ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Relevant EEA national's activity

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cindy88

Absence from UK during QP

Post by cindy88 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm applying for PR doc and in section 5 I must give details of absences from UK since entered.
I entered the UK in 2007 and I'd like to provide evidence of my permanent residence (my QP) from 2008 until 2013.
However question 5.3 seems to ask for all the absences since entering the UK, regardless of our QP, am I correct?

Thank you for your time and help.
Regards
C.

noajthan

Re: Absence from UK during QP

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:07 pm

cindy88 wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm applying for PR doc and in section 5 I must give details of absences from UK since entered.
I entered the UK in 2007 and I'd like to provide evidence of my permanent residence (my QP) from 2008 until 2013.
However question 5.3 seems to ask for all the absences since entering the UK, regardless of our QP, am I correct?

Regards
C.
Yes, spot on.

HO wants to be sure that you have maintained continuity of residence in UK and have not lost PR (through absence) even after you have acquired it (if you have).
So its not simply all about your QP.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi Noajthan,
thanks again for taking the time to reply.

So according to what you said, what are the chances of my application (which is going to be a joint one with my hubby as main applicant) being successful?

This is my situation.

Husband main applicant, I'm going to apply as his spouse.
    Arrived in the UK in Aug 2007:absences from the UK until Dec 2013 were about 20 days
      December 2013 until Jan 2015: one long absence of about 390 days. I had to go back to Italy with my then 2 year old son to look after a close relative, it was an emergency ( I agree, a long one), my husband didn't leave, he stayed here, also because we didn't intend to leave and I did return eventually.

Now, the qualifying period I wish to provide evidence for runs from May 2008 until May 2013, according to what you are saying I would still need to include this long absence which occurs after my QP. Are you sure? Forgive me, I do not want to sound impolite, but then, why having a qualifying period then?

Since I'm at it, I've noticed that there isn't any place in the PR form where I indicate the chosen qualifying period, is that so? I mean, I realize that the caseworker will look at the evidence provided...

I'm applying as direct family member so which parts of the form am I suppose to fill in?? Could you please be accurate, many thanks.

One more thing and I should be done (at least for tonight :lol: ) in Section 17 I must state what ties the main applicant has with country he was born... what am I supposed to write in this table?

A Big Thank you
      Regards
      C.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:55 pm

It looks like you automatically attained PR in August 2012 or May 2013. So, as you were absent for less than two years after having attained PR, you should be okay.
      This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
      We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:59 pm

cindy88 wrote:Hi Noajthan,
      thanks again for taking the time to reply.

So according to what you said, what are the chances of my application (which is going to be a joint one with my hubby as main applicant) being successful?

This is my situation.

Husband main applicant, I'm going to apply as his spouse.
        Arrived in the UK in Aug 2007:absences from the UK until Dec 2013 were about 20 days
          December 2013 until Jan 2015: one long absence of about 390 days. I had to go back to Italy with my then 2 year old son to look after a close relative, it was an emergency ( I agree, a long one), my husband didn't leave, he stayed here, also because we didn't intend to leave and I did return eventually.

Now, the qualifying period I wish to provide evidence for runs from May 2008 until May 2013, according to what you are saying I would still need to include this long absence which occurs after my QP. Are you sure? Forgive me, I do not want to sound impolite, but then, why having a qualifying period then?

Since I'm at it, I've noticed that there isn't any place in the PR form where I indicate the chosen qualifying period, is that so? I mean, I realize that the caseworker will look at the evidence provided...

I'm applying as direct family member so which parts of the form am I suppose to fill in?? Could you please be accurate, many thanks.

One more thing and I should be done (at least for tonight :lol: ) in Section 17 I must state what ties the main applicant has with country he was born... what am I supposed to write in this table?

A Big Thank you
          Regards
          C.
          Yes, I am sure.
          You don't need to believe me (why would you, I'm an anonymous person on an internet discussion forum, I may or may not be a qualified lawyer - how would you know).

Just check the Directive and the EEA Regulations in which the Directive is transposed into UK law.
          Ref http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Latest/ByPage/part1_3
          &
          http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Latest/ByPage/part2_15
          - ref 15(2)

First things first, you are not applying for PR. PR is acquired automatically (if you have it you've already got it if you see what I mean);
          what you apply for is DCPR to confirm (not grant) your PR status.

