ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change for first time passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cjc04
Newly Registered

Name change for first time passport application

Post by cjc04 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi all,

I have recently received my naturalization certificate and is in the process of preparing for the passport application. However there is one complication in that I would like to have my name changed and I am not 100% sure what supporting documents I would need to provide in additional to a name change deed. Does anyone have any experiences on this topic? I have the following questions, but feel free to add anything I might have missed:

- Do I need to change my name on the naturalization certificate first? Is it possible?
- Do I need to change my name on other official documents first and send them along with my application? Other official documents meaning: driving license, bank statement, utility bills, etc. I currently do not have anything with my new name on.
- Is there anything else that I need to provide?

I could of course just apply for the passport in my current name and then submit a another application later on to have the name changed, but I would prefer to get it all done at once if it's possible to avoid the extra time and costs.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Jack

akhurshid

Re: Name change for first time passport application

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

cjc04 wrote:Hi all,

I have recently received my naturalization certificate and is in the process of preparing for the passport application. However there is one complication in that I would like to have my name changed and I am not 100% sure what supporting documents I would need to provide in additional to a name change deed. Does anyone have any experiences on this topic? I have the following questions, but feel free to add anything I might have missed:

- Do I need to change my name on the naturalization certificate first? Is it possible?
- Do I need to change my name on other official documents first and send them along with my application? Other official documents meaning: driving license, bank statement, utility bills, etc. I currently do not have anything with my new name on.
- Is there anything else that I need to provide?

I could of course just apply for the passport in my current name and then submit a another application later on to have the name changed, but I would prefer to get it all done at once if it's possible to avoid the extra time and costs.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Jack
You'll need to change it on Naturalisation certificate first. The name should also be the same on identity documents(i.e. old passport) which you are going to use to apply for British passport.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 pm

It might be simpler to get the British passport in your current name and then change it later on, given how much another person on these forums, on which you have commented, is having with just such an issue.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 79624.html

badratio

Post by badratio » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 pm

You can change it by Deed Poll then include it with your application.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

Musicbox
Newly Registered

Post by Musicbox » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:51 am

Hello all,
I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I've written this in the wrong posting...

My wife is Thai with a Thai passport in her maiden name, she has ILR in the UK and is married to me (British). We want to get her Naturalization in the UK so as she can get a British passport. Two questions please...

1. Can she apply for Naturalization using her passport in her maiden name as section 1.7 states she should change her passport before applying to my surname, but this would mean traveling to Thailand to do this and very costly to translate documents to Thai.

2. Can you have duel passports with two different surnames.. That is, her Thai Passport in her Maiden name and British Passport in her married name???

Very confused here as all along getting ILR etc living in the UK, we had to use her original Maiden name on forms. I understand our marriage certificate proves we are married with my surname but read we may need to register on the application form after she has changed her passport / ID in Thailand... is this correct?

Kind regards to all in advance

Roy

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:48 am

Musicbox wrote:Hello all,
I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I've written this in the wrong posting...

My wife is Thai with a Thai passport in her maiden name, she has ILR in the UK and is married to me (British). We want to get her Naturalization in the UK so as she can get a British passport. Two questions please...

1. Can she apply for Naturalization using her passport in her maiden name as section 1.7 states she should change her passport before applying to my surname, but this would mean traveling to Thailand to do this and very costly to translate documents to Thai.

2. Can you have duel passports with two different surnames.. That is, her Thai Passport in her Maiden name and British Passport in her married name???

Very confused here as all along getting ILR etc living in the UK, we had to use her original Maiden name on forms. I understand our marriage certificate proves we are married with my surname but read we may need to register on the application form after she has changed her passport / ID in Thailand... is this correct?

Kind regards to all in advance

Roy
There is a new UK identity policy dating from February, see:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crac ... -detection
It has come unilaterally from HMPO & appears incompatible with current HO naturalisation policy (& some other countries' laws & traditions on names).

It is causing a lot of stress, inconvenience & delays to some respectable married women applying for first British passports.
See thread here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1196883

1) HO will still naturalise someone in their maiden name.
You may then get caught by the HMPO policy if you want to use married name but still hold a passport in maiden name..

Simplest route to a British passport is if you can settle on one name & straighten out all foreign passports first.
This is what HMPO expects you to do, regardless of how easy or possible that may be in practice, (depending on the other country & the logistics, whether via embassy or in the home country).

Alternately, can you cancel the foreign passport?
Reason: Cancelled passports do not have to be submitted with the British passport application.
(This option has also been used recently & successfully).

2) This appears to be discouraged by the new policy except in exceptional cases.
There is one recent example where this has been achieved after making a very strong case & enlisting an MP's support (etc), see:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1225431
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

has876
Newly Registered

Post by has876 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Some useful responses here!

I have a question.

My thai partner would like to change her full name on her Thai passport but do it from the UK. She is currently pregnant and unable to visit Thailand to do this.

I have been advised that the only way to do this from the UK is to do the following:

1. get a FCO certified & solicitor certified copy of our marriage certificate.
2. get a FCO certified & solicitor certified copy of my UK passport
3. Power of Attorney form completed.
4. These docs are then taken to the Thai Embassy in London to be verified and stamped.
5. Then post all the docs to Thailand to the person nominated to change the name at the district thai office.
6. A confirmation of name change will then be issued and this is to be returned back to the UK.

Using this confirmation letter, a new passport can be issued here in the UK.

Please can anyone with any know how or experience comment or verify this?