ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application from abroad post naturalisation and ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

EUNational_EB
Newly Registered
Poland

British passport application from abroad post naturalisation and ceremony

Post by EUNational_EB » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

Hi Everyone, I have just received approval of my citizenship application and am in the process of booking a date for the ceremony. My understanding is that I need to apply for British passport right after, sending the originals of my current EU passport and ceremony certificate. I need to travel extensively abroad with pro-longed stays abroad in EU. I'm looking at various options that would allow me to do that instead of having to stay in UK waiting for my passport (although I've read here that the timelines right now are 2-3 weeks rather than 10). Could I:

1. Apply for the British passport right after the ceremony while still in the UK and travel abroad into EU on my EU national ID card. Once my passport application is approved and passports sent back, have a friend bring them to me when she travels abroad to stay with me so I can re-enter with the British passport?

2. Do as above, but instead of a friend bringing the passport to me, return to UK using my EU national ID (risky option as I understand my settled status gets cancelled so not sure I'd be allowed in on the ID and wouldn't have the citizenship certificate with me as it would be part of the passport application)?

3. Travel to EU right after the ceremony on my EU passport and apply from abroad, using a service like Third Party Weblink removed by moderator (which I understand isn't done via an embassy/consulate, but directly with the UK passport office)?

4. Apply with a certified copy of my EU passport instead of the original, adding a letter explaining the need to travel to my application (I've read somewhere here that someone has done that and was successful)?

Has anyone had experiences with any or a combination of the above options? Really appreciate your advice, in particular if based on experience.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British passport application from abroad post naturalisation and ceremony

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm

EUNational_EB wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am
Hi Everyone, I have just received approval of my citizenship application and am in the process of booking a date for the ceremony. My understanding is that I need to apply for British passport right after, sending the originals of my current EU passport and ceremony certificate. I need to travel extensively abroad with pro-longed stays abroad in EU. I'm looking at various options that would allow me to do that instead of having to stay in UK waiting for my passport (although I've read here that the timelines right now are 2-3 weeks rather than 10). Could I:

1. Apply for the British passport right after the ceremony while still in the UK and travel abroad into EU on my EU national ID card. Once my passport application is approved and passports sent back, have a friend bring them to me when she travels abroad to stay with me so I can re-enter with the British passport?

2. Do as above, but instead of a friend bringing the passport to me, return to UK using my EU national ID (risky option as I understand my settled status gets cancelled so not sure I'd be allowed in on the ID and wouldn't have the citizenship certificate with me as it would be part of the passport application)?

3. Travel to EU right after the ceremony on my EU passport and apply from abroad, using a service like Third Party Weblink removed by Moderator (which I understand isn't done via an embassy/consulate, but directly with the UK passport office)?

4. Apply with a certified copy of my EU passport instead of the original, adding a letter explaining the need to travel to my application (I've read somewhere here that someone has done that and was successful)?

Has anyone had experiences with any or a combination of the above options? Really appreciate your advice, in particular if based on experience.

No matter what you do absolutely DO NOT apply for first passport from abroad (unless you have been granted citizenship under Section 6(2)). It has been reported that doing this can bring into question your future intentions to stay in the UK.

When are you due to travel after the ceremony? It is worth asking your council for a private ceremony or if they can let you attend an earlier one (that is what I did as someone in my family was about to undergo major surgery and I wanted to be able to travel as soon as possible in case it would be necessary).

From my understanding, for first passports it is very unusual to be able to get them granted with a photocopy of your passport, they will want to see the original, so I would exclude option 4 as well.

The best option depends on your travel schedule, and how flexible it is over the next couple of months. It is advised to get your passport sorted as soon as possible, but if you know that (for example) you will stay in the UK for a month after the next trip, you could travel with your EU passport and certificate for the first trip and apply after. If you are able to reschedule your trips of course that would be easier but it is understandable that you may not be able to. First passports are (for the most part) processed in a couple weeks - so you could apply on the day of the ceremony and alert your referee to immediately confirm your identity (this is what I have done) and, should you not get your British passport by the time you leave, as you are a visa free national, you can reenter the UK with your national ID or get your friend to bring you the passport. it is a bit risky because as you say you would have sent off your citizenship certificate so it may be tricky to answer questions at the border.

On the other hand, you have 90 days to attend the ceremony. If you are able to arrange to stay in the UK for a few weeks in the next 3 months, you could book the ceremony accordingly.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.