ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need visa for France?/ French emba refused visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
mcovet wrote::D ha ha the problem is, it may work every time without any questions by IOs, when your eea is around, but won't ironically work when you travel alone, as it usually happens :D
That is a combination of Murphy's law and Schrödinger's cat as applied for European free movement.
I get it with Murphy's law but didnt understand the cat parallel and the actual definition.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I am not sure I can even explain it right now. But basically if the EU spouse is with you, then all goes well. And as soon as the EU spouse stays home...

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks guys

I think TLS Contact gave the option to book an appointment directly with the embassy but it takes up to a month and I think I have to call TLS to do so but it takes a week with TLS contact for an appointment. 

I'll definitely ask TLS contact for my money back, there is no harm in doing so.

One thing that baffles me is that my passport didn't get stamped by the French immigration on entry and exist and when asked whether I needed a visa on entry the guy said I do but when I mentioned we mentioned my eea rights stuff, he replied; this is what I do everyday. You travel without a visa and you'll see. On exist I way also told I need a visa. 

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You should definitely complain.

You should also definitely do a SAR: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/navig ... onal-data/
That will give you a copy of your file.
Thanks Directive for suggesting I do a SAR, but what benefits will it serve me? I probably know all the info they've got about me. Do you see this changing anything, or can further steps be taken after getting this file to make sure they delete past immigration history?
Last edited by bluecole2 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:03 pm

bluecole2 wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You should definitely complain.

You should also definitely do a SAR: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/navig ... onal-data/
That will give you a copy of your file.
Thanks Directive for suggesting I do a SAR, but what benefits will this serve me? I probably know info they've got about me. Do you see this changing anything, or can further steps be taken after getting this file to make sure they delete past immigration history?
They can update inaccurate info held about you but not delete it. However, as you are under EU law, they cannot take into account any of your past transgressions unless you present a current threat to public security, health or some other public policy, which is a VERY high threshold! So you are ok

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:14 pm

I was asked about my pass immigration history at the airport by the grumpy IO talk wrote about. I'm I entitled to refuse to answer any question relating to my immigration history, if asked?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:38 pm

bluecole2 wrote:One thing that baffles me is that my passport didn't get stamped by the French immigration on entry and exist and when asked whether I needed a visa on entry the guy said I do but when I mentioned we mentioned my eea rights stuff, he replied; this is what I do everyday. You travel without a visa and you'll see. On exist I way also told I need a visa. 
I am not sure if I understand this.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm

The reason to do the SAR is two fold:
(1) it is interesting in general, sometimes very interesting
(2) they may have recorded somewhere that you said you "eat purple elephants" which might be incorrect

And it only costs £5

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
bluecole2 wrote:One thing that baffles me is that my passport didn't get stamped by the French immigration on entry and exist and when asked whether I needed a visa on entry the guy said I do but when I mentioned we mentioned my eea rights stuff, he replied; this is what I do everyday. You travel without a visa and you'll see. On exist I way also told I need a visa. 
I am not sure if I understand this.
I expected to get a stamp on my passport to show the dates I entered and exist France but that wasn't the case.

As for the SAR, its not 10£. New year price increase perhaps. That's isn't a problem anyway.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:08 pm

If you have a Residence Card, then border guards should not be stamping your passport. In fact it is illegal for them to do so.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:If you have a Residence Card, then border guards should not be stamping your passport. In fact it is illegal for them to do so.
I have Schengen entry and exit stamps splattered all over my passport and not once did a border guard hesitate to do so. I however challenge the UK border guards who either request that I fill out a landing card or gesture to stamp my passport.

I really cannot be bothered to learn God knows how many languages to be able to intelligibly argue my case at other EU borders. Learning French while keeping my cool is challenging enough!
Last edited by Plum70 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:39 pm

mcovet wrote:there is a way to apply without using TLS service. You have to call them and INDICATE that you would prefer a direct application, this way there will be an official from the French Embassy who would accept your application.
So I have to call a premium rate number and ask to see an embassy official? Any known reason why calls can't be made direct to the French?

