Online EEA PR and EU passport return service available

Use this section for queries concerning applications on any of the EEA series of forms, and also for applications for EEA Family Permits.

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, sbrennan

Re: Online EEA PR and EU passport return service available

Postby LondonApplicant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:11 pm

It’s a topic about the European passport return service, so discussing whether previous passports should be provided, and what the guidance notes say on this, is relevant.

I still fail to understand how a European passport could ever prove residency.

What do you mean by jumping ship?

AFAIK there is no way a European passport would have ever been stamped upon entering or leaving the UK. This does not happen. Ever. No exceptions. None. Or am I missing something?

There may be stamps for entry and exit into/from a non-EU country, but these wouldn’t prove time away from the UK. If, say, a Dutchman spends a week in France, then one in China, then one in Spain, then goes back to the UK, the stamps on his passport will only show the week in China.
LondonApplicant

Postby noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:It’s a topic about the European passport return service, so discussing whether previous passports should be provided, and what the guidance notes say on this, is relevant.

I still fail to understand how a European passport could ever prove residency.

What do you mean by jumping ship?

AFAIK there is no way a European passport would have ever been stamped upon entering or leaving the UK. This does not happen. Ever. No exceptions. None. Or am I missing something?

There may be stamps for entry and exit into/from a non-EU country, but these wouldn’t prove time away from the UK. If, say, a Dutchman spends a week in France, then one in China, then one in Spain, then goes back to the UK, the stamps on his passport will only show the week in China.

Evidence is required for all PR applications. that is not special to online service.
And I didn't mention UK stamps.

The guidance is not the law.
The law requires an applicant to prove residence as well as treaty rights.
No single item of evidence is ever enough, passports are one example of one piece of evidence as per the HO PR guidance.
Simple as that.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.
noajthan

Postby LondonApplicant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

The point remains that a European passport cannot prove residency, nor time away from the country. Do we agree on this? If we don't, could you please provide an example whereby a European passport would somehow prove residency?
LondonApplicant

Postby noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:03 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:The point remains that a European passport cannot prove residency, nor time away from the country. Do we agree on this? If we don't, could you please provide an example whereby a European passport would somehow prove residency?

I have already provided examples.

And not everyone on EU trajectory will have an European passport; non-EEA family members also have to prove residence in UK.

And this topic is about: Online EEA PR and EU passport return service available not how does one prove residence in UK on EU route.
noajthan

Postby LondonApplicant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:46 pm

No, you haven't.
You have not clarified what jumping ship means, nor have you clarified when how or why a European passport can ever prove residency. The key is 'European'. The online process and the European passport return service (the subject of this thread) are both for European nationals only, NOT for non-European family members of European citizens.

Again, the point remains that a European passport cannot prove residency.
LondonApplicant

Postby noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:No, you haven't.
You have not clarified what jumping ship means, nor have you clarified when how or why a European passport can ever prove residency. The key is 'European'. The online process and the European passport return service (the subject of this thread) are both for European nationals only, NOT for non-European family members of European citizens.

Again, the point remains that a European passport cannot prove residency.

You need to do some of the leg work here. You need basic English to use this forum.
Google: idiom meaning jump ship.

I am not discussing specific passports as the PR guidance does not specify specific passports.
It is UKVI/HO that takes a holistic view based on all documents submitted, including, at their suggestion, in their guidance, passports.

There is not (afaik) specific guidance for specific application channels.
I have responded to your question about generic guidance notes:
"previous passports" are listed under "proof of residence" in the guidance notes

And don't make the mistake of necessarily expecting logic or commonsense or joined-up thinking from UKVI/HO either.
noajthan

Postby LondonApplicant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Ha ha, very funny. I do know the meaning of 'jumping ship'. I fail to understand how it could possibly apply to this discussion.

I said that a European passport cannot ever prove residence in the UK. You beg to differ but you have failed to explain why; you have failed to show a single case whereby a European passport, by itself, could possibly somehow prove residence in the UK.

