ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 am

alexkean1986 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 am
I keep seeing everyones timelines stating 'documents received'
Is this the date provided by the postal tracking or should I have received confirmation from the FBR office?
Thanks In advance 🙂
Most people receive a 'no reply' email from the FBR stating their documents have been received. Unfortunately some people don't get this communication.

Rxp2023

Post by Rxp2023 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:44 am

alexkean1986 wrote:
Is this the date provided by the postal tracking or should I have received confirmation from the FBR office?
Thanks In advance 🙂
It’s an email from noreply@dfat.ie, there is no specific mention of documents but rather it is worded like this:

‘Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.

Information in relation to current processing timelines can be found on our webpage www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/regi ... ign-birth/

JohnL
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JohnL » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Just wanted to post this heads up about sending in your existing passport with your Irish passport application. Anyone who resides outside of Ireland can send a copy. This is from the passport application Consent Form - just applied online last night. I'm sending a notarized copy of my passport with my other docs on Monday.

Government issued photo identification (Copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport or National ID card from another country, or original Driving Licence). Please
note: If resident outside of the State, certified copies of ID are accepted. A copy can be certified
by a police officer, a solicitor, the witness who signs your Identity Verification Form, or by the
issuing authority.

brianborutoo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brianborutoo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:20 pm

rìbhinne wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:17 am
brianborutoo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:27 pm
Glad to hear that rìbhinne. For my part, the USPS tracking is unchanged and AnPost shows nothing. Now nearly 60 days. *cries a little* Can you shed any light on the routing of your package (since it was also through USPS)? Was your fee necessary, in the end, and used? I am still mystified as to the need for a customs fee on documents like these. The clerk in the post office did nothing about any of the right side of the customs declaration form on mine.
It sounds to me that yours never left USPS, or Cincinnati. I sent mine from Los Angeles, they departed for Ireland from Newark which is the route all of the parcels I send to Ireland go. I still have a lot of family in Ireland and we post things often. I assume it didn't need the cheque I threw in for the supposed customs duty as it was delivered to post box and not held. I haven't received the confirmation of receipt the documents from FBR yet. It's a shame DHL won't deliver to a PO Box. I order my tea directly from Barry's in Cork and it somehow shows up at my door within a couple days.

Perhaps you need to go a bit Karen on USPS and ask to speak to the supervisor?
Hmm, that's interesting. The tracking information suggests that it's in international transit ... but that's not very helpful. USPS doesn't seem to think it's in their hands. I've been asking again and again what the exact route would be for my package given it's departure from Cincinnati, but they don't seem capable of telling me.

alexkean1986
Newly Registered

Post by alexkean1986 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm

Rxp2023 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:44 am
alexkean1986 wrote:
Thanks In advance 🙂
It’s an email from noreply@dfat.ie, there is no specific mention of documents but rather it is worded like this:

‘Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.

Information in relation to current processing timelines can be found on our webpage www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/regi ... ign-birth/
Thanks for the info, I actually just got the email after reading this :)

My timeline so far.
13th March 2023 - Application made online and sent.
23rd March 2023 - Application shown as delivered by courier.
26th March 2023 - Email received confirming application received.
TBC...

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:26 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:44 am
Good Morning.

Could anyone confirm the following:

1. The current waiting time from day documents received to certificate being delivered is 9-11 months? I am going off posts in here
2. Why does the official site state 2 years and also I spoke on the phone with them today and was also told 2 years.
3. Do you get an email to confirm documents are received or are you just going off the tracking information from the delivery (mine arrived today)
4. If people are receiving there FBR certificates now that applied 9-11 month ago and the process is getting quicker does that mean that those that apply now will see it happen quicker
5. When making my online application it timed out before i could complete payment, will this create a problem and if so how can it be resolved? I did call in and was told not to worry about it
1. Looking at the spreadsheet (see link in my signature), it's currently in the 11-13 month range, docs received to cert received.
Address checks are 8-12 months from docs received. Seems there's still a bottleneck in getting the Certs printed.
2. I don't know why they're saying that. To make sure your application sails through with minimal delay: Follow all the instructions. Provide every document that's asked for (even if you think it's unnecessary or redundant). I don't know if it helps, but I included a cover letter explaining: this is my grandparent, here are the relevant documents; this is my parent and these are the documents I included, etc.
3. Most people get an email confirming documents received. Not everyone does, and it's hard to know why. Did the email go to spam? Get lost in transit? Never get sent? Impossible to say.
4. Maybe. Seems like that's their goal, but to quote Yogi Berra, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."

Rxp2023

Post by Rxp2023 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:48 pm

My cert was printed/posted last week (3 weeks after email address check), and if it arrives next week as I’m expecting, that will be bang on 10 months from docs received (2/6/22). Already seen a couple of other people posting similar timescales. If you look on the spread sheet, people who applied earlier definitely took a little longer, but as it does seem to be trending down, it makes sense to assume that people who applied a little later than me will probably have a shorter wait time.

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Tickets » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:51 pm

I I wonder if someone can help me I sent all my a paperwork and received an email for my documents received on the 9/12/22 and haven’t received an email to pay for my application is this normal ?

