ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application using previous life in Uk test as proof of English

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jay_Dil
Newly Registered

Citizenship application using previous life in Uk test as proof of English

Post by Jay_Dil » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 pm

Hi- my wife is a SA national with ILR since 2011 and planning to apply for British Citizenship. I had a couple of questions on the process and requirements:

- proof of English - when she passed her Life in Uk test for her ILR in 2011 the certificate said that by passing the test she had demonstrated her competence in English and doesn’t need to provide further proof. Would this still be valid for citizenship application? As the LIT Uk test certificate is still valid.

- Proof of ILR- she doesn’t have a BRP card but does have an ILR vignette in her expired passport. Would this be sufficient or does she need a BRP or to transfer her ILR to her new passport?

Many thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Citizenship application using previous life in Uk test as proof of English

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:37 pm

Jay_Dil wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 pm
Hi- my wife is a SA national with ILR since 2011 and planning to apply for British Citizenship. I had a couple of questions on the process and requirements:

- proof of English - when she passed her Life in Uk test for her ILR in 2011 the certificate said that by passing the test she had demonstrated her competence in English and doesn’t need to provide further proof. Would this still be valid for citizenship application? As the LIT Uk test certificate is still valid. If still on HO approved list of providers, an expired English test that was used for a previous successful application can be reused.

- Proof of ILR- she doesn’t have a BRP card but does have an ILR vignette in her expired passport. Would this be sufficient or does she need a BRP or to transfer her ILR to her new passport? Stand to be corrected but no further ILR vignette so can not be transferred to new passport. Do know for work purposes vignette holders transfer to BRP.

Many thanks
Topic is a bit confusing; LIUK and English test are independent of each other and one can not be used in lieu of the other.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 pm

The ILR vignette in expired passport can still be used for naturalisation, BRP not required (unless you need to prove right of work).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Jay_Dil
Newly Registered

Post by Jay_Dil » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:30 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:37 pm
Jay_Dil wrote:

- proof of English - when she passed her Life in Uk test for her ILR in 2011 the certificate said that by passing the test she had demonstrated her competence in English and doesn’t need to provide further proof. Would this still be valid for citizenship application? As the LIT Uk test certificate is still valid. If still on HO approved list of providers, an expired English test that was used for a previous successful application can be reused.

- Proof of ILR- she doesn’t have a BRP card but does have an ILR vignette in her expired passport. Would this be sufficient or does she need a BRP or to transfer her ILR to her new passport? Stand to be corrected but no further ILR vignette so can not be transferred to new passport. Do know for work purposes vignette holders transfer to BRP.

Many thanks
Topic is a bit confusing; LIUK and English test are independent of each other and one can not be used in lieu of the other.
Thanks really helpful. On the first point just to add a bit more information- in her pass notification letter for her life in Uk test it said that her success demonstrates her competence in English and therefore no further proof of this is needed. This was used to provide proof of English language for her ILR which was successful. I’ve checked and the test centre she used is still on the list of approved providers so assuming it’s still ok to use this as proof of knowledge of life in the UK and English language

Jay_Dil
Newly Registered

Post by Jay_Dil » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:32 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 pm
The ILR vignette in expired passport can still be used for naturalisation, BRP not required (unless you need to prove right of work).
Really helpful thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:32 am

Jay_Dil wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:30 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:37 pm
Jay_Dil wrote:

Many thanks
Thanks really helpful. On the first point just to add a bit more information- in her pass notification letter for her life in Uk test it said that her success demonstrates her competence in English and therefore no further proof of this is needed. This was used to provide proof of English language for her ILR which was successful. I’ve checked and the test centre she used is still on the list of approved providers so assuming it’s still ok to use this as proof of knowledge of life in the UK and English language
First time reading LIUK used in meeting up English language requirement. Under current dispensation not sure this will fly; my opinion.
I leave to knowledgeable persons to provide clarity on this subject matter.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:14 am

As you've been earlier advised, LITUK cannot be used as proof of English Language competence.

Prior to 2017 or 2018 maybe (not sure now), just having a University degree certificate in a majority English speaking country was enough to prove English proficiency. That changed. There was a further requirement to have evidence that the course was done in English and you will be required to verify the equivalency of the degree using the Ecctis Visas and Nationality.

The alternative was to do the B1 test B1 English test (GESE Grade 5). They both cost the same amount.

Not sure there's a way around this.

Change in policy is the only constant variable in the UK immigration system. What might have been applicable in 2011 is surely not accepted in 2023.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:05 pm

Cost of B1 about £150, probably faster than ECCTIS

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:42 pm

She needs BOTh LIUK and English 1 if applying for citizenship AFTER October 2013, which is when the rules changed and English B1 separately became mandatory for both ilr and citizenship.

You cannot rely on the spouse visa and ilr rules pre July 2012 when the requirements were different for a two year spouse visa holder.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jay_Dil
Newly Registered

Post by Jay_Dil » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:50 pm

Thanks all that all makes sense and I’m glad I checked as I wasn’t that clear from the guidance. Options are to do the English test or get the Ectis verification of her degree (which was taught in English) so will look into which is quicker and cost