Do you finally agree that European passports cannot prove residence? If you don't, could you please provide a single example of a case where they could?

No, I do not assume any kind of logic behind this process - that was the whole point!

Have a good day.
LondonApplicant

Postby noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:Ha ha, very funny. I do know the meaning of 'jumping ship'. I fail to understand how it could possibly apply to this discussion.

I said that a European passport cannot ever prove residence in the UK. You beg to differ but you have failed to explain why; you have failed to show a single case whereby a European passport, by itself, could possibly somehow prove residence in the UK.

Do you finally agree that European passports cannot prove residence? If you don't, could you please provide a single example of a case where they could?

No, I do not assume any kind of logic behind this process - that was the whole point!

Have a good day.

Listen and learn.

A European (or non-EEA) family member could have been on a UK domestic visa and at the same time (or later on) the dependent of an EU sponsor. It happens, search the forum.
Plenty of examples of Europeans resident in UK since 19-forgotten.
Plenty of examples of folks on T5 and similar visas too (with EU partners/spouses/sponsors).
Entry/exit whilst travelling on UK visa could/would have been stamped.

Some European members have found to their joy in examining old passports that they actually had a UK ILR stamp.
Search the forum.

Some Europeans have found their UK entry/exits recorded in SARs from UKVI too.

If such a citizen then jumped ship to EU route their concurrent time in the recent or distant past could then be considered towards acquiring PR (if they chose to confirm subsequent acquisition of PR).
And the stamped passport would help to prove residence in UK for part of this overall time.
noajthan

Postby LondonApplicant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank you so much for finally providing examples like I had asked. My mind-reading abilities are not what they used to be (I am getting old..).

Do all of these cases relate to people who first moved to the UK decades ago? I think for the last 10 years - possibly more - European citizens have not needed visas to move to another European country.
LondonApplicant

Postby noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:39 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:Thank you so much for finally providing examples like I had asked. My mind-reading abilities are not what they used to be (I am getting old..).

Do all of these cases relate to people who first moved to the UK decades ago? I think for the last 10 years - possibly more - European citizens have not needed visas to move to another European country.

No, not all veteran travellers; recent citizens of world eg T5 or T4 (students) can and do fall into such categories too.

And sometimes people only become European later in their life, they may be in UK on a domestic visa and then have become European later through marriage or naturalisation in some other country.

Hard-pressed and long-suffering caseworkers have to handle all these demographics.
noajthan

Postby mersmers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:28 pm

I have sent an application for permanent residence as family member of eea. After 4 weeks my father in law he passed away my eea wife she went to her embassy to get emergency travel document , she told them my passport it's with the home office and it takes 10 days to get it back . they issued for her an emergency travel document to able to travel and they cancel her existing passport . And they ask her to make a new passport . My question what's gonna happen to my application because my wife eea passport it's not valid anymore and it's with the home office now . Do I have to send her new passport or what do I have to do in this case ? Thanks .
mersmers
Newly Registered

Postby rooibos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 pm

The guidance notes have obviously been written by some bureaucrat who doesn't understand how European passports work.

I know a guy who has worked for the HO. I told him that I have lived in UK for donkey's years and that I had my first passport in 2015, having had an Italian ID card all the time. He asked me how it was possible that I had lived illegally in the country for so long without being arrested. In other words he had worked for the HO but never knew that ID cards were sufficient.
rooibos

EEA PR online applications together w family members of EEA!

Postby twgal » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:39 am

Sorry if this was already posted. Looks like the EEA PR online form now allows applications together with family members. Also, it looks like they don't request people to list all travel anymore.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/eea-pr

Apply for, renew, or replace a document certifying you have the right to live permanently in the UK as someone from the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

In your application you can include your spouse, civil partner, children and other relatives who are dependent on you, or part of your household, even if they are a non-EEA national.
twgal

Previous

Return to EEA-route Applications