ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stay outside the UK on spouse Visa.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Re21333
Newly Registered

Stay outside the UK on spouse Visa.

Post by Re21333 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:20 pm

Hi All,

I am a British citizen and my wife who recently got a spouse visa in sep 2022 which is expire in dec 2024 (Total:2.3 years ). She came to the UK in oct 2022 and went back to home due to an emergency reason.

My question is how many days she can stay outside the UK to qualify for ILR during 5 years.?
As she has got a 2.3 years of spouse visa and she needs another one more extension of 2.7 years to qualify for ILR.?

Please also send me the link for guidelines where I can find all the information I have tried to find the above information but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance for all your help on this great platform.

Kind Regard

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Stay outside the UK on spouse Visa.

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:47 pm

There is no absence lintor for spouse visa holders

You are likely referring to the brp card that expires in December 2024 and not the actual visa she was granted which the letter or email would have told you how long it is for. Brp cards are being phased out and they all expire in December 2024.

An extension of her visa will be for 2.5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Re21333
Newly Registered

Post by Re21333 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am

Very much appreciated your reply.
As you mention above there is no absence limit on this visa, if she stays a maximum number of months outside the UK still she can apply for ILR after years of completion.?
Her BRP expires in December 2024 (Total:2.3 years) and she needs another extension for 2.5 years but she is still short of 3 months to complete 5 years before applying to ILR.
Can you please summarise on this briefly from the start of the spouse visa till applying for ILR on this settlement route (Spouse Visa)?
If there is a guideline please also send me a link where I can find all these answers.
Thanks again for your hard work and support on this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am

You need to look at the approval letter or email you got when the visa was approved on what the visa duration is. A spouse visa is never granted for just 2 years and 3 months, it is either 30 months or 33 months. It is the BRP card that expires in December 2024, not the visa
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:46 am

Re21333 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am
Her BRP expires in December 2024 (Total:2.3 years)
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem
You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.
It's just the card being phased out.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Re21333
Newly Registered

Post by Re21333 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:12 am

Thanks very much for your reply (CR001 & MYSELF2).
I have checked online right to work on the gov. UK website by using our BRP number and DOB shows you can work until June 2025.
CROO1 you are absolute she has got 33 months of visa.
1. My question is if she can still travel outside the UK after the expiry of her BRP card as she has a still valid visa to leave and work. or do we need to apply for another extension.?
2. As there is no absence limit on this visa, she can stay outside the UK for any number of months to complete the 5 years and apply for ILR.?

Thank you all for this help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:34 am

1. My question is if she can still travel outside the UK after the expiry of her BRP card as she has a still valid visa to leave and work. or do we need to apply for another extension.?
It is unclear what the process will be when BRP cards are phased out. It will likely be a digital status, which might present problems when trying to get on a plan to return to the UK.
2. As there is no absence limit on this visa, she can stay outside the UK for any number of months to complete the 5 years and apply for ILR.?
Correct, just don't abuse this to avoid issues in the future regarding residence. And remember, the requirements for citizenship if that is the aim, are more strict.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Re21333
Newly Registered

Post by Re21333 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 pm

Thanks very much for your reply.
All noted.
Thanks again and much appreciate it.