I'm sure I have a number somewhere...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Plum70 wrote:I really cannot be bothered to learn God knows how many languages to be able to intelligibly argue my case at other EU borders. Learning French while keeping my cool is challenging enough!
If your Slovenian is not good enough, I would stick with a language like English. They should all speak at least some of it.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

bluecole2 you should keep you answers to those addressing relevant questions ONLY! So, if they ask you are you working, you can say that you derive your rights from your EEA family member who is working herself/himself. If they ask you questions about your fam member then again, it depends if questions are relevant. Their border manual says that they must keep their questions to the minimum if:

1) you have the Residence Card (as this kind of indicates your eligibility already);
2) most importantly, if you are travelling together with your family member!

Don't be afraid to stand up for your rights and respond in a cool, collected manner.

The main questions they normally ask are: what's your family member's nationality, where are they now, how long have you been away, why is your fam member not with you (irrelevant, but no need to make a big deal), what is your family member's occupation (i.e. how are they exercising treaty rights). If questions deviate too far from these ones, you may object and ask them to stick to those relevant questions which ascertain that you are STILL entitled to be in the UK.

As regards Plum's note on stamping passports. Need to clarify one thing, the UK border guards may NOT stamp passports (Regulation 11(1) I think of the 2006 Regs) and/or demand landing card to be filled out (based on Article 24 of Directive 2004/38 on equality, which basically says that if EU/Brits aren't required to bark, neither should their family members! It is also clear from their own Border Force Manual).

As regards French and other Member States stamping passports, this is because if you have a Schengen visa AND travel alone (are not joining or accompanying your EEA fam member), you are not exercising the Free Movement Directive rights and are subject to the standard procedure.

Also, even if you are travelling together with your family member, as far as I am concerned, unless you obtain a residence permit from one of the Schengen states, they will keep stamping your EEA RC from UK. But yes, if you have a Schengen visa issued, then expect it to be stamped by everyone except UK border guards.

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 pm

mcovet wrote:bluecole2 you should keep you answers to those addressing relevant questions ONLY! So, if they ask you are you working, you can say that you derive your rights from your EEA family member who is working herself/himself. If they ask you questions about your fam member then again, it depends if questions are relevant. Their border manual says that they must keep their questions to the minimum if:

1) you have the Residence Card (as this kind of indicates your eligibility already);

Don't be afraid to stand up for your rights and respond in a cool, collected manner.

The main questions they normally ask are: what's your family member's nationality, where are they now, how long have you been away, why is your fam member not with you (irrelevant, but no need to make a big deal), what is your family member's occupation (i.e. how are they exercising treaty rights). If questions deviate too far from these ones, you may object and ask them to stick to those relevant questions which ascertain that you are STILL entitled to be in the UK.

As regards Plum's note on stamping passports. Need to clarify one thing, the UK border guards may NOT stamp passports (Regulation 11(1) I think of the 2006 Regs) and/or demand landing card to be filled out (based on Article 24 of Directive 2004/38 on equality, which basically says that if EU/Brits aren't required to bark, neither should their family members! It is also clear from their own Border Force Manual).

As regards French and other Member States stamping passports, this is because if you have a Schengen visa AND travel alone (are not joining or accompanying your EEA fam member), you are not exercising the Free Movement Directive rights and are subject to the standard procedure.

Also, even if you are travelling together with your family member, as far as I am concerned, unless you obtain a residence permit from one of the Schengen states, they will keep stamping your EEA RC from UK. But yes, if you have a Schengen visa issued, then expect it to be stamped by everyone except UK border guards.
There's where guards both at entry and exist of the Frence border and entry at uk border neither of them stamped my passport that includes a type C Schengen visa.

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:24 am

Hi guys,
just an update.

I e-mailed the French embassy last night, suprisingly I got a reply today. This is what they said-

Dear Sir,

May I first inform you that:
- the Directive 2004/38.ce relative to visa exemptions for spouses of EU Nationals does not apply to spouses of French Nationals;
- in the absence of the requisite proof of relationship - the Livret de Famille being compulsory for family members of French Nationals, the French Consulate could not exempt you from paying the visa fees/ from providing the proof of accommodation - Attestation d'accueil - whilst in France;
- should applicants prefer not to use the TLS services, they are invited to request a direct appointment with the Consulate - option that is clearly advertised on our website.

Cordialement/ Regards,
MT
FCG, London

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi guys,

My wife had recently complained to Solvit regarding this matter. Surprisingly, it's Solvit UK that replied. This is their response below which I'm absolutely unsatisfied with. Please advice me on how to Take this matter forward.

The response of the French Authorities appears to be that, as a French national, your marriage needs to be registered and a Livret de Famille presented with the application.  It appears from the correspondence that, as France does not recognise your marriage, the relationship is then not recognised for the purposes of issuing your husband with a visa under EC legislation.

