cover letter explaining the error. Since my grandmother's surname at birth is clearly visible on the supporting documents (i.e., my mother's birth certificate, and my grandparents' marriage certificate), I think it should be pretty clear for whomever is processing the documents in Ireland to understand the mistake.

Does that all sound right? Is there anything else I should do? I can't seem to find any contact information for the Irish DFA office that's dealing with FBR applications.

Thanks a bunch!

JohnFBR
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by JohnFBR » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:23 pm

cyforcypher wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 pm
Hi there, I need some advice as I made a mistake on the online application form! I've gathered all my documents, I'm seeing the lawyers in a couple days to get everything notarized, BUT I just noticed I wrote the wrong answer for my mother's mother's (i.e., grandmother's) surname at birth; I wrote my mom's surname at birth instead of her mother's!

I've seen other people on this thread saying to fix the error on the physical notarized copy of the application, and also including a a cover letter explaining the error. Since my grandmother's surname at birth is clearly visible on the supporting documents (i.e., my mother's birth certificate, and my grandparents' marriage certificate), I think it should be pretty clear for whomever is processing the documents in Ireland to understand the mistake.

Does that all sound right? Is there anything else I should do? I can't seem to find any contact information for the Irish DFA office that's dealing with FBR applications.

Thanks a bunch!
Just correct it all with the paper submission. You could also correct the online form and submit that as-well with it. If you explain it all it won’t be an issue.

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:45 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:23 pm
cyforcypher wrote:

Thanks a bunch!
Just correct it all with the paper submission. You could also correct the online form and submit that as-well with it. If you explain it all it won’t be an issue.
Awesome, thank you, I will correct the paper submission then! I don't think I can correct the online form though, there doesn't seem to be a way to access my application form after it's been submitted without filling it out and paying for it again. But you're right, I don't think it will be an issue. Just want to get it right and get my citizenship asap. :)

JohnFBR
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by JohnFBR » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 am

cyforcypher wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:45 pm
JohnFBR wrote:
cyforcypher wrote:

Thanks a bunch!
Awesome, thank you, I will correct the paper submission then! I don't think I can correct the online form though, there doesn't seem to be a way to access my application form after it's been submitted without filling it out and paying for it again. But you're right, I don't think it will be an issue. Just want to get it right and get my citizenship asap. :)
From memory you are asked to download the pdf version of the form. Do you know your application number?

MrMister2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MrMister2022 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 am

MKCG wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 pm
IrishmanToBe wrote:

Additional requested information received in Ireland (according to Royal Mail recorded deliver): 27 March 2020
Hi IrishmanToBe,

If so, could you please provide the date so I can close out your entry in the FBR Timelines Google Sheet?

Thanks
Hi

mkcg
Applied online 4/3/20
Docs received 25/3/20

Thanku
Hi MKCG, I've added your dates to the spreadsheet. You should be able to edit it to update the next dates. Looks like you can expect to be hearing more soon!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... YBB2D2epA/

stateoscar660
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by stateoscar660 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:04 pm

Hello all, first-time poster here :D

Having done lots of research into my family and Irish citizenship, I am eligible to apply for it through the FBR (grandparent born in Ireland) and have spent the last few weeks/months getting all of the certificates and docs I need (which I now have, phew). I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to do this sooner, but oh well.

Just have a few questions before I do the online application if anyone could help, I've seen in places online that when you send all of the docs over to Ireland that you need to include a pre-paid return envelope so they can return all of your certificates, is this true? Secondly, I'm due to move house soon and while I would maybe wait until afterwards, having seen how long it is taking applications to be processed I don't want to delay this anymore. I know that they send you an email for confirmation of address, but is this just a case of emailing back with proofs of your new address, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm looking forward to this thread being my new hobby, let the 2 year wait begin 8)

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 am
cyforcypher wrote:
JohnFBR wrote:
cyforcypher wrote:

Thanks a bunch!
From memory you are asked to download the pdf version of the form. Do you know your application number?
Hi there, yes I have my application number and downloaded the PDF. Just doesn't seem to be anywhere to change the electronic application form that was submitted.

