ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I switch from a VWP visitor visa.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mbalmer
Newly Registered

Can I switch from a VWP visitor visa.

Post by mbalmer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:51 pm

I'm coming to the UK on a visa waiver from the USA and want to be able to extend my stay after the 6 months. If I get a place on a university course, get a relevant skilled job offer or meet a girl, will I be able to switch to the relevant tier 4, tier 2 or fiancee visa, or will I need to leave the country first.

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Can I switch from a VWP visitor visa.

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 pm

mbalmer wrote:I'm coming to the UK on a visa waiver from the USA and want to be able to extend my stay after the 6 months. If I get a place on a university course, get a relevant skilled job offer or meet a girl, will I be able to switch to the relevant tier 4, tier 2 or fiancee visa, or will I need to leave the country first.

Thanks
No, need to return home. Bear in mind:

1. Student courses not cheap.....

2. For job offer need to be either highly skilled or in a shortage occupation.

3. Prospective spouse would need to funds to sponsor you and meet the financial requirements.

Don't enter UK with CV's job specs etc in your bags, if searched and found you'll likely be bounced.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Wise words from Wanderer. You will be unable to switch to any other visa category from within the UK while you are here as a visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:38 pm

mbalmer wrote:I'm coming to the UK on a visa waiver from the USA and want to be able to extend my stay after the 6 months. If I get a place on a university course, get a relevant skilled job offer or meet a girl, will I be able to switch to the relevant tier 4, tier 2 or fiancee visa, or will I need to leave the country first.

Thanks
Here you say you are married to a British Citizen. Please clarify.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1237430
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:

Thanks
Here you say you are married to a British Citizen. Please clarify.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1237430
Son using same account as mom no doubt.

Puzzled why the ambitions are mutually exclusive: study/work/girl - why not go for 2 or 3 of them.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.