ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS after 6 April 2015

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hml9
Newly Registered

IELTS after 6 April 2015

Post by hml9 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:50 am

I have obtained my british citizenship last month. My wife is on ILR and will apply for naturalisation soon.
Re the accepted IELTS , there have been changes listed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

Looking at the post-April 6 list, there is a IELTS Life Skills Test and just a IELTS test.
Does this mean the IELTS general or academic tests are still accepted AFTER 6 April?

Hubba

Re: IELTS after 6 April 2015

Post by Hubba » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

OK, so this is interesting.

IELTS is still accepted and will continue to be. If you take IELTS before 5th April 2015, such IELTS result can be used on applications submitted until 5th November 2015. If you take the test after 5th April 2015, you can use it whenever you want.

I say this is interesting because after 5th November 2015 they will stop accepting the currently expired IELTS results (given that only tests less than 1 year one will be accepted).

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Hubba wrote:OK, so this is interesting.

IELTS is still accepted and will continue to be. If you take IELTS before 5th April 2015, such IELTS result can be used on applications submitted until 5th November 2015. If you take the test after 5th April 2015, you can use it whenever you want.

I say this is interesting because after 5th November 2015 they will stop accepting the currently expired IELTS results (given that only tests less than 1 year one will be accepted).
Incorrect.

The changes only apply to SELT (secure English language test) exams and affect visa applications, NOT applications for citizenship. Applications for citizenship DO NOT require a SELT.

As long as IELTS remains on the OFQUAL register, it will continue to be accepted
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 pm

WR1 wrote:
Hubba wrote:OK, so this is interesting.

Incorrect.

The changes only apply to SELT (secure English language test) exams and affect visa applications, NOT applications for citizenship. Applications for citizenship DO NOT require a SELT.

As long as IELTS remains on the OFQUAL register, it will continue to be accepted
I don't think what I've said is incorrect. From the Home Office website:
Approved English language qualifications

You can prove your knowledge of English by having an English level B1, B2, C1 or C2 level qualification that’s one of the following:
  • an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
  • an ESOL qualification at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and taken in Scotland
  • on the Home Office’s list of recognised English tests and qualifications
Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years. Your qualification will still be accepted as proof if you’re applying for citizenship, even if it has expired.

If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted if it was one of the following:
  • previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
  • awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register
My understanding is that, while IELTS is still a Ofqual registered qualification, its expired use AFTER 5th November would only be valid if such test was taken (i.e. awarded) in the UK and have already been used in another immigration application.

Please bear in mind that this is not always the case. Currently any expired IELTS, had it been taken or not in the UK and regardless of having been used before, can be used for Citizenship purposes.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:39 pm

SELT list expiry dates do not apply to Naturalisation applications. Those expiry date are for visa applications, mainly spouse visa, further leave to remain and indefinite leave to remain.
Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications, as validity dates are not referred to in the regulations. However, qualifications taken in the UK must be have been regulated by OFQUAL, the Welsh government or CCEA, or if taken in Scotland, by the SQA
Source
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:37 pm

WR1 wrote:SELT list expiry dates do not apply to Naturalisation applications. Those expiry date are for visa applications, mainly spouse visa, further leave to remain and indefinite leave to remain.
Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications, as validity dates are not referred to in the regulations. However, qualifications taken in the UK must be have been regulated by OFQUAL, the Welsh government or CCEA, or if taken in Scotland, by the SQA
Source
The problem is for IELTS tests taken before SELT, i.e. before 6th April 2015. After 5th November 2015, only IELTS tests where the result is provided via SELT code will be accepted, i.e. old certificates with results not available via SELT code won't be accepted (at least those not taken in the UK).

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:03 am

IELTS will continue to be accepted for Naturalisation application after November 2015 regardless of when it was taken.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:38 am

WR1 wrote:IELTS will continue to be accepted for Naturalisation application after November 2015 regardless of when it was taken.
Are you reading what it's being posted or just repeating yourself without providing any valid sources to counterpoint the arguments presented?