JohnFBR
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by JohnFBR » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:13 pm

cyforcypher wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pm
JohnFBR wrote:
cyforcypher wrote:
JohnFBR wrote:
cyforcypher wrote:

Thanks a bunch!
Hi there, yes I have my application number and downloaded the PDF. Just doesn't seem to be anywhere to change the electronic application form that was submitted.
Update it on the paper version and send that when you send all of the other docs

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:17 pm

stateoscar660 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:04 pm
Hello all, first-time poster here :D

Having done lots of research into my family and Irish citizenship, I am eligible to apply for it through the FBR (grandparent born in Ireland) and have spent the last few weeks/months getting all of the certificates and docs I need (which I now have, phew). I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to do this sooner, but oh well.

Just have a few questions before I do the online application if anyone could help, I've seen in places online that when you send all of the docs over to Ireland that you need to include a pre-paid return envelope so they can return all of your certificates, is this true? Secondly, I'm due to move house soon and while I would maybe wait until afterwards, having seen how long it is taking applications to be processed I don't want to delay this anymore. I know that they send you an email for confirmation of address, but is this just a case of emailing back with proofs of your new address, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm looking forward to this thread being my new hobby, let the 2 year wait begin 8)
When they send you the confirmation of address email prior to approval, if your address has changed (as mine had), you simple provide them your new address and 2 pieces of evidence for the new address. in my case I provided a cable bill and a bank statement with my current address. Was very simple.

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:38 pm

MrMister2022 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 am
MKCG wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 pm
IrishmanToBe wrote:

Hi IrishmanToBe,

Thanks
Hi

mkcg
Applied online 4/3/20
Docs received 25/3/20

Thanku
Hi MKCG, I've added your dates to the spreadsheet. You should be able to edit it to update the next dates. Looks like you can expect to be hearing more soon!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... YBB2D2epA/
Hi

Thanks very much for doing that for me.
I keep thinking I’ll hear soon but approaching 29 months here and fbr team still working on feb applicants lol

Thanks again :-)

Ms_Mac
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Ms_Mac » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Hello all, long time lurker here! Got some great news to share, finally got the long awaited address confirmation email.

Application Sent: 15 February 2020
Application Received: 26 February 2020
Address Confirmation: 17 August 2022

Nearly 2 and 1/2 years exactly :shock: Can't express how grateful I am for this group! You all have made a long and lonely process much more bearable. Thank you to everyone who's shared their experiences over the last few months!

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:13 pm
cyforcypher wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pm
JohnFBR wrote:
cyforcypher wrote:
JohnFBR wrote:
cyforcypher wrote:

Thanks a bunch!
Update it on the paper version and send that when you send all of the other docs
Hello again, I just wanted to leave a tip for anyone reading this who makes a mistake on their online application form! I called the DFA (+353 1 568 3331) and they told me to just correct the mistake on the paper application with a pen. I asked if I should include a letter explaining the mistake and they said sure, it wouldn't hurt. Then I got an email saying they'd made the change on their end to my online application form. So if anyone needs to make a correction, especially in a hurry, contact fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie. I hope this helps someone! I'm getting everything witnessed today and I'll be hanging around this forum as the process moves on. :)

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:04 pm

Ms_Mac wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:16 pm
Hello all, long time lurker here! Got some great news to share, finally got the long awaited address confirmation email.

Application Sent: 15 February 2020
Application Received: 26 February 2020
Address Confirmation: 17 August 2022

Nearly 2 and 1/2 years exactly :shock: Can't express how grateful I am for this group! You all have made a long and lonely process much more bearable. Thank you to everyone who's shared their experiences over the last few months!
Congrats! I also got my confirmation at just about 2 1/2 years and received my cert a few weeks later. I can't agree more that this forum made what would've have been a long and lonely process much more bearable.