Holiday absences are fine.

The long absence is a concern.
          Only a one-off absence over 12 months is permitted and only for exceptional reasons; (pregnancy, military service etc etc).

So in your case you need to show you have acquired the holy grail of PR status before you left UK for over a year.
          You may have acquired PR via hubby from 2007 - 2012 or 2008 - 2013.

There is not a box on the form asking 'when is your qualifying period' because
          a) many people don't know and are not qualified or able to know and decide;
          b) that's the caseworker's job - to weigh up and decide the case based on the rock-solid documentary supporting evidence (that you need to submit).

Ofcourse you can help spoonfeed the caseworker a bit with a cogent cover letter if you wish.

The reason that listing absences after you have acquired PR is so important is because PR status can be lost by a subsequent absence of 2 years or more.
          Fortunately for you your long absence was less than 2 years; so you should be in the clear (assuming you had PR by sometime in 2012/13).

State what ties hubby has with home country - family, business, political & etc.
          This is an example where the monster PR form goes above and beyond what is required by PR law.
          I guess if you object to it you can skip it.

Its late and I'm tired, you'll have to figure out the sections.

Collate your evidence. Did I mention it needs to be good (if not unimpeachable) evidence.
          Print a few draft copies and have a few dry runs at it; see how it all shapes up.

Pro tip: Be aware the latest monster form is not a mandatory legal requirement.
          You could go commando and apply using an earlier (simpler) version of the form if you wish.

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:35 pm

Thank you Noajthan, your help has been greatly appreciated :D .
          Bye for now, I'm sure I'll be back.

Kind Regards
          Cinzia

cindy88

Relevant EEA national's activity

Post by cindy88 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:36 am

Hello everyone,

I'm applying for PR status and in section 9 we must make a summery of the relevant activities since entering the UK (page 47 top).

However, are we supposed to provide activities for all the period we've been living in the UK or just for the 5- year relevant period we retain more suitable?

Kind regards
          Cinzia

noajthan

Re: Relevant EEA national's activity

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am

Ideally all.
          Especially if you don't know which is the appropriate qualifying period when you actually acquired PR status.
          Caseworker will sort it out.

cindy88

Rejected Permanent Residency application

Post by cindy88 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:51 pm

I applied for PR in August 2016, I made a joint application with my husband.

We've been living in the UK for the past 9 years and we wanted to get Naturalization, so we started to get the PR first.

I've just been called by a caseworker of the HO Liverpool, she offered me a Registration Certificate instead of the PR because she said that I did NOT provide evidence of residency for the 5 year period, which is not true!

I provided evidence of residency and all other evidence required for the period 2008-2013, since it's up to us to decide which period.
          After asking many questions she said she couldn't discuss with me the criteria THEY use to choose the 5 year period but she said that since we made a joint application as husband and wife, we should've provided evidence starting from when we got married in 2010, so 2010-2015. Is this fair? I mean, I haven't found this piece of information anywhere to be honest, I'm very disappointed and upset !
          So, she asked me whether I wanted them to proceed with the PR application (knowing that it wouldn't be successful) or whether I wanted this Registration Certificate. I opted for the Reg Certificate but to apply for Naturalization I would have to go through PR again....
          She wouldn't discuss my husband application with me either, so I assume he's going to get a call as well and be offered the same...he told me he would NOT accept Reg Cert because what the HO is saying doesn't make much sense!!!

Can anyone shed some light please??? Has anyone had a similar experience??

Many Thanks
          C

noajthan

Re: Rejected Permanent Residency application

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:25 pm

You will notice there is no question on the form such as when was your qualifying period?
          The caseworker figures it out and confirm whether she agrees you have acquired PR based on evidence and information you supply.
          As advised previously (see above), you should have included evidence since you entered UK.

After all how would you know which period was valid.
          For example, there could be complications with you or your sponsor (if you have one);
          also with WRS and/or CSI and/or with absences from UK etc etc - all depending on each case.

Even if you provided 5 years of evidence (to 2013), did you show you were still resident in UK after that period?
          Did you show you did not leave UK and so lose any PR that you had acquired?

Next steps
          Suggest re-examine your timeline.
          Collate all documentary evidence to back it up. Rock-solid evidence.
          And apply again.