I am aware that marriage does not fall under EC legislation, and it is therefore not possible to overturn any formalities of Member States in respect of the recognition of the marriage.  If France requires all marriages involving French nationals to be registered in France, then it will not recognise the marriage for the purposes of identifying your husband as meeting the definition of spouse under Directive 2004/38/EC.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:05 am

Hi bluecole2,

long term solution: Complain to the European Commission, maybe you´ll have a solution after 10 years-ish...

short term solution: Apply for a visa with another Schengen-country. I´d go for Austria, as their staff is usually well trained and pretty easy on family-member visas.

Good luck & happy travels,
Christian

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:If you have a Residence Card, then border guards should not be stamping your passport. In fact it is illegal for them to do so.
I have Schengen entry and exit stamps splattered all over my passport and not once did a border guard hesitate to do so. I however challenge the UK border guards who either request that I fill out a landing card or gesture to stamp my passport.

I really cannot be bothered to learn God knows how many languages to be able to intelligibly argue my case at other EU borders. Learning French while keeping my cool is challenging enough!
Plum, you case is a tiny bit different as a Swiss spouse. The UK treats Swiss spouses in the same way as if they were EU (but only because there are so few of them and it would be a pain to do otherwise). That does not necessarily mean that other EU countries must do the same. Switzerland does not have to nor does comply with the directive.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 pm

bluecole2 wrote:Hi guys,

My wife had recently complained to Solvit regarding this matter. Surprisingly, it's Solvit UK that replied. This is their response below which I'm absolutely unsatisfied with. Please advice me on how to Take this matter forward.

The response of the French Authorities appears to be that, as a French national, your marriage needs to be registered and a Livret de Famille presented with the application.  It appears from the correspondence that, as France does not recognise your marriage, the relationship is then not recognised for the purposes of issuing your husband with a visa under EC legislation.

I am aware that marriage does not fall under EC legislation, and it is therefore not possible to overturn any formalities of Member States in respect of the recognition of the marriage.  If France requires all marriages involving French nationals to be registered in France, then it will not recognise the marriage for the purposes of identifying your husband as meeting the definition of spouse under Directive 2004/38/EC.

Without commenting on the French position, one could easily enter via anther neighboring state>

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:37 pm

mcovet wrote:bluecole2 you should keep you answers to those addressing relevant questions ONLY! So, if they ask you are you working, you can say that you derive your rights from your EEA family member who is working herself/himself. If they ask you questions about your fam member then again, it depends if questions are relevant. Their border manual says that they must keep their questions to the minimum if:

Article 24 does not appear to have been transposed in UK law...

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for you contribution once again guys.

With respect this doesn't provide a solution to this problem. What I want is to ague my case with solvit, saying why I think the French are wrong to require me to have a visa to enter France under eea regulation regardless of whether I had a livret de famille or not.

And it doesnt make sense to apply for visa with another schengen country while traveling with my spouse, moreover it unlikely it would be issued.

What happens if I travel with my spouse through another eea or schengen state with my spouse without a visa and decide to go to France (that required me to have a visa to enter France)

Please guys help, perhaps this could help others that are married to French national who also are required to apply for visa to enter France.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 am

bluecole2 wrote:...And it doesnt make sense to apply for visa with another schengen country while traveling with my spouse, moreover it unlikely it would be issued...
This would make perfect sense, and it will most likely be issued.

Why would you think otherwise?

To apply for a visa as an EEA-family-member all you need is: Both passports+marriage certificate.

You do not need:
  • anything else, such as
  • invitation
  • hotel reservation
  • health insurance (although it´s advisable to have anyway)
  • or whatever else they might come up with
  • any justification why or where you want to go to
So you can apply with any Embassy, for example the Austrian, tell them you want to go to Vienna... And then you can go to France with that visa. If they ask legally you wouldn´t have to reply anything, but you can just say your plans changed. End of story!

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks ca.funke

Just to clarify,
Can I travel with my spouse e.g to Vienna without a visa?
Can I also apply for visa to enter Vienna, if travelling with my spouse?
Do I definitely have to apply for visa if traveling e.g to Vienna alone?

Looking forward to your reply, thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Since you have a UK issued Residence Card, many Schengen member states will not be willing to issue you a visa. They will just allow you to travel with your RC.