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:57 am

I am curious to know how they will start treating the applications received over the lockdown e.g. someone could have applied in April 2020 but not been able to submit their docs until the office reopens.

I am wondering if they will prioritise on application date or whether it will be the luck of when your docs fell out of the post bag. Very much hope it is the former.

I suppose we will soon find out once we move past the March applications.

JohnFBR
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by JohnFBR » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:07 pm

Just received the Congrats email!
Thank you to everyone on the board!! 🇮🇪🇪🇺

Application date: 10th Feb 2020
Docs received: 19th Feb 2020
Address check: 4th Aug 2022
Congrats email: 19th Aug2022

🎉🎉

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:28 pm

Hello again, does anyone have recommendations for how to send the documents safely with tracking? I'm seeing some people sending them with Fedex, while others are saying Fedex doesn't ship to PO boxes, like the one in Dublin. I'll be shipping from Canada (Quebec), but it doesn't look like Canada Post has tracking for registered mail overseas? Please let me know what courier you used to get everything there safely, especially if shipping from Canada! Thanks in advance.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm

mmccarthy404 wrote:
I had a look at the FBR Timelines google sheet.
According to the sheet, the average time is 11 days.
Most are received within a month, although there are some at 2+ months.

The data here are not great. While the spreadsheet now has 156 completed FBRs, there's only data for the time from email to cert-received for 1/3 of those. Most people don't come back to report that they received their certificate. This leads me to suspect the data are skewed towards the shorter ones.

There are a lot of applicants in the UK, and the mail reaches them a lot quicker, so that also skews the average to appear faster.
This is also the height of holidays in Ireland, so that could be slowing things down.

So I wouldn't worry about it for a few more weeks at least.
But please let us know when you get it. (and the rest of your timeline so I can add it to the doc)

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:55 pm

Another strange thing from looking at the data in the FBR Timelines Google doc:

The numbers ramp up quickly from Dec 2018/Jan 2019, then drop off a cliff.
There are two each in Dec '18 and Jan '19.
Then the numbers increase steadily to 27 in each Jan 'and Feb 2020.
After that, there's just 9 in March '20 and the rest are mostly in the low single digits, except for Sep 2020 which has 10.

One possible explanation:
It does line up with the Brexit timeline pretty well. The UK officially left the EU on 31 Jan 2020. But I would expect to see the numbers to remain high throughout 2020. Particularly because it takes time to gather the documents necessary for the FBR.

Another:
I think also there's a significant number of people who don't post their dates here until they have their address check, congrats email, or cert. If so, as the office in Balbriggan starts working on March 2020 applications, that number should rise. (Currently it's at 9.)

mmccarthy404
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmccarthy404 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:57 pm

Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm
mmccarthy404 wrote:
I had a look at the FBR Timelines google sheet.
According to the sheet, the average time is 11 days.
Most are received within a month, although there are some at 2+ months.

The data here are not great. While the spreadsheet now has 156 completed FBRs, there's only data for the time from email to cert-received for 1/3 of those. Most people don't come back to report that they received their certificate. This leads me to suspect the data are skewed towards the shorter ones.

There are a lot of applicants in the UK, and the mail reaches them a lot quicker, so that also skews the average to appear faster.
This is also the height of holidays in Ireland, so that could be slowing things down.

So I wouldn't worry about it for a few more weeks at least.
But please let us know when you get it. (and the rest of your timeline so I can add it to the doc)
I ended up emailing them on the 16th and got the 'approved' email the 17th! I guess the squeaky wheel get's the grease!

mmccarthy404
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmccarthy404 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 am

Now I have a passport issue that I bet might be common to a few others in the forum.

I have a 'Mc' surname, and so I have two capital letters in my name like 'McCarthy'. In my current US passport it's written with a space like 'MC CARTHY' since it's all caps, but after I just filled out the passport form, the identity verification form just refers to my surname as 'Mccarthy' right now.

I think it's best if my Irish passport name perfectly matched my US passport name, but I'm not sure if it's possible to change after you submit your form online... Anyone have experience here?