ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rosmuc
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Rosmuc » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 pm

Here are exact dates involved:
18 July 2022 successfully completed the passport application.
26 July 2022 supporting documents received Boston to Dublin
So the processing time gets measured from the later date.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:02 pm

Rosmuc wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 pm
Thanks was just curious. I live in San Diego, and I'm at 18 days and counting with the registered mail to get to the embassy. It finally made it to Dublin yesterday. I'm guessing it'll get received sometime next week and clock will start on the actual application. Hoping to have the passport in hand by end of year.

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:28 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:02 pm
Rosmuc wrote:
Thanks was just curious. I live in San Diego, and I'm at 18 days and counting with the registered mail to get to the embassy. It finally made it to Dublin yesterday. I'm guessing it'll get received sometime next week and clock will start on the actual application. Hoping to have the passport in hand by end of year.
Took me almost 4 months just got everything inhand today after applying on May 14th

ferocious12

Post by ferocious12 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:01 pm

Hi All,

When I see the google sheet monthly summary, looks like there was significant increase in applications in early 2020 and number of applications dropped significantly from Apr 2020 onwards. Possibly due to Brexit.

Currently, the department is processing Mar 2020 applications. Is it correct to assume the process will be quicker for applications from Apr 2020 given the decrease in number of applications?

I understand the google sheet is not comprehensive but still good indicator.

Thanks

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:06 pm

ferocious12 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:01 pm
Hi All,

When I see the google sheet monthly summary, looks like there was significant increase in applications in early 2020 and number of applications dropped significantly from Apr 2020 onwards. Possibly due to Brexit.

Currently, the department is processing Mar 2020 applications. Is it correct to assume the process will be quicker for applications from Apr 2020 given the decrease in number of applications?

I understand the google sheet is not comprehensive but still good indicator.

Thanks
Obvious we can only speculate. But, I’d say seeing as the advice from the dfa was to not send in any applications and supporting documents during lockdown we’ll see a pick up in pace of months being processed up to September 2020. It seems less people were submitting applications during this time and the google sheet seems to show this. Most people I assume would have followed this advice. Of course only time will tell whether this is true but hopefully they do get to September 2020 applications soon as I was one myself

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:07 pm

Hopeful_galway wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:18 am
I was just starting to get excited; September application…

I am realizing folks seem to be getting a specific “documents received” email… I applied late august 2020; mailed my documentation on the first of September. I tracked it into Ireland and got an “application received” email on September 15th.

Should I have expected an email after that saying documents received? Have I been waiting for years with no hope…?

I have passively poked in every now and then but not studied too hard the replies so sorry if this is a known issue, i tried searching
Can anyone speak to this?

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:23 am

Mandino55 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:07 pm
Hopeful_galway wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:18 am
I was just starting to get excited; September application…

I am realizing folks seem to be getting a specific “documents received” email… I applied late august 2020; mailed my documentation on the first of September. I tracked it into Ireland and got an “application received” email on September 15th.

Should I have expected an email after that saying documents received? Have I been waiting for years with no hope…?

I have passively poked in every now and then but not studied too hard the replies so sorry if this is a known issue, i tried searching
Can anyone speak to this?
a lot of us never received a “documents received” email but when the webchat was up and running i messaged them and they said my application had been registered as received on a specific date. so, i never received an email saying they had received them, but i chased them down and they assured me they had my stuff. the website used to say something along the lines of ‘we don’t sent those emails’ so they most certainly took a break, probably bc people weren’t in the office consistently during 2020. be not afraid

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:07 am

Uh oh - I had completely missed the requirement to write the application form on the front of the envelope. I did this anyway but then at auspost they put it in a new outer envelope for international postage and I didn’t think to re-write it. Now it just says my sender information.

Do you think this is going to be an issue? Such a massive undertaking to get this far I’m gutted

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:42 am

Robbiekeane wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:07 am
Uh oh - I had completely missed the requirement to write the application form on the front of the envelope. I did this anyway but then at auspost they put it in a new outer envelope for international postage and I didn’t think to re-write it. Now it just says my sender information.

