ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name on BRP subsequent to marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

suman03
Newly Registered

Change of name on BRP subsequent to marriage

Post by suman03 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm

I currently hold Entrepreneur tier 1 visa and have recently got married in September 2015.

Apparently, I need to inform home office regarding change of surname subsequent to marriage within 3months. Do they mean within 3 months from the date of marriage or 3months when you have changed it officially on passport? I have spoken to Indian office regarding passport renewal and they have said it takes 4 to 6 weeks to process.

I have changed my name on bank accounts and companies house suggested by my accountant (which he and his wife reckons you can call anything yourself in this country, obviously he did not consider the fluff which comes with the visa conditions) but the passport and BRP are still with my original name. Does everything need to be consistent? Or I can show marriage certificate and tell them I will change on passport when it’s the right time and subsequently notify the home office.

Is it advisable to keep my maiden name until I renew or switch Visa and not go through the hassle of changing surname at this point of time and revert back to my original names in bank and companies house? I ask as there is no legal requirement to change my surname anyway,

If the suggestion is to go ahead and change the name then I would like some advice to how to proceed with home office BRP change of circumstance (TOC) application.
(https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... GOV_UK.pdf).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Change of name on BRP subsequent to marriage

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Does everything need to be consistent?
Yes, Ideally as it will make everything much easier.

You can change your name on your BRP when you have received your new passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

suman03
Newly Registered

Re: Change of name on BRP subsequent to marriage

Post by suman03 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Thank you for the reply.
I do understand it needs to be consistent. I am concerned about the time frame though. Should I revert back until I sort my passport. I have to travel in feb. If i give my passport for renewal now and then BRP, it is not going to be back before feb. It is the timing what's bugging me. Do I revert back for now and change everywhere later after I come back? Or it is not big issue for few months? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks a lot.