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Tickets » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:19 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm
Rxp2023 wrote:
alexkean1986 wrote:
Thanks In advance 🙂

My timeline so far.
TBC...
Did you manage to find out about payment ??

rìbhinne
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rìbhinne » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:20 pm

brianborutoo wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:20 pm
Hmm, that's interesting. The tracking information suggests that it's in international transit ... but that's not very helpful. USPS doesn't seem to think it's in their hands. I've been asking again and again what the exact route would be for my package given it's departure from Cincinnati, but they don't seem capable of telling me.
Try using the tracker site 17track.net as it gives a bit more info than USPS. This is what my document journey looked like (again, haven't received confirmation from FBR)

alexkean1986
Newly Registered

Post by alexkean1986 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:21 pm

Tickets wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:19 pm
alexkean1986 wrote:
Rxp2023 wrote:
alexkean1986 wrote:
Thanks In advance 🙂

My timeline so far.
TBC...
Not yet unfortunately, going to call again in the morning and try get some clarity

Irishfinallymaybe1
Newly Registered

Post by Irishfinallymaybe1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:03 am

JohnL wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 pm
Just wanted to post this heads up about sending in your existing passport with your Irish passport application. Anyone who resides outside of Ireland can send a copy. This is from the passport application Consent Form - just applied online last night. I'm sending a notarized copy of my passport with my other docs on Monday.

Government issued photo identification (Copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport or National ID card from another country, or original Driving Licence). Please
note: If resident outside of the State, certified copies of ID are accepted. A copy can be certified
by a police officer, a solicitor, the witness who signs your Identity Verification Form, or by the
issuing authority.
Thanks for this. I was wondering if I have to pay a solicitor here in the UK to notarise a copy of my passport or driving license. Whereas it looks like I can get anyone who can witness the application to do that. That's prett handy to know. I'm waiting for my certificate to be posted to me, then will be on to the next bit.

Knowing how bad royal mail is, I'm going to take the ferry to Dublin (Holyhead) and make a bit of a trip out of it.

I heard someone else mention they were going to hand deliver the passport application. Anyone done this? Is there a postal box for them in the passport office?

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Tickets » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 am

alexkean1986 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:21 pm
Tickets wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:19 pm
alexkean1986 wrote:
Rxp2023 wrote:
alexkean1986 wrote:
Thanks In advance 🙂

My timeline so far.
TBC...
Not yet unfortunately, going to call again in the morning and try get some clarity
I have just spoken to them and they said it’s fine when they get round to reviewing your file they send the payment like to you

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Tickets » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:13 am

I also have another question I am an expectant parent I am the father of the baby and they have said to obtain a letter with the expectant date of my child but we’re I am the father obviously it will not have my name on the letter just this matter ??

ev255
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by ev255 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:10 am

Seeing things speed up now gives me some hope. I was reluctant to make my application years earlier because my family errr have never really been very close to one another, and I really didn't know a lot about my history.

I actually looked into many alternatives before I did a DNA test, and then had an expert look into my history and realized that actually I'm completely irish. LOL,

I had joked for years with colleagues/partners etc that I might be, but I really didn't know. I've for a long time being very unhappy with the UK, I had quite alot of success with my own businesses when travelling as a younger adult, but then came to the UK during a low point and then am very successful again so now have the chance to look into these things.

As I'm 40 now, I'm looking to slow down in my career from the 100 hour weeks, and really start to enjoy life a little more. now that I can really ask for what I need to be happy from businesses.

Can't wait to have the opportunity that most people I meet have, to live in different places and make friends from all over the world.

My timeline for my application was

01/10/22 - application made online
18/10/22 - application received (delay in getting all my documents ready)
TBC - address confirmation
TBC - Congratulations email

According to my current estimation it could be as little as 91 days - 126 days when the address confirmation comes through (from now) I think thats basically 9 months, then another 1-2months for the certificate.

I'm very confident in the application as I really paid a few experts to gather the data, and an immigration lawyer to run over the details, dot the i's and cross the t's.

So we'll see :)

Wanting to leave the UK sooner than the date circa 26 june-24th July. but, I might just be patient as I don't want to get too excited too soon.

Milasz049
Newly Registered

Post by Milasz049 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed now as I received the address confirmation email a month and a half ago. I've emailed the guy twice so far for an update but have not received a response. The phone number listed is just the general enquirers number and they are unable to check individual applications.

lst1000
Newly Registered

Post by lst1000 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I can't believe how much the waiting times have reduced! I've been thinking about applying since I found out I could do it in 2007 but put it off until recently. I applied through one of my three Irish-born grandparents and this is my timeline so far...

