ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing parents to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ashwin G
Newly Registered

Bringing parents to UK

Post by Ashwin G » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:41 am

I am in UK at the moment living with my wife and a daughter who is 2 years old, we both are working and have total family income in excess of 100K per annum, both me and my wife have ILR and would soon have citizenship as well, my daughter has an Indian passport. My Father 60, and Mother 55 (housewife) currently live in India. Now my dad would be retiring soon but they plan to live in India for few years at least before eventually planning to come to UK and settle down with us.
Following retirement my father would receive a good lump sum amount instead of pension and ideally would not be dependent on me financially
Eventually I would like to live with my parents in UK and looking to plan forward to avoid any surprises down the line, would like to know my options -

1) Is it better to wait few years and apply my parents visa after they are 65 as Elderly Dependent, in that case my mother will be only 60 when father turns 65 - would I be able to apply for her.
2) Looking at the eligibility criteria for elderly dependants I think it would be very difficult to quality given conditions like
"they should need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks and the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in."
and also because they are not really financially dependent on me.

Are there any other routes available?

Thanks in advance!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Bringing parents to UK

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:11 pm

No chance.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

spring123

Post by spring123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:12 pm

I don't think there's any option really - the UK has tightened rules on ADRs. There's the Surinder Singh route, but I am not sure exactly how it would work.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:13 pm

Ashwin G wrote: Following retirement my father would receive a good lump sum amount instead of pension and ideally would not be dependent on me financially
Eventually I would like to live with my parents in UK and looking to plan forward to avoid any surprises down the line, would like to know my options -

"they should need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks and the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in."
and also because they are not really financially dependent on me.

Are there any other routes available?

Thanks in advance!
You answered yourself. Now there may be some other options like if they can come via investment route etc! I have no clue but reckon there are some visas in that category.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:41 am

I believe that since the rules on adult dependent relatives were tightened, only four visas have been issued under that category since then.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 am

A friend of mine has just submitted her application in this category. She is financially independent but isolated abroad having lost her husband just over a year ago. It is very unlikely she will be granted the visa but I will keep you updated. Unfortunately she has been told it might take up to four months to hear.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:56 am

michali wrote:A friend of mine has just submitted her application in this category. She is financially independent but isolated abroad having lost her husband just over a year ago. It is very unlikely she will be granted the visa but I will keep you updated. Unfortunately she has been told it might take up to four months to hear.
I hope your friend realises that a refusal for an adult dependent relative visa effectively shuts the door on a future visit visa as the intention to settle will be known.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:09 pm

She does and I was surprised she went ahead with the application.

Ashwin G
Newly Registered

Post by Ashwin G » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone, seems like the easiest question to answer on the forum. Thanks CR001 and Michali - never thought about that angle.

Now I think I need to get the British passport and then look to work in a country where it would be allowed to work on UK passport and at the same time possible to get the parents. I understand this may not be the right forum for such a question but any ideas from someone who has researched such options would be very useful

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:26 pm

If you look in the EU forum, search for 'Surinder Singh' route, which is what you will need to know about.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ashwin G
Newly Registered

Post by Ashwin G » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:27 pm

@CR001, tks, looked at that but I think by the time I need that 5/10 years from now, they would have plugged the gap most probably :(