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello,
          I'm reapplying for PR as EEA family member (my husband's application was successful, his relevant period was 2008-2013).
          My relevant period is going to be 2010 (since we got married) - 2015.
          I'm using my husband as sponsor and since he's acquired PR status the only evidence I must provide is his PR document.
          Could anyone please confirm the kind of evidence I need to provide? thanks
          - my husband PR doc
          -evidence of living together since we got married (bank stats, utilities, ...). However in the guidance notes, section 11 it says:
          If you’re applying as the current spouse or civil partner of an EEA national (or of a British citizen, if you’re applying under the Surinder Singh route), you do not have to prove you have been living together but it will assist your application if you do.
          Shall I include them?
          -bank statements showing receipt of relevant benefits;

I think this is all I have to submit (together with passport pics and IDs).

Could anyone please tell me whether I'm missing anything? Your help is really appreciated.

Kind Regards
          C.

cindy88

(second) PR application as spouse of EEA

Post by cindy88 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 am

Hello,
          I'm reapplying for PR as EEA family member (our previous joint application was successful only for my husband, while mine was not. We chose 2008-2013 as relevant period, but caseworker told me that since I applied as spouse of EEA AND we got married in 2010, I should've provided evidence from 2010-2015).

In my new application I'm using my husband as sponsor and since he's acquired PR status the only evidence I must provide is his PR document.
          Could anyone please confirm the kind of evidence I need to provide? thanks
          - my husband PR doc
          -evidence of living together since we got married (bank stats, utilities, ...). However in the guidance notes, section 11 it says:

If you’re applying as the current spouse or civil partner of an EEA national (or of a British citizen, if you’re applying under the Surinder Singh route), you do not have to prove you have been living together but it will assist your application if you do.
          Shall I include them anyway?

-bank statements showing receipt of relevant benefits;

I think this is all I have to submit (together with passport pics and IDs).

Should I be concerned about the fact that the qualifying period I'm providing evidence for ( 2010-2015) is different from my husband's (2008-2013)?

Could anyone please tell me whether I'm missing anything? Your help is really appreciated.

Kind Regards
          C.

noajthan

Re: (second) PR application as spouse of EEA

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:02 am

cindy88 wrote:Hello,
          I'm reapplying for PR as EEA family member (our previous joint application was successful only for my husband, while mine was not. We chose 2008-2013 as relevant period, but caseworker told me that since I applied as spouse of EEA AND we got married in 2010, I should've provided evidence from 2010-2015).

In my new application I'm using my husband as sponsor a...

Kind Regards
          C.
          Yes if applying as a dependent rather than in own right you start from when relevant relationship with sponsor started (in your case: wedding); that is assuming you were both in UK then and sponsor was a qualified person.

Assuming hubby hasn't lost PR status then it doesn't matter that your period is later.

You have to submit evidence of
          • both person's ids;
            your relationship;
            sponsor's status;
            both person's residence in UK;
            absences within limits (both persons);
          Under EU law you don't have to cohabit but if you have evidence that you do then provide it as part of residence evidence.

Start here:
          https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... als-v4.pdf

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:40 am

Hi noajthan, thanks for your answer and the link.

My husband acquired PR status in May 2013 (document was issued last week) so when we got married (in 2010) he didn't have PR status yet, does it matter?

Thanks again
          C.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:57 am

cindy88 wrote:Hi noajthan, thanks for your answer and the link.

My husband acquired PR status in May 2013 (document was issued last week) so when we got married (in 2010) he didn't have PR status yet, does it matter?

Thanks again
          C.
          No it doesn't matter if he was a qualified person even before acquiring PR. And he must have been in order to acquire PR in that period.

Follow the guidance on the form and in the guidance notes.
          For example, see questions 9.1 / 9.2 / 9.3

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:55 am

Hallo,
          I must provide evidence I've received child benefits, should I enclose copy of bank statements for each month for the past 5 years, or do you think 2 bank statements per year would suffice?

As for evidence of living in the same household, same question, how many utility bills/bank statements (in both our names) should I provide per year?

Again, many thanks for your help
          C.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:35 pm

Apologies, but your application sounds all muddled up.

First things first. What are your nationalities?
          cindy88 wrote:December 2013 until Jan 2015: one long absence of about 390 days. I had to go back to Italy with my then 2 year old son to look after a close relative, it was an emergency ( I agree, a long one),
          You can not rely on a 2010-15 qualifying period because your 390 day absence resets your residence clock to zero. So, your PR clock would have restarted from zero in January 2015 if you had not acquired PR before December 2013.

