ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First UK Passport application from the UK for a non-resident

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zezezee
Newly Registered

First UK Passport application from the UK for a non-resident

Post by zezezee » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi guys,

A friend (Nigerian resident) of mine is a British Citizen, by virtue of being born in the UK in 1976 by Nigerian parents working for BBC in London, at that time.

Now, since then, he has unsuccessfully applied for the passport, due to lack of possession of his long birth certificate. That application was made in London about 10 years ago via his cousin, who acted as a proxy (submitted the application in the post and received the reply) for his application. Ofcourse, all forms, etc, were filled out by the applicant himself.

My friend is now trying to make the application one more time. He still lives parmenently in Nigeria BTW.

Can this application be made for him in the UK? Can he come into the UK as a visitior and make the application in person (or post) while here? Does he have to make the application overseas?

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:02 pm

A passport application should made where the applicant is present. He can come to the UK and apply but if this is first passport application, he should be aware it might takes several weeks (especially in his case as they would like to confirm his identity). This can only made by post and he would need a temporary address in the UK for the correspondence.

zezezee
Newly Registered

Post by zezezee » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 am

Thanks for the reply Jambo.

What if the applicant fills up all related forms and uses a C/O address in the UK? Would that be breaching any requirements of the Passport application proceedure? Is there any part of the application that would require him to attend in person at all?

Thanks again.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 am

First passport applicants are usually interviewed - requires attendance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zezezee
Newly Registered

Post by zezezee » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks Vinny.

What if the applicant now gets a visiting visa into the UK and make the application (and interview) in person? Reason is that it is VERY MUCH EASIER to make this application in the UK rather than in Nigeria.

The waiting times overseas for these things is annoyingly long and much more difficult with regards to the requirement. Not to even mention that the way the UKBA has re-structured the venues via which application for passports can be made is now regional; applications cannot be made in Nigeria anymore, and all applications made from African countries have to go via the regional office (South Africa). This causes long queues and waiting times are immense!

Anyway, so my friend is thinking to get a visit visa and make attend this interview in person.

Would that work?

Thanks again.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 am

This is all possible. However I suggest he contact IPS and confirm what evidence they require. I would imagine IPS would like to investigate his claim and confirm his identity showing up after 36 years.

zezezee
Newly Registered

Post by zezezee » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Of course. I would imagine he actually has no issues proving his identity to them.

Thanks for all your replies on this again.