Do you think this is going to be an issue? Such a massive undertaking to get this far I’m gutted
No I don't think it will be an issue. From my own experience I don't think I did. I also included non certified copies of my passport when I sent my docs (what a muppet). I got in touch with them and re-sent the certified passport with the application number on the front of the envelope and they confirmed they had received my docs. Not via the generic email, I had to send an email in to the lady who advised me on my passport doc query. So I wouldn't worry.

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:27 am

Thanks mate - panic over! Even went back to the post office 3 hours later and they had already sent it off haha.

Hard work is done now. Glad you got yours sorted - a work colleague who is an accountant certified my stuff and just threw a work business card in there as well as his registration number…hoping that counts as certified!

Also if anyone was having any trouble getting details of grandparents etc to track down documents, I got all my info off ancestry.com (my grandad didn’t even know his birth year never mind all his mums details etc).

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:56 am

Robbiekeane wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:27 am
Thanks mate - panic over! Even went back to the post office 3 hours later and they had already sent it off haha.

Hard work is done now. Glad you got yours sorted - a work colleague who is an accountant certified my stuff and just threw a work business card in there as well as his registration number…hoping that counts as certified!

Also if anyone was having any trouble getting details of grandparents etc to track down documents, I got all my info off ancestry.com (my grandad didn’t even know his birth year never mind all his mums details etc).
I had to get my friend who is a University Lecturer to do mine. She doesn't have business cards so I had to do a print out of university web page where it has her photo, job title etc. Hopefully that also counts! They can check her out on Google. Just hope she's still in the job when they get round to processing my application!

Scaoife
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Scaoife » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:41 am

Got my confirmation of address email last Friday!

So my dates are:
Application date: 19 February 2020
Documents received: 10 March 2020
Confirmation of address email: 9 September 2022.

Will add to spreadsheet now if I can.

Thanks everyone, and Godspeed your applications.

skanheap
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by skanheap » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:52 pm

Could anyone who already has their passport or applied please give their dates? I'm curious if the 20 Business days turnaround is actually to be believed, because after the FBR turnaround time it without a doubt seems too good to be true. :?

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:46 pm

I had occasion to contact the FBR on the urgent inquiries email address this weekend, after suddenly realizing that all my contact details (email address and both phone numbers) had changed since applying electronically in April 2020 and now, leading me to believe that I may be about to miss (or might have already missed!) the email asking me to confirm my mailing address.

They got back to me this morning, within an hour of opening for business, and confirmed they had updated the details in my file.

In the email I also asked if they could provide an update on my application, since I had heard absolutely zero about my case right from the very beginning. They confirmed receipt of my printed application and supporting documents as of the 3rd of July, 2020 and said they were currently working applications where the supporting documents were confirmed as received in March, 2020. So it should be quite soon for me. Perhaps a nice Christmas gift or maybe early January at the very latest, fingers crossed.

Anyway, hope the timeline information they gave me is helpful to those of you still waiting.

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:17 pm

mwalsh5757 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:46 pm
I had occasion to contact the FBR on the urgent inquiries email address this weekend. snip
Oh, and they also told me that "as the current level of passport demand reduces" they'll be reassigning staff back to processing FBR applications.

Otto Sump
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Otto Sump » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:34 pm

skanheap wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:52 pm
Could anyone who already has their passport or applied please give their dates? I'm curious if the 20 Business days turnaround is actually to be believed, because after the FBR turnaround time it without a doubt seems too good to be true. :?
19/06/2022: Online application
28/06/2022: Confirmation of receipt of documents
07/09/2022: Printing documents
12/09/2022: Received my passport

So actually it's more like 3 months for a first time passport not resident in Ireland.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:42 am

skanheap wrote:
Check out the "First Time Passport Application Timelines - 2022" thread. It's much longer than that. It seems to be much closer to 2 or 2 1/2 months from evidence received to status printing. My evidence just arrived there this morning for passport, I'm expecting to have it in hand hopefully by the end of the year. At least in this case unlike the FBR there is a status tracker and a way to communicate with them tho.

