ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for a new born child in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajan_1905
Mood:
India

Citizenship for a new born child in UK

Post by rajan_1905 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:53 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding what would be the citizenship for a newborn child in UK.
I have ILR but my partner is still on Dependent visa(from my early Skilled Worker visa). She would be eligible for ILR in 2026.

What would be the citizenship of our newborn child ?

Appreciate your response here. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship for a new born child in UK

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:11 pm

The child is British. Apply for a passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:45 pm

Provided you had ILR on the date of birth of the child, you can apply for a British passport for the child directly.

You should retain the ILR BRP for life and longer, as that and the child's British birth certificate is the only proof that the child was born a British citizen and may be required years into the future, such as when the child has children themselves.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:00 am

rajan_1905 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:53 pm
Hello,

I have a question regarding what would be the citizenship for a newborn child in UK.
I have ILR but my partner is still on Dependent visa(from my early Skilled Worker visa). She would be eligible for ILR in 2026.

What would be the citizenship of our newborn child ? As one of the child's parent in this case you had ILR at time of birth of child, the child is a British Citizen.

Appreciate your response here. Thanks

rajan_1905
Mood:
India

Post by rajan_1905 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 pm

Hello,

Hope everyone here is doing great. A qq, few people I know have confused me saying that I need MN1 before applying for child's passport. Is this correct?

One of the parent had ILR before the child was born in UK.

Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:25 pm

rajan_1905 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 pm
few people I know have confused me saying that I need MN1 before applying for child's passport. Is this correct?
No.

In your case, as the child was (a) born in the UK and (b) one of the parents had ILR before the birth of the child, the child is born a British citizen and can apply for a British passport directly with (a) their British birth certificate and (b) the parent's BRP.

Form MN1 is required if the parent acquired ILR after the birth of a child born in the UK.

As the ILR BRP is the basis for the child's British citizenship and that of their children, preserve it carefully as it may be required years from now, when your grandchildren are born, and perhaps even after that.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rajan_1905
Mood:
India

Post by rajan_1905 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:53 pm

Thanks Simon for the prompt response. I am applying for Fast Track Appointment and luckily I got one. Only Birth Certificate and ILR BRP is required, not passport ? Do they submit these documents like ILR and Passport in Fast TRack Appointments ? The reason behind this question in my passport is about to expire and I want to renew it in parallel.

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:15 am

rajan_1905 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:53 pm
Thanks Simon for the prompt response. I am applying for Fast Track Appointment and luckily I got one. Only Birth Certificate and ILR BRP is required, not passport ? Do they submit these documents like ILR and Passport in Fast TRack Appointments ? The reason behind this question in my passport is about to expire and I want to renew it in parallel.

Thanks
BC to show date of birth of child and parents BRP to show status at time of birth of child. May scan and upload before appointment. Physical or hard copy passport not required.

rajan_1905
Mood:
India

Post by rajan_1905 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:27 am

Brilliant. One final request:

In your case, as the child was (a) born in the UK and (b) one of the parents had ILR before the birth of the child, the child is born a British citizen and can apply for a British passport directly with (a) their British birth certificate and (b) the parent's

Can you share the link/doc where the above is referred from. Want to read it more to understand the process/etc.

Thanks

Jahanmou
Newly Registered

Post by Jahanmou » Wed May 10, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi Rajan

Would you kindly please let me know if you have attended a appointment for your child passport? I have an appointment next week and me and my wife both have ILR. Just to find out what you have taken at the appointment? How it was ? Did you get approved same time?

I am currently filling up the form and will attend the appointment next week? We need our BRP or passport as week?

Any help appreciated
Thank you.

rajan_1905
Mood:
India

Post by rajan_1905 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:07 am

Hello @CR001 @secret.simon,

I have a ques. I have attended Fast Track Service on 26th May for my son's passport. Is it normal if I haven't get any updates on text/email ?

THanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:19 am

rajan_1905 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:07 am
Hello @CR001 @secret.simon,

I have a ques. I have attended Fast Track Service on 26th May for my son's passport. Is it normal if I haven't get any updates on text/email ?

THanks
Not always guaranteed to get update.