Application made online: 21/12/2022
Application received (post tracking): 03/01/2023
Application received (email from DFAT): 05/01/2023

xRGHx
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by xRGHx » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 am

Ok, this is my final final post! Updating to include the timeline of my passport. Thanks again to this forum for the chats over the past couple years ❤️✨☘️

Aug 18th, 2020: began amassing documents
Oct 17th, 2020: online application submitted and paid
Dec 1st, 2020: application and documents mailed
Nov 16th, 2022: address confirmation and document request (Civil Death Certificate, not Proof of Death)
Jan 25th, 2023: application Approved!
Feb 2nd, 2023: Online Passport application sent
Feb 3rd, 2023: FBR cert received
Feb 3rd, 2023: Documents sent
Feb 16th, 2023: Documents received at DFA
March 6th, 2023: Status changed to processing
March 16th, 2023: Estimated issue date
March 15th, 2023: Passport dispatched
March 27th, 2023: Passport received in Canada!

seemcd
Newly Registered

Post by seemcd » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 am

My mother was born in Scotland in 1913.She was adopted in Scotland in 1913 by Irish born parents(born 1880s). Prior to 1930 in Scotland adoption was informal -there are NO records.
I have birth marriage and death certificates for her adoptive parents and birth parents + My mother's birth certificate with her birth parents named and surname + Her wedding and my birth certificates with her adoptive surname and parents names + Her death certificate with her birth parents and surname listed. I also have a 1921 census record showing her a part of her adoptive family.
My question is how is adoptive status identified in these circumstance with no formal adoption record. It is of interest to me since under the 1956 citizenship act children adopted by Irish families in any country automatically are deemed Irish citizens

alexkean1986
Newly Registered

Post by alexkean1986 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:07 pm

xRGHx wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 am
Ok, this is my final final post! Updating to include the timeline of my passport. Thanks again to this forum for the chats over the past couple years ❤️✨☘️

Aug 18th, 2020: began amassing documents
Oct 17th, 2020: online application submitted and paid
Dec 1st, 2020: application and documents mailed
Nov 16th, 2022: address confirmation and document request (Civil Death Certificate, not Proof of Death)
Jan 25th, 2023: application Approved!
Feb 2nd, 2023: Online Passport application sent
Feb 3rd, 2023: FBR cert received
Feb 3rd, 2023: Documents sent
Feb 16th, 2023: Documents received at DFA
March 6th, 2023: Status changed to processing
March 16th, 2023: Estimated issue date
March 15th, 2023: Passport dispatched
March 27th, 2023: Passport received in Canada!
Congratulations on getting your passport, you must be thrilled.
Please could you clarify your point regarding the death certificate. You now have me concerned lol

kathleen9936
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kathleen9936 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:15 pm

I keep reading about how applications received weeks/months after mine are much further along in the process than me, and it’s quite discouraging! So I’m posting my dates here in case there are others out there who feel a little overlooked:

Application submitted - 20/ Feb/2022
Documents received email - 21/Mar/2022
Confirmation of address email: ?
Congrats email: ?
Certificate received: ?

rover76
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rover76 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:33 pm

kathleen9936 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:15 pm
I keep reading about how applications received weeks/months after mine are much further along in the process than me, and it’s quite discouraging! So I’m posting my dates here in case there are others out there who feel a little overlooked:

Thank you for posting this! I've excitedly watched the timeframes on the board shrink, only to see them pass me up. Interestingly enough, we have the same received day:

Application submitted - Dec/06/2021
Documents sent - Mar/01/2022 (delay gathering docs)
Documents received email - Mar/21/2022

Will2022
Newly Registered

Post by Will2022 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:03 pm

rover76 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:33 pm
kathleen9936 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:15 pm

Thank you for posting this! I've excitedly watched the timeframes on the board shrink, only to see them pass me up. Interestingly enough, we have the same received day:

Application submitted - Dec/06/2021
Documents sent - Mar/01/2022 (delay gathering docs)
Documents received email - Mar/21/2022
Thanks both for posting these, i’m in a similar situation and the frustration grows by the day. Perhaps worth emailing them to check what’s going on as you are beyond the 10 month turnaround time the Foreign Affairs minister is now claiming. They also told me there are 2 offices processing applications so it seems one is much faster than the other.

djx138
Newly Registered

Post by djx138 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:20 pm

Updated post, congratulations email received today! 🇮🇪☘️

Application: 01/01/2021
Douments Reveived: 07/06/2022
Address Confirmation: 03/03/2023
Entry onto FBR: 06/03/2023
Certificate Printed/Posted: 28/03/2023

Next step passport application 😁. I’ll update the spreadsheet with the dates above!

corky100

Post by corky100 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:06 pm

seemcd wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 am
My mother was born in Scotland in 1913.She was adopted in Scotland in 1913 by Irish born parents(born 1880s). Prior to 1930 in Scotland adoption was informal -there are NO records.
I have birth marriage and death certificates for her adoptive parents and birth parents + My mother's birth certificate with her birth parents named and surname + Her wedding and my birth certificates with her adoptive surname and parents names + Her death certificate with her birth parents and surname listed. I also have a 1921 census record showing her a part of her adoptive family.
My question is how is adoptive status identified in these circumstance with no formal adoption record. It is of interest to me since under the 1956 citizenship act children adopted by Irish families in any country automatically are deemed Irish citizens
I'm not sure what your intent is here. The adoption occured 40 years before the 1956 act. My grandfather was born in the same decade......