So, it all boils down to what you did between 2007 and 2010. Assuming that you are an EEA national, did you exercise treaty rights between the time you entered the UK (2007) and marrying your husband? If so, how?
          I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Simon is correct your extended absence from UK is a problem if you had not acquired PR status by then.

Your history has only become clear now that all your various topics have been merged into a single holistic thread.
          (This is one reason why we have a Board rule about multiple posts).

The earlier candidate period (to 2013) failed as you were not married to sponsor at the time (or for all of the time).
          This marital history wasn't made clear when you originally posted your case involving you and husband.

The later period (2010+) since fails as your continuity of residence in UK was broken due to prolonged absence.
          This was not made clear when you decided to shoot for a later period following caseworker feedback on the initial failed application.

Looks like your PR clock will only have started up again (from zero) on your return to UK in Jan 2015 (??) (after marriage).

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:35 am

Hi nojthan,
          I'm an EU citizen (Italian)
          The later period (2010+) since fails as your continuity of residence in UK was broken due to prolonged absence.
          This was not made clear when you decided to shoot for a later period following caseworker feedback on the initial failed application
          yes I did make it clear in my previous application that I left the country from Dec 2013 until Jan 2015, and then sorry, isn't the limit of absence 450 days over 5 years? If I'm wrong could you please point me to an official document? Thank.

The case worker knew about this long absence when she called me, she didn't mention anything about that, she said that I should provide evidence for the period 2010-2015 because I made my application as spouse of EEA national.

Secret.simon sugges:
          So, it all boils down to what you did between 2007 and 2010. Assuming that you are an EEA national, did you exercise treaty rights between the time you entered the UK (2007) and marrying your husband? If so, how?
          So, can I apply in my own right? Even if I was dependent of my husband (before getting married, I mean 2007-2012) and I show bank balances (in both my husband and my name), could it work? I studied over that period...could you please help again??

Thank you
          C.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:58 am

cindy88 wrote:isn't the limit of absence 450 days over 5 years?
          That is the requirement for naturalisation. However, the requirements for PR are different. Continuity of Residence is broken if there is an absence of more than six months in the year. You are allowed "one absence from the United Kingdom not exceeding twelve months for an important reason such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training or an overseas posting." (Regulation 3(2)(c))

Note that PR and naturalisation are different processes, under different laws and have different requirements. Naturalisation is granted (i.e. is not automatic) under the British Nationality Act 1981, a British Act of Parliament. PR is acquired automatically if specific requirements of EU Directive 2004/38/EC are met. See Article 16, Paragraph 3 of the Directive for the same requirement as regards continuity of residence.

But because PR is granted by the law itself and not the Home Office, if requirements of the law are met, it also means that if you fail even one requirement, you have failed to acquire PR. In other words, there is no human discretion, no special circumstances, etc.

For PR, you need five continuous years of either exercising treaty rights yourself or being sponsored by a family member (which is restricted to only a spouse or parent or child, not boyfriend) who is either exercising treaty rights or who has PR themselves.

So, for you to acquire PR in your own right before your long break, you will need to have exercised treaty rights in your own capacity between 2007 & 2010. Your husband could only have started sponsoring you after marriage. Before marriage, he may be providing your needs, but that does not count as sponsorship for the purposes of EU law.

If you did not work between 2007 & 2010, you could still be considered as exercising treaty rights if you were either a student or self-sufficient (such as your needs being provided by your boyfriend) and were covered with
          private health insurance (also called CSI)
          (i.e. not the NHS). Having a non-UK EHIC card for the entirety of that period could be a stand in for the CSI/private health insurance requirement. Some people have reported success by being covered by their partner's work health insurance plans or by their parents health insurance plans in their home countries. You may want to check on them.

So, let's go through your situation bit by bit.
          a) Did you work (continuously) between 2007 & 2010?
          b) If not, were you covered by private health insurance in that period (see above for alternatives)?

If both (a) and (b) are answered in the negative, your PR clock will only have started back from zero in January 2015.

