ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please advice when & how should I apply for Naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Please advice when & how should I apply for Naturalisation?

Post by Rizviraja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi, Please advice me when will we be eligible for naturalisation as British Citizen. Me and my wife both have been granted Permanent Residence card through EEA route.

We married September'2008 and our PR was issued January'2014 . My questions are :

1) Should we apply for naturalisation in September 2014 ? If yes then what kind of documents do we need to provide?

2) OR should we wait 12 months from now and apply for naturalisation in January 2015? Also please advice what documents we need to provide in this option?

Just wanted to let you know that my wife is a German citizen and I am a Srilankan citizen now.

Many thanks.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Please advice when & how should I apply for Naturalisati

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Jambo, thank you so much for the FAQ's. That is really helpful. But few things I am still not very clear. As I mentioned that my wife is an EEA- nation & I am her non-EEA family member(Husband). We both have obtained our PR through EEA-route. Does she still need to exercise her treaty rights for obtaining our British Citizenship/ Naturalisation? Or she can just do nothing but only stay in UK? Even If she does not want be naturalised as BC , can I apply on my own with providing only my PR and our residency together ? I am planning to apply for naturalisation after 12 months from obtaining PR.

I am a bit puzzled as because on FORM AN section 2.4-2.6 says I need to show how I have obtained my PR?

Please advice me ASAP.

Many thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Once you have obtained PR status, you are not dependant on your wife. She is not required o exercise treaty rights anymore (or in fact even live in the UK). You are on your own. For naturalisation each applicant applies individually (although there is a £200 discount in fees if a couple applies together).

For naturalisation you need to show you hold PR for at least one year. This can be done by either providing a 1 year old PR Card/vignette or providing treaty rights evidence to show when the 5 years were completed.

If you are not in a rush, wait until January 2015. It will make the application very light (in terms of evidence required).

The form in not very clear. 2.4 refers to the EEA national activities. If you wait until January 2015, you can skip this section (as you have a PR card for 1 year).

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Jambo wrote:Once you have obtained PR status, you are not dependant on your wife. She is not required o exercise treaty rights anymore (or in fact even live in the UK). You are on your own. For naturalisation each applicant applies individually (although there is a £200 discount in fees if a couple applies together).

For naturalisation you need to show you hold PR for at least one year. This can be done by either providing a 1 year old PR Card/vignette or providing treaty rights evidence to show when the 5 years were completed.

If you are not in a rush, wait until January 2015. It will make the application very light (in terms of evidence required).

The form in not very clear. 2.4 refers to the EEA national activities. If you wait until January 2015, you can skip this section (as you have a PR card for 1 year).
Thank you so much Jambo for your valuable advice. I really really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 am

Hi Jambo, can you please give me the link where I can see this Citizebship FAQs in UKBA website as I am having arguments with some of friends so that I can show that the Citizenship FAQs are inline with UKBA regulations?

Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:07 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi, I would really appreciate if you could help me with the following questions:

As now me(non-eea) and my wife(EEA) both have PR and we will be applying for naturalisation after having PR for 12 months. Do we also have to apply naturalisation for our daughter( she is now 4 years old and she has German passport, but we did not apply for her PR yet)? Or Should we apply for our daughter straight for British passport? When should we apply for her naturalisation or British passport? Me and my wife both have received our PR this January'2014.

Thank you.

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

Hi Jambo, I really need your advice. Please help me. The situation is My wife who is a German nation and I am a Srilankan nation. We married in UK and our daughter was born in UK and she has her German passport since my wife is a German nation. At the time she was born in 2009 , me and my wife both had residence card . And recently we both has received permanent residence card( following on EEA3 & EEA4 application). I do understand clearly that after obtaining PR, if we wait 12 months than we don't need to provide my wife's evidence of exercising her treaty rights in UK for continuously 5 years when we apply for naturalisation. My question is that is the same rule for our daughter as well, she is now 4 years old. Can we register her now as a British Citizen ? If we want to register her now, do we also have to provide my wife's evidence of exercising treaty rights for 5 continuous years? And if we wait 12 months from now then what is the difference for my daughter's to become British Citizen? Could you please also tell me how much does it cost when we will register our daughter as British Citizen and which form need to send?

I would really really appreciate a very quick advice.

many thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Yes you can register her now. The child doesn't need to have PR. just one of the parents. No need for treaty right evidence. The PR Confirmation vignette is enough. The application is quite simple.

See more in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children.

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Jambo wrote:Yes you can register her now. The child doesn't need to have PR. just one of the parents. No need for treaty right evidence. The PR Confirmation vignette is enough. The application is quite simple.

See more in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children.
Thank you so much Jambo. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi All, I need some help. I have 2 visa running in my passport. One is Residence permit for EEA family member and another one is Permanent Residence visa(through EEA4). My question is if I travel with my wify(she is an EEA nation) to Spain do I have to have schengen visa ? Or can I just travel without having any schengen visa as my residence permit for EEA family member visa is still valid? I know it is not difficult to apply for schengen visa in Spainish embassy, Just wanted to be clear.

Many thanks.

Rizviraja
Newly Registered

Post by Rizviraja » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 am

Jambo wrote:Yes you can register her now. The child doesn't need to have PR. just one of the parents. No need for treaty right evidence. The PR Confirmation vignette is enough. The application is quite simple.

Hi Jambo, I need some help. I have 2 visa running in my passport. One is Residence permit for EEA family member and another one is Permanent Residence visa(through EEA4). My question is if I travel with my wify(she is an EEA nation) to Spain do I have to have schengen visa ? Or can I just travel without having any schengen visa as my residence permit for EEA family member visa is still valid? I know it is not difficult to apply for schengen visa in Spainish embassy, Just wanted to be clear.

Many thanks.