Don't do assertions which are not based on current, valid, publicly available documents.

Yes, IELTS will continue to be accepted for Naturalisation applications after November 5th, but just IELTS where results are provided via SELT, unless you have any documents showing otherwise. The notable exception would be IELTS tests taken in the UK and already used for immigration purposes.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:03 pm

Hubba wrote:
WR1 wrote:IELTS will continue to be accepted for Naturalisation application after November 2015 regardless of when it was taken.
Are you reading what it's being posted or just repeating yourself without providing any valid sources to counterpoint the arguments presented?

Don't do assertions which are not based on current, valid, publicly available documents.

Yes, IELTS will continue to be accepted for Naturalisation applications after November 5th, but just IELTS where results are provided via SELT, unless you have any documents showing otherwise. The notable exception would be IELTS tests taken in the UK and already used for immigration purposes.
You seem to have missed every point I have made in my post including links to the sources that I have clearly made.

SELT affects only visa applications and is not subject to naturalisation applications.

http://www.natecla.org.uk/news/783/Engl ... am-changes

What you say is correct for visa applications but not for Naturalisation. As long as IELTS remains on the OFQUAL register, irrespective of the SELT list, it will continue to be accepted.

I suggest you contact the Home Office directly if you require clarification.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am

You seem to have missed every point I have made in my post including links to the sources that I have clearly made.

SELT affects only visa applications and is not subject to naturalisation applications.

http://www.natecla.org.uk/news/783/Engl ... am-changes

What you say is correct for visa applications but not for Naturalisation. As long as IELTS remains on the OFQUAL register, irrespective of the SELT list, it will continue to be accepted.

I suggest you contact the Home Office directly if you require clarification.
This link is not from the Home Office or any government linked department, is it?

The changes here were done to Appendix O of the Immigration Rules. The English requirement for Naturalisation is based on the changes to the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirements, implemented back in October 2013. The validity of qualifications is also based on Appendix O of the Immigration Rules (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf).

As I have been saying, IELTS will continue to be accepted for Naturalisation applications after November 5th, but just IELTS where results are provided via SELT. The notable exception would be IELTS tests taken in the UK and already used for immigration purposes. This would match the OFQUAL register. IELTS tests taken outside the UK don't meet such requirement.
Approved English language qualifications

You can prove your knowledge of English by having an English level B1, B2, C1 or C2 level qualification that’s one of the following:
  • an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
  • an ESOL qualification at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and taken in Scotland
  • on the Home Office’s list of recognised English tests and qualifications
Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years. Your qualification will still be accepted as proof if you’re applying for citizenship, even if it has expired.

If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted if it was one of the following:
  • previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
  • awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register
As shown above, there are three categories of accepted qualifications. Ofqual registered qualifications are only valid if taken in England, Wales or NI. IELTS taken outside England, Wales or NI are accepted based on the list presented on Appendix O of the Immigration Rules, which is exacly what is being changed.

Then again, I do concede this is a murky area, where UKVI's documentation is not clear enough to safely assert either way. If I was on such situation (using an expired IELTS result after 5th November 2015), I'd definitely contact the Home Office for clarification.
Last edited by Hubba on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:32 pm

If you are that concerned you can take B1 level exam and be done with it, small fee and not much hassle.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

hml9
Newly Registered

Post by hml9 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:22 pm

After reading these exchanges I am confused.
She plans to take the IELTS Academic on April 18 at Lewisham and Southwark College, and we would apply for naturalisation as soon as she gets the IELTS results.
The requirement is listed only as equivalent to B1 level speaking and listening. I assume this means the scores in the IELTS for reading and writing don't matter?