Make absolutely sure that your husband does not apply for British citizenship before you get your PR (in January 2020, according to my calculations). If he acquires British citizenship, his sponsorship of you under EU law will cease.
          I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 am

Hi secret.simon,
          thank you for taking the time to write this useful reply.
          a) Did you work (continuously) between 2007 & 2010?
          I didn't work but I studied and I had my European Health Insurance Card, however it seems not clear whether this card would be considered valid evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance by the HO. I might try to contact the HO and ask them....
          Make absolutely sure that your husband does not apply for British citizenship before you get your PR (in January 2020, according to my calculations). If he acquires British citizenship, his sponsorship of you under EU law will cease.
          Could you please elaborate on this? So, if my husband acquired British citizenship before I acquired PR he wouldn't be able to be my sponsor in my PR application, but, how would I then be able to apply? why wouldn't a British citizen be able to sponsor me, would I need to get another sponsor? Could you please be so kind to point me to the Eu regulations about this matter, many thanks.

How do spouses of British Citizens acquire Br. citizenship then? I assume they would still need to go through PR application (provide 5 years of evidence exercising treaty rights) AND apply for Naturalization (providing evidence or residence for the past 3 years). Is this right?

Thanks again secret.simon

Regards
          C.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:32 pm

On CSI - foreign-EHIC IS acceptable:
          https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... issued.pdf

In this context BCs are not EEA citizens.
          EEA nationals who are also British citizens are not considered to be ‘EEA nationals’ for the purposes of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (‘the Regulations’). This applies whether or not the British citizen has always resided in the UK.
          A family member of a dual EEA national and British citizen does not have a right of residence under the regulations on the basis of their relationship to the dual national.
          If they do not have a right of residence on any other basis under the regulations, they will need leave to enter or remain in the UK under the Immigration Rules.
          Clearly, if no sponsor, and no way that the holy grail of PR status was acquired in own right, then its going to be curtains if remaining sponsor naturalises at the 'wrong' time.
          With Brexit looming it may be a case of who blinks first.

On Direct Family Members - including details of dependents who are disenfranchised when sponsor becomes British.
          https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... als-v4.pdf
          - page 28+

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Hello,
          I'm going to try to apply for PR doc in my own right.
          I was either a student or self sufficient for most of the time, I'm going to provide evidence for all the time I've been living in the UK since my arrival in 2007 and let the case worker decide which 5 year period should be my qualifying period.

When I say I was self-sufficient I mean that I was financially supported by savings of our previous jobs( jobs my then boyfriend and I had prior to coming in the UK) or my husband's UK jobs.

In section 9.9 of the form (page 49) I should state how much I received and how often but since we've always had a joint bank account I wasn't given a periodic and fixed amount of money, I could access money whenever I needed to. I think it would be enough to explain this in section 9.10 and leave those two columns blank...?

How many bank statements should I provide for each year?

I also need to provide a signed and dated letter from my husband confirming that he has been supporting me + evidence of his finances, would the same bank statements I'm going to provide for myself be enough to prove his finances? I guess so, also because he doesn't have any other income except for his job.

When I was a studying I had my Italian EHIC which covered that period, so fingers crossed this piece of evidence is going to suffice.

Thanks again for your precious help
          C.

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi,
          can any of the moderators answer the questions of my previous post, many thanks.
          Regards
          C.

cindy88

PR application how much evidence

Post by cindy88 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Hello,
          I'm going to try to apply for PR doc in my own right.
          I was either a student or self sufficient for most of the time, I'm going to provide evidence for all the time I've been living in the UK since my arrival in 2007 and let the case worker decide which 5 year period should be my qualifying period.

When I say I was self-sufficient I mean that I was financially supported by savings of our previous jobs( jobs my then boyfriend and I had prior to coming in the UK) or my husband's UK jobs.

In section 9.9 of the form (page 49) I should state how much I received and how often but since we've always had a joint bank account I wasn't given a periodic and fixed amount of money, I could access money whenever I needed to. I think it would be enough to explain this in section 9.10 and leave those two columns blank...?

How many bank statements should I provide for each year?

I also need to provide a signed and dated letter from my husband confirming that he has been supporting me + evidence of his finances, would the same bank statements I'm going to provide for myself be enough to prove his finances? I guess so, also because he doesn't have any other income except for his job.

When I was a studying I had my Italian EHIC which covered that period, so fingers crossed this piece of evidence is going to suffice.

Thanks again for your precious help
          C.