ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 (online form) Children Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anti-cool
Newly Registered

MN1 (online form) Children Naturalisation

Post by anti-cool » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:21 pm

I have applied for naturalisation and waiting for the confirmation (AN), as EU citizen.
Still no answer from their answer.

I am also planning to apply for my two children, born outside the UK.
For the children, there is a different form so I didn't include them together.
I also wanted to wait for my result first and become familiar with the procedure before I spent more money.

In MN1 form I see a lot of choices regarding the application type, but what I see as relevant are:

-One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship
-Other - apply at the discretion of the Home Secretary

Once I receive the confirmation on my application then I will submit theirs immediately.
The ceremony and the procedure may take some time, but it is not important.

Is it correct to apply for the first option (one parent is applying for BC)?
The choice "apply at the discretion of the Home Secretary" seems a bit confusing.

Does it mean that if I become British and then apply for my children, even if my kids have 5 years here and 1 year EUSS, it will be more difficult for them to get BC and we are dependent on Home Secretary discretion?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: MN1 (online form) Children Naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:37 pm

Were the children born in the UK? Do they have settled status?

You probably could have included the children with your AN application - at the end you could have selected further applicants (under 18) and the system would have adjusted to MN1.

Note: You are only British once you have attended the ceremony, so it's quite important.

The option "apply at the discretion of the Home Secretary" is generally used for children who were not born in the UK. It sounds worrying but if all requirements are met they get approved. It's quite a common application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

anti-cool
Newly Registered

Post by anti-cool » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:14 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:37 pm
Were the children born in the UK? Do they have settled status?

You probably could have included the children with your AN application - at the end you could have selected further applicants (under 18) and the system would have adjusted to MN1.

Note: You are only British once you have attended the ceremony, so it's quite important.

The option "apply at the discretion of the Home Secretary" is generally used for children who were not born in the UK. It sounds worrying but if all requirements are met they get approved. It's quite a common application.
Thank you alterhase58 for the response!

a) Both children were born outside the UK.
b) Both of them live here more than 5 years now and have EUSS since 2020 (because of me)
c) their mother got EU settled status just now (not sure if it is important)

So, that means even after the approval, I can still apply MN1 with the choice:
"One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship" as far as I haven't attended the ceremony the day that I submit the application, right?

For children, if we don't have their teacher as a referee, can we use any professional standing (e.g. accountant)? Or they may reject the application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Your children apply under the Other at discretion option if applying without a parent.

If they are unhappy with your referee, they will ask for another one.

Their mother having settled status is very important, otherwise they cannot apply yet.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anti-cool
Newly Registered

Post by anti-cool » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 pm
Your children apply under the Other at discretion option if applying without a parent.

If they are unhappy with your referee, they will ask for another one.

Their mother having settled status is very important, otherwise they cannot apply yet.
Thank you CR001
If my application is still under processing (no ceremony), can I select " apply with the parent"?
Frankly speaking, that is the case (no British yet).
Or that should be done only at the same day?

If I pay and the reason is not accurate (Apply with the parent or Other), will they ask me to resubmit or automatically they will consider the right option or I lose the money of the application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:19 pm

If my application is still under processing (no ceremony), can I select " apply with the parent"?
They are not "applying with a parent" as you have already applied etc. Simply select "Other" which is the correct option for children born abroad. You should also only apply for them once you have attended your ceremony.
If I pay and the reason is not accurate (Apply with the parent or Other), will they ask me to resubmit or automatically they will consider the right option or I lose the money of the application?
You are overthinking. Just select other!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anti-cool
Newly Registered

Post by anti-cool » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:19 pm
They are not "applying with a parent" as you have already applied etc. Simply select "Other" which is the correct option for children born abroad. You should also only apply for them once you have attended your ceremony.
You are overthinking. Just select other!
OK clear, I will choose "Other". Thank you for the clarifications

I thought that even without British citizenship, if both parents are settled, we could still apply for children in MN1.
That's my understanding from the MN1 guide (page 15):
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _2023_.pdf

Children with settlement and residence
Children will come within this category if:
• the child has completed a period of lawful residence in the UK of more than 5
years
• the child has been granted settled status in the UK, and held that status for at
least 12 months
• the child’s parents have completed a period of 5 years residence and are
settled in the UK (“settled” usually means that the parent has indefinite leave to
remain in the UK)
• both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are
provided)
• there is no reason to refuse on character grounds