After waiting 2 1/2 years for the FBR, I'm not sweating another few months for the passport.

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:16 am

skanheap wrote:
Took me almost 4 months. Applied 14 May and received everything 10 Sep.

walter3ca
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by walter3ca » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:35 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Rosmuc wrote:
Where did you get your passport photo taken. I understand that Erie has some tough requirements.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:50 am

walter3ca wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:35 am
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Rosmuc wrote:
Where did you get your passport photo taken. I understand that Erie has some tough requirements.
I tried to take it at home, but the online portal kept rejecting it. I went to a Fedex store and they took the picture. I paid like $5 extra to get digital version on a thumb drive. Worked perfectly.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:58 am

skanheap wrote:
This is an interesting one, mainly because no one was expecting the time for First time applicants to be reduced and most of us had come to accept the longer times, so I was surprised (but pleased) to see it come down so much. From what I have seen, this mainly applies to applicants in the ROI, with UK and US applications taking significantly longer (which I guess if fair as they can verify local documents much more easily than they can International ones)

A tip for UK applicants though - follow the documents guidance for Northern Ireland applicants - they are quite specific in terms of their preferred documents, I.e. NHS, Social Welfare or HM Revenue and Customs over bank statements - this must help as my documents for the passport were verified in 3 days (and now, just processing)

(Sorry to post this in FBR chat) - best of luck to those of you waiting

JackESC
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JackESC » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:12 am

Hiya everyone!

I have been following this forum for a while and have recently obtained all the necessary documents needed to be put onto the FBR.. wahoo!

I am a bit confused about the witness section though. I have two potential witnesses – a police officer and uni lecturer. The police officer is not allowed to copy her ID badge and has no headed paper or anything similar.. she is happy to put her police contact details on the form, but I understand she needs something to prove this? My uni lecturer is also happy to do it too, but she is searching for business cards as she has no stamp…. I thought the hardest part was over (obtaining the docs from Ireland) but this is really starting to worry me, especially if my uni lecturer does not have business cards :(

Any advice/tips much appreciated.. I don’t want to fall at the last hurdle. Thanks in advance and good day 😊 (btw I am British applying through my grandma who was born in Ireland and an Irish citizen).

Otto Sump
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Otto Sump » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:39 pm

JackESC wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:12 am
Hiya everyone!

I have been following this forum for a while and have recently obtained all the necessary documents needed to be put onto the FBR.. wahoo!

I am a bit confused about the witness section though. I have two potential witnesses – a police officer and uni lecturer. The police officer is not allowed to copy her ID badge and has no headed paper or anything similar.. she is happy to put her police contact details on the form, but I understand she needs something to prove this? My uni lecturer is also happy to do it too, but she is searching for business cards as she has no stamp…. I thought the hardest part was over (obtaining the docs from Ireland) but this is really starting to worry me, especially if my uni lecturer does not have business cards :(

Any advice/tips much appreciated.. I don’t want to fall at the last hurdle. Thanks in advance and good day 😊 (btw I am British applying through my grandma who was born in Ireland and an Irish citizen).
Mine was witnessed by a university lecturer. We went down into the school office/student helpdesk and they had stamps, so we used one of those. No problems at all.

I work at the same uni, and I got some business cards printed by our university print service so that I could witness my girlfriends FBR application. All unis will have a print service and it only took a couple of days.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:35 pm

Could we please keep this thread on the topic of FBR?
There are other threads to discuss passports.

For example:

First Time Passport Application Timelines - 2022
ireland/first-time-passport-application ... 4539.html
Passport Application Discussion 2022
ireland/passport-application-discussion ... 27123.html

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:33 pm

JackESC wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:12 am
Hiya everyone!

could your university lecturer print a letter out on university letter headed paper (just like they would do for a reference or something)? I’m sure the admin office could help with that