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 am

hml9 wrote:After reading these exchanges I am confused.
She plans to take the IELTS Academic on April 18 at Lewisham and Southwark College, and we would apply for naturalisation as soon as she gets the IELTS results.
The requirement is listed only as equivalent to B1 level speaking and listening. I assume this means the scores in the IELTS for reading and writing don't matter?
Such IELTS would be valid. Go ahead and take the exam. The result would be provided via SELT. You'll then be able to use such code when submitting the naturalisation form.
Last edited by Hubba on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 am

hml9 wrote:After reading these exchanges I am confused.
Such IELTS would be valid. Go ahead and take the exam. The result would be provided via SELT. You'll then be able to use such code when submitting the naturalisation form.

The discussion above would only affect expired IELTS results from tests taken outside the UK. If she's taking the test here in the UK and after 6th April, it is perfectly fine to use such IELTS result.
Last edited by Hubba on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hml9
Newly Registered

Post by hml9 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:51 am

great thanks for the clarification

Mouna
Newly Registered

Post by Mouna » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi
Does it mean that those applying after 5 th of November should take another test depending on what they will update in the future?
Thanks

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Mouna wrote:Hi
Does it mean that those applying after 5 th of November should take another test depending on what they will update in the future?
Thanks
No, even after 5th November you will still be able to take the IELTS exam and use its result for Naturalisation purposes. All comments here are only regarding already expired IELTS.

Mouna
Newly Registered

Post by Mouna » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:08 am

Hubba wrote:
Thanks
No, even after 5th November you will still be able to take the IELTS exam and use its result for Naturalisation purposes. All comments here are only regarding already expired IELTS.
Hi
I got my ILR using expired IELTS with the level required, if it is the same level and accepted before , will it be so? Or no?
P.S my test is provided from one of the centres listed on or after 6th of April 2015 thanx

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:40 am

Mouna wrote:
Hubba wrote:
Thanks
Hi
I got my ILR using expired IELTS with the level required, if it is the same level and accepted before , will it be so? Or no?
P.S my test is provided from one of the centres listed on or after 6th of April 2015 thanx
Was the test taken in the UK? If so, yes I would say it will probably be accepted. If the test wasn't taken in the UK, I'd say you can use it only until 5th November, but please confirm with the Home Office.

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 pm

interesting

what about ESOL 3 ofquol (pearson) test which are used for ILR and will be used for naturlisation in 2016?
is it still valid and accepted?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 am

tier1o wrote:interesting

what about ESOL 3 ofquol (pearson) test which are used for ILR and will be used for naturlisation in 2016?
Currently fine. But rules / fees are revised in April and September/October every year, who knows what they'd change, with new govt and all.

ias_iaj
Newly Registered

Re: Bulats after 6 April 2015

Post by ias_iaj » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:38 pm

Dear Members, I am applying for my citizenship in the route of 3years Spouse of British citizen on08-Apr using NCS.
1. When I applied for ILR in Mar-14 as Tier-1 dependent, I took up BULATS test that was one of the approved exams for English language offered by Cambridge University. I understand that the rules are changing with the new AN form and BULATS is not in the list. Can any one please let me know if my BULATS certificates are still valid please or should o take up new tests to prove my English language? BULATS are valid for 2 years and I gave the online Certificated BULATS in Jan-14.
2. I have BRP and I have given fingerprints as part of Biometrics. Should i still enroll for fingerprints and do biometrics as per the new form?
3. I already got my references ready on June-14 form now went and got another signatures in the Mar-2015 form. Between now and 08-Apr do you know if the forms are changing please?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:41 am

tier1o wrote:interesting

It depends, as far as I know some institutes issuing B1 (like the one my wife attended last year) put a two year expiry on English test.
This link has comprehensive list.

uk2005

Post by uk2005 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi..
Frind of mine going to apply BC he done Life in uk test he did ielts 2004 score 5.0 can he use it for BC or he need B1?
BC 7/5/2015(NCS)
HO received 8/5/2015
Biometric done 1/6/2015
Appoval 31/10/2015
Ceremony 03/11/2015
Never give up hope!

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Its now two years from 06 April 2015. Ask him to do a B1 etc.

EDIT: Can use it till November if falls into list, as per same link:
Anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5th April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the Transitional Approved Tests list which can be found at this link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests