ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New British citizens - pregnant wife - passport delays

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gregshukla

New British citizens - pregnant wife - passport delays

Post by gregshukla » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:07 pm

Good evening forum members!

My wife and I naturalised as British citizens today morning!

She is 27 weeks pregnant. We plan to have childs delivery in Manila due to family help available there.

Looking at current processing timelines for British passports seems like it could take up to 10 weeks. This would mean airlines would not allow her to board flight for medical reasons (upto 36 weeks seems allowed for most airlines with a “fit to fly” certificate).

I wanted to ask if she can apply for her first British passport from the British embassy in Manila? This may take several months but that is fine as we dont plan to travel anywhere with infant anyway.

Plan is to travel to Manila using Philippines passport. Technically I believe this passport can no longer be used (Filipino citizenship needs to be reacquired) but we also cannot afford to take a risk with UK passport delays pushing close to due date.

If anyone has advice about other options we may have please share. We are both grateful for any guidance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: New British citizens - pregnant wife - passport delays

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 pm

You can't apply for a British passport at the embassy.
You would have to apply online and send all documents to the UK. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Also note that first passport applications from abroad after naturalisation may be flagged to UKVI for scrutiny, regarding the expectation that applicant intends to reside in the UK. Others may comment further
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

gregshukla

Post by gregshukla » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts- had not considered that. Is pregnancy support a strong enough reason even if we get flagged? We do plan on being in UK longer term (got own house and both have UK employers we will work remotely for while in Manila)

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:16 am

gregshukla wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:48 pm
Thanks for sharing your thoughts- had not considered that. Is pregnancy support a strong enough reason even if we get flagged? We do plan on being in UK longer term (got own house and both have UK employers we will work remotely for while in Manila)
It's possible to do all that. But be prepared for it to get very messy. That's why the UK government always advises that you get your first passport from the UK.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

gregshukla

Post by gregshukla » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Thank you for your responses. I think I will play it safe and apply in-country for UK passport. Hopefully it turns up in 5-6 weeks time as still able to fly then. If anyone is aware of any way this could get prioritised by HMPO please let me know. With the late stage preganancy its very touch-n-go for us.

I also just found out that applications with links to Philippines have extra documents required from outside UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... hilippines - this was another reason to apply within uk.